TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First Range Charge Question

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by tnt1971, Jul 18, 2016.

1. tnt1971

tnt1971 Member

I have never charged my battery beyond 90%, and most of the time I don't charge it above 50%. I have an 85D with just under 6,000 miles. This Sunday I am taking a road trip and will do a range charge for the first time. If I time it to finish when I want to leave, how much extra time should I allow to get to 100%? I normally get 29-30 mph of charge on my home charger. Is there a taper on a range charge using a Level 2 charger?

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

The taper doesn't start until well past 90%, I think about 96 or 98%. It takes me about 100 minutes to go from 90% to 100%. If you're ready to leave, just don't bother getting those last few miles.

3. jgs

jgs Member

There is a taper. I'm not sure how long it takes, I always either (a) range charge to 100% overnight and then it doesn't matter, or (b) range charge and then get too impatient to let it get through the last 2-3 miles of taper and drive away.

4. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

At that rate of charge, I'd estimate about 2 hours to get to the full 100%. There is a definite taper and I'd guess that the last 30 minutes or so will be used for just a percent or two of charge. I wouldn't worry too much about timing it precisely. Have a safe and fun road trip!

5. cjt3

cjt3 Member

I usually get around 29 mph up to 98%, and then it takes 20-30 minutes for the last 2%.

6. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

In my 85, charging at 40A, going from 90-100% takes 60-90 minutes. It definitely tapers off at the end, and at the end I believe it's just balancing the pack. The time needed to balance can vary a lot depending on just how out of balance your battery was to begin with, so it's hard to say just how long it'll take to get to the point where the car says charging is complete. As the others say, if it's not done when you're ready to go, just unplug it, you're losing out on very little extra mileage at that point. And don't be afraid to start the charge early, too. It's best for the battery not to sit at 100% for prolonged periods of time, but an hour or two won't do it any meaningful harm.

• Like x 1
  7. tnt1971

tnt1971 Member

Just finished the first range charge. If anyone's battery would be out of balance, it would be mine. Most of my charges are to 50%, which is 136.9 to 137.4. My full charge came out to 274.8 on an 85kWh battery. The taper did not happen until 99% and the extra time was only about 15-20 minutes to get the last two miles. I don't know if I buy the balancing speculation.

• Informative x 1