Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First puncture with model 3 this morning.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my first puncture in my model 3 this morning and I have to say, I got through to service pretty quickly. There however is where the good stuff stopped. I was surprised to learn that they do not repair punctures or replace tyres at the road side (in a car park as it happens), all they are willing to do is to arrange my car to be towed to a local (within 50 miles) tyre repair shop.

Now I should add at this point that when I bought the car, I inquired about the lack of not only a spare (common place with cars these days) but also no jack etc and was told by the friendly salesperson that Tesla repair or replace remotely, great I thought and never really gave it another thought until this morning.

So essentially, all they are offering is to tow the car to a local tyre garage, within 50 miles. So I need to do all the phoning around, checking availability and stuff and then get back to them, seriously!!!

The final insult was when I naturally asked if Tesla would take responsability for any damage incured while a local garage replaired or replaced my tyre and of course the answer is NO. So essentially, this is yet another service that is not worth the paper it is written on.

The Tesla policy has always been a bit vague. Words like "if we can" and "we may have a loan wheel" don't really help. I think service/sales centre staff just don't like being negative about the service they offer before you buy whereas a simple "we don't cover accidental damage including punctures" would at least leave you knowing where you stand.

Many have other forms of breakdown cover, I have some with my bank account, and carry a tyre compressor which can often allow you to limp along until you get to a tyre place.

None of this helps you, sorry, hope you get it sorted quickly and maybe you can get it repaired?

I've got the AA, had it non stop since early 90's and I do have a small compressor but that's not the point I don't think. I've been back onto them giving it this and that and they eventually agreed to check my local Tesla service center but surprise, surprise, they dont have any in stock.

I've got the AA, had it non stop since early 90's and I do have a small compressor but that's not the point I don't think. I've been back onto them giving it this and that and they eventually agreed to check my local Tesla service center but surprise, surprise, they dont have any in stock.
fair enough, i heard too many stories regarding the level of Tesla breakdown/recovery services before I even owned a Tesla, so I would bypass them all together. In fairness I don't think my BMW cover was any better

Reactions: init6
Took me over 2 years to get my first M3 puncture. Fortunately the 12V compressor I carry kept me going until I could get to a tyre shop for a repair. I also carry a Jack and a puncture plugging kit but didn’t need to use it. My previous car came without a spare but at least it was supplied with a compressor and tyre sealant kit.

Reactions: alangold
I have a space saver wheel, and jack kit in the boot ever since I bought the car from brand new.
Didn't want to be stuck on the side of a motorway for several hours with a screaming child at the back......
I know from experiene how slow AA/RAC can be, even if I was in the city center they could take hours.....

diabolical-the-boys.gif

Reactions: Kenners
I've heard varying stories about Tesla recovery and different opinions about what customers ought to expect.

Some people say it is for breakdowns only, i.e. major problems with the car. Others suggest that a flat tyre is essentially a breakdown, just not a mechanical one, and should surely be covered in the same way, after all you're stranded either way.

Unfortunately, as you've found out, the Tesla recovery service is a "best endeavours" thing rather than something you can actually rely on, which is counter-intuitive. I certainly would not be relying on it for stress free, no questions asked recovery.

I feel for you OP, this is poor from Tesla. I was also specifically told that if I got a puncture/breakdown that Tesla would fix roadside. If this isn't the case then they will be getting an earful from me. That is false advertising.

Reactions: Caramel
fair enough, i heard too many stories regarding the level of Tesla breakdown/recovery services before I even owned a Tesla, so I would bypass them all together. In fairness I don't think my BMW cover was any better
My experience of BMW cover is them coming and vulcanising the tyre on your drive (G05 X5). At roadside they'll generally plug if safe to do so, had assumed most other manufacturers would be the same but this thread has given me cause to consider taking our breakdown for the first time in, well, the first time!

Here's the breakdown policy. It is quite specific.

For a flat tyre it commits to towing the car up to 50 miles.

For "a malfunction attributable to a warrantable issue" transportation is covered up to 500 miles to the nearest Tesla Service Centre. You pay if Tesla decides it is not a warrantable issue. If it's a serviceable item that fails (brake pad, windscreen, you are stuck in mud ...) then no help here.

They might help you if you are locked out of your car.

Then a long list of what is NOT covered.

I read it before buying the car and kept my breakdown cover going.

Attachments

• roadside-assistance-policy-en.pdf
    141.9 KB · Views: 182
One of our bank accounts is a Nationwide Flex + which includes UK and Europe breakdown cover. Used it twice (non Tesla) for flats with the wife’s car and they were great. Took it to a local tyre repair centre (of my choice). That’s all I ask, to be honest. They’d do the same with a Tesla, I asked them.

Reactions: pharwood
One of our bank accounts is a Nationwide Flex + which includes UK and Europe breakdown cover. Used it twice (non Tesla) for flats with the wife’s car and they were great. Took it to a local tyre repair centre (of my choice). That’s all I ask, to be honest. They’d do the same with a Tesla, I asked them.
Nationwide FlexPlus now uses AA for breakdown cover. £13 per month for the breakdown, travel insurance and mobile phone cover.

Also a Nationwide Flex user...one of the few banks still offering these kind of services and long may it continue I hope. Not had to use breakdown yet, but phone insurance has been great on 2 accounts and the cover for holidays is pretty good as standard.

Reactions: pharwood
Got it sorted the old fashioned way, a trip to Kwik Fit and a wait.

For me this is just another item in a long list of expectations from Tesla that they have not delivered on. If I'm being honest, would I have expected them to come and fix a puncture or replace a tyre at the road side if it had not been specifically mentioned by the salesman, probably not and that is kind of my point.

Reactions: DrJFoster
Glad it's sorted.

I'm a big believer that happiness comes from low expectations and delivery that exceeds it. I don't know whether its Tesla, their staff, the media or some of the owners singing their praises that have pushed expectations to really high levels, and I've been in your camp where I really expected better than they delivered. The sad part of this is the product is pretty damn good but you're still left with a slightly bitter taste in your mouth, all because you'd been led to believe they were simply the best with no slippery sales folk and Tesla owning all the sales and service centres.

Old thread but saves a new one. First puncture in 22 years of driving and obviously it was in the M3, with no spare, on the way to a few days away - in heavy rain!

So, TPMS warning about 20 mins in to the drive. All were 1-2 psi down but the rear left was 6 psi down. Stopped, checked, found nothing so topped up and carried on. Warning gone.

10 mins later, rear left back to 38 psi. Stopped, checked and found a screw perfectly in the middle of the tyre hissing away. Obviously being Jesus’ birthday there was nothing open so topped up and pushed on to the nearest big services where I sold a kidney in exchange for a can of tyre seal.

This worked well but the tpms Showed over 50 psi a few miles later. Not wanting a blowout, I stopped again. And let some air out. Seemingly far too much as I was then down to 36psi! Great day so far! I think the foam expanded in the sensor causing the excessive reading.

Anyway, parked up, got the train into London and will see what happens after the trip away. Due a winter / summer swap anyway so hopefully not horrendous 🤞🏻

I carry a plug kit, the type with a big needle and sticky strips, and been successful twice fixing punctures. The risk is you make the hole worse before it gets better so if you fail with the repair, it’s really not driveable. Ok to try at home but a last resort while out.