Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Production Owner: 5K miles! Lots of small issues.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience with the car.
Vin in the 16k range. I hit 5k miles. I bought the car in May, so while i had the car for a while i do have low miles (I was out of the country for two months).

While I'm happy with the car, i did expect issues. However, i'm lucky enough to live in the SF bay area so fixes happen pretty fast.

My issues that have been fixed.

Tail lights Condensation issues. Replaced 3 of the 4 taillights. All done by mobile service. The 1 I didn't replace will need to be replaced as it comes and goes.

Frunk. Broken acutator. Replaced. However, New Frunk doesn't work as of right now, seems like same issue as before. Scheduled to replace in 2 weeks.

Passenger door handle
. Replaced by mobile service. Broken but now works fine .
Passenger door gasket. Was loose. Replaced.

Charger port. Replaced by mobile service. Touch to open wasn't responsive. Works fine now.

My issues I currently have...

Both Front head lights. Condensation issues at times, light but noticeable if you really look for it. Doesn't fog up, but it does look like a wet shower on the inside if you look for it. I have PPF on my headlights so i'm feeling reluctant to change them out as of now. Not needed as of now but will do so when my warranty is nearly up.

Both Front fog lights. Major condensation issues. Reporting it and schedule to replace in 2 weeks when i go in for other work...

Backseat floor. Hallow sound in certain area. Don't know if this is normal...but it's really strange.

As of now those are all my issues.

Don't get me wrong, i love the car. But it's like dating someone really high maintenance at times. While i hoped to own the car for a long time, at this point I think it would be a bad idea to own it out of warranty.

Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience with the car.
Vin in the 16k range. I hit 5k miles. I bought the car in May, so while i had the car for a while i do have low miles (I was out of the country for two months).

While I'm happy with the car, i did expect issues. However, i'm lucky enough to live in the SF bay area so fixes happen pretty fast.

My issues that have been fixed.

Tail lights Condensation issues. Replaced 3 of the 4 taillights. All done by mobile service. The 1 I didn't replace will need to be replaced as it comes and goes.

Frunk. Broken acutator. Replaced. However, New Frunk doesn't work as of right now, seems like same issue as before. Scheduled to replace in 2 weeks.

Passenger door handle
. Replaced by mobile service. Broken but now works fine .
Passenger door gasket. Was loose. Replaced.

Charger port. Replaced by mobile service. Touch to open wasn't responsive. Works fine now.

My issues I currently have...

Both Front head lights. Condensation issues at times, light but noticeable if you really look for it. Doesn't fog up, but it does look like a wet shower on the inside if you look for it. I have PPF on my headlights so i'm feeling reluctant to change them out as of now. Not needed as of now but will do so when my warranty is nearly up.

Both Front fog lights. Major condensation issues. Reporting it and schedule to replace in 2 weeks when i go in for other work...

Backseat floor. Hallow sound in certain area. Don't know if this is normal...but it's really strange.

As of now those are all my issues.

Don't get me wrong, i love the car. But it's like dating someone really high maintenance at times. While i hoped to own the car for a long time, at this point I think it would be a bad idea to own it out of warranty.
You might be fine as long as they fix all of the issues before your out of warranty. But hey you only put 5k on it in a year, so it should be fine for a while. I have almost 5k on mine in only a couple months.

Also May delivery (April production) VIN 19xxx

One tail-light had moisture issue, fixed by mobile service.
Frunk secondary actuator stopped working, fixed by mobile service.

While i hoped to own the car for a long time, at this point I think it would be a bad idea to own it out of warranty.
Best time to make that decision is as it approaches out of warranty. What was the manifestation of the frunk problem? I picked up mine in early Nov. The only problem I have is maybe a touch to open issue, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but my last update was the winter one and the whole charge port thing feels whacked now. I think it worked better before. For instance if I remove the plug the lid would auto close after a few seconds, now it doesn't. I have to close from inside. The other one is the fan (heat) seems to whistle at times, esp while it's on high initially. My wife thinks it's road noise but I think it's the heater fan. Needs more investigation.

Frunk problem started where sometimes when you asked it to open it would only pop part way then be stuck. You could re-close it and try again and then it would usually open. But after a while it just only opened about 1" and then was stuck that way.

Apparently, there are 2 latches there, and the 2nd one stopped working.

68xx VIN here. had a rattle and condensation in tail lights. both are fixed. Car feels the same as my friend's 162xxx.

most likely the little metal diamond-shape piece fell out. surprised they didn't just glue a new one back in.

Frunk problem started where sometimes when you asked it to open it would only pop part way then be stuck. You could re-close it and try again and then it would usually open. But after a while it just only opened about 1" and then was stuck that way.

Apparently, there are 2 latches there, and the 2nd one stopped working.
Thanks! Is it supposed to fully open or just 'pop' as you said but fully open when lifted? I think the only time mine's been open is when the woman physically doing the delivery demo'd it. I don't recall whether it popped open as in angled towards my chest or just waist.
If it's warm tomorrow (NE CT) I'll have to try it but it's so fussy about how to close it apparently.

Actuator as in the mechanical part of opening? I didn't know there were two.

In most ICE cars the primary latch is mechanically connected to somewhere in the cabin and a secondary safety latch you have to put your hand under the hood to release.

On the 3 frunk there are two identical electrically actuated latches - in case one fails when you are driving down the road. On low VIN cars one or both can seize and the frunk will not open. When Mobile service came out to fix mine they replaced both latches with an updated part.

• Informative
Reactions: wcorey