Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Production Owners: Would you add AWD for 6K?

Would you pay 6K for AWD?

• Yes, would do so.

Votes: 39 45.3%
  • No, fine with LR RWD.

Votes: 47 54.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I kind of did that. I traded in the RWD for the AWD at the beginning of October. Identical cars except for the AWD.

The trade in valuation they gave me was MORE than my net cost for the car after the state and fed tax credits. And the car had 4500 miles at the time of trade in. You may just want to have them give you a trade in offer and see.

• Informative
Reactions: SD_Engnr
Who provided the trade-in valuation? Tesla?

Yes, Tesla did. I emailed a sales advisor at one of the local galleries and he got me a quote within a couple of days. They are good for 1 month or 1000 miles. I did have to refresh the quote once as it took about 6 weeks for the new car to be ready for delivery. And the bizarre thing is the quote went UP a few more hundred during that time.

The whole thing is still crazy to me. Either they were just trying to push new car sales numbers, or they will take the RWD it and resell it in a state that doesn't have a high state tax credit like Colorado? Or both? But they buyer on a used one cannot claim the fed credit.

I thoroughly researched the credit first....you can take multiples of both the state and CO credit in the same year in my circumstances.

• Informative
Reactions: Hans L
Curious to see if any first production owners would add AWD to their 3 if Tesla offered it.

If Tesla offered it, I'd pay for it to upgrade my car.

No, I would not pay to downgrade my car ;)
For me, worse efficiency makes it a no sale for me. I don't need the extra acceleration and RWD works just fine for me in Minnesota winters.

I would do it as I seriously regret not getting the AWD upgrade before ordering my LR RWD.

After having the car for a few months, I think my plan is to keep the LR for a few years and upgrade to a used P3+.

I don't regret it per se: I'm glad I have had my 3, and not some temporary ICE, since March. But I wish I had awd now. This is pretty much my plan, too.

So those of you who ditch your P3D+ for a 2020 roadster in a few years, give me a call. :D

Reactions: tread