Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Range Charge Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never charged my battery beyond 90%, and most of the time I don't charge it above 50%. I have an 85D with just under 6,000 miles. This Sunday I am taking a road trip and will do a range charge for the first time. If I time it to finish when I want to leave, how much extra time should I allow to get to 100%? I normally get 29-30 mph of charge on my home charger. Is there a taper on a range charge using a Level 2 charger?

I have never charged my battery beyond 90%, and most of the time I don't charge it above 50%. I have an 85D with just under 6,000 miles. This Sunday I am taking a road trip and will do a range charge for the first time. If I time it to finish when I want to leave, how much extra time should I allow to get to 100%? I normally get 29-30 mph of charge on my home charger. Is there a taper on a range charge using a Level 2 charger?

At that rate of charge, I'd estimate about 2 hours to get to the full 100%. There is a definite taper and I'd guess that the last 30 minutes or so will be used for just a percent or two of charge. I wouldn't worry too much about timing it precisely. Have a safe and fun road trip!

In my 85, charging at 40A, going from 90-100% takes 60-90 minutes. It definitely tapers off at the end, and at the end I believe it's just balancing the pack. The time needed to balance can vary a lot depending on just how out of balance your battery was to begin with, so it's hard to say just how long it'll take to get to the point where the car says charging is complete. As the others say, if it's not done when you're ready to go, just unplug it, you're losing out on very little extra mileage at that point. And don't be afraid to start the charge early, too. It's best for the battery not to sit at 100% for prolonged periods of time, but an hour or two won't do it any meaningful harm.

Reactions: benjiejr
Just finished the first range charge. If anyone's battery would be out of balance, it would be mine. Most of my charges are to 50%, which is 136.9 to 137.4. My full charge came out to 274.8 on an 85kWh battery. The taper did not happen until 99% and the extra time was only about 15-20 minutes to get the last two miles. I don't know if I buy the balancing speculation.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear