Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First puncture with model 3 this morning.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First puncture for me last week on the 3P - slowly losing pressure due to a nail. I was in a little quandry whether just to manage the pressure drop daily as the wheel had only 7K miles. In the end booked it in for a repair, and ended up with a new tyre... grrr.

In fairness Kwik fit seemed to have got their act together (well in Basingstoke) and as I was booked in, I was in and out within 30mins.

P zeros in 20s are a little pricey £285.

I also carry one of these, but it is for emergencies really - its also a thing of beauty :)

IMG_3259.png

Last edited:
I also carry one of these, but it is for emergencies really - its also a thing of beauty :)

IMG_3259.png

I've always wondered about one of those. Does anyone have any hands on experience?

TBH, if im going to be needing to remove wheel at side of road to effect a repair, I would be calling on AA instead. I'm not convinced that it would be possible to use one of these without removing the wheel - I cannot see how you can get the leverage to remove a stubborn item and ream out the hole whilst wheel is still fitted. Its really about jacking the car safely without risk of it moving - done it loads of times on other cars, and had a jack point fail on one old car, but roadside jacking of Tesla with mobile non manufacturers jack solution (that I do carry) seems to be a whole different ball game with proximity to battery. I just hope that AA and/or my portable compressor will cover any reasonable options, although I once did get a puncture in Australian outback so know that emergency services are not always on hand!

At home its a different matter, I have a suitable trolly jack and a set of off season wheels to call upon an a good independent garage that would effect any legal repair for cost of a couple of bacon butties.

But as you say, its a thing of beauty...

I've always wondered about one of those. Does anyone have any hands on experience?

TBH, if im going to be needing to remove wheel at side of road to effect a repair, I would be calling on AA instead. I'm not convinced that it would be possible to use one of these without removing the wheel - I cannot see how you can get the leverage to remove a stubborn item and ream out the hole whilst wheel is still fitted. Its really about jacking the car safely without risk of it moving - done it loads of times on other cars, and had a jack point fail on one old car, but roadside jacking of Tesla with mobile non manufacturers jack solution (that I do carry) seems to be a whole different ball game with proximity to battery. I just hope that AA and/or my portable compressor will cover any reasonable options, although I once did get a puncture in Australian outback so know that emergency services are not always on hand!

At home its a different matter, I have a suitable trolly jack and a set of off season wheels to call upon an a good independent garage that would effect any legal repair for cost of a couple of bacon butties.

But as you say, its a thing of beauty...
Fronts are easy, put some lock on and roll the car forward until the requieed part is visible

Rears, they require you to lie on the floor. For a nearside wheel and right handed person it's not too bad, at least on a MY. You again roll the car until the puncture is sort of at the 4 o'clock position. You can then successfully access it. Ask me how I know... The offside might be more difficult for a right handed person as you need to go from the back of the car as its easier, and the angle of the dangle doesn't suit that arm.

Does anyone know if there is a Road Hero equivalent for the Model 3 Performance 20" wheels? All I can find are the 18" and 19" variations. I'm happy to lose some boot space but gain the ability to fix a puncture myself if I could find a 20" version somewhere!

Does anyone know if there is a Road Hero equivalent for the Model 3 Performance 20" wheels? All I can find are the 18" and 19" variations. I'm happy to lose some boot space but gain the ability to fix a puncture myself if I could find a 20" version somewhere!
Wouldn’t a 19inch be ok? Outer diameter difference between 19 and 20 should be negligible due to different tyre aspect ratio. Somebody on here must have one for a Performance…?

Wouldn’t a 19inch be ok? Outer diameter difference between 19 and 20 should be negligible due to different tyre aspect ratio. Somebody on here must have one for a Performance…?

Yes you are probably right - I saw some say specifically not suitable for the Performance model which is why I was puzzled. I shall investigate and report back as I'm definitely going to carry a spare in case my wheel gunk kit doesn't save me. :)

Yes you are probably right - I saw some say specifically not suitable for the Performance model which is why I was puzzled. I shall investigate and report back as I'm definitely going to carry a spare in case my wheel gunk kit doesn't save me. :)
Performance has some differences to the other models regarding wheel fitting. iirc its more than just having to accommodate the different callipers.

Performance has some differences to the other models regarding wheel fitting. iirc its more than just having to accommodate the different callipers.

Yes indeed, though there are plenty of aftermarket 18inch wheels that fit the Performance ... just not the Tesla 18inch, ironically. If I was @fastknight I would see if there's anyone local with a Road Hero 18 inch and see if it fits or not ... it will be obvious if it doesn't. (@fastknight - If you're in the Scottish Borders you can try mine.)

The tyre weld held for the few days I was away. Got home and then took it to a garage. I got the “first available appointment” for 1630 on sat for a quick repair. As soon as I mentioned it had tyre weld in he said it can’t be repaired! We decided to do a winter / summer tyre swap, at 1330 on sat, I’ll clean out that he weld from the damaged winter tyre and they will then repair in due course 🤯

Yes indeed, though there are plenty of aftermarket 18inch wheels that fit the Performance ... just not the Tesla 18inch, ironically. If I was @fastknight I would see if there's anyone local with a Road Hero 18 inch and see if it fits or not ... it will be obvious if it doesn't. (@fastknight - If you're in the Scottish Borders you can try mine.)

Thank you for the very kind offer - though being down in the South West we couldn't be much further away from each other! :)

ModernSpare list their 18" as being compatible with 20" wheels - they even have a video explaining it.

I will email RoadHero and check - the fact that the Performance Model has the 20" wheel option I think is what causes some confusion at times.

Reactions: Adopado