Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First "real" post and soliciting opinions on the inventory car I've got on hold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was it a trade in or was it a Tesla loaner? If it was a loaner, there may be a chance it was never registered and may be eligible for govt incentives? Although it does have a fair number of miles on it, so that may not be possible. Just trying to help sway your decision...

For the price listed, with all the Options and the car being a Performance: JUST DO IT.
Sounds like an awesome car.
Do you get the $7,500 tax credit?

In two months your wife will have driven many more than 4,400 miles (@ 100 miles per day).

I have 21" wheels, think they fit the car well.
Yes, they may wear out a bit sooner than the 19", but the 21s are awesome, especially in a P.

Go with the NEMA 14-50, should keep your car full (while you sleep).
For spontaneous trips to Austin, stop @ Waco for a quick top up.

The only other point would be perhaps one with the new door handle improvements. I wonder what VIN that changed?
Door handles are a free retrofit at the service center. I wouldn't let this influence my purchase decision much at all.

- - - Updated - - -

there's no wall charger; that would be $1200 more (the ability to charge in a few hours at home is a nice feature for us); we could live with a NEMA but eventually, we'd feel compelled to buy a wall charger for faster charging at home.
I meant to reply to this earlier. I'd "take advantage" of the opportunity to get the twin chargers without paying for the HPWC. Some new customers want exactly this option and are being told either (a) it's tricky but doable or (b) not doable -- depending on who they talk to from Tesla.

Get the car without the HPWC. Get a 14-50 installed (50A circuit, 40A to car). Don't buy an HPWC for at least a month unless you find someone selling one for, say, $800 or less on this forum. If after a month you don't find one for sale on this forum, then have the chat with your wife about whether it's worth $1200 to you (+ installation) to get the likely-rarely-used HPWC.

You may decide you want the HPWC, but you definitely don't need to pay retail at time of purchase of the car. Some customers ordering today wish the online configuration let them do that.

"But if I get the 14-50 and later want the HPWC it will cost me another electrician visit and $".
That's correct. It would cost you another visit but, I suspect, after you've driven the S a bit you and your wife will "have fun discussions" about who gets the vehicle on various days (like custody) and end up wanting to get an X or a Gen3 down the road. If that eventuality seems likely to you (soon after getting the vehicle) and you decide you want the HPWC, you'll probably find that you want the HPWC line run in addition to the 14-50 line rather than as a replacement for the 14-50. This leaves you able to charge one car "fast" and the other "half fast" which is pretty good, IMO.

I agree with Brianman. I debated on the HPWC and didn't order it. After a month, now, I have found the regular 14-50 charger is more than needed. As I don't have solar and electricity is 36 cents/kWh here, I try to charge elsewhere. But I don't even plug her in at home until she's down to about 100 miles...and even at that, she can fully charge overnight on the 14-50. Save the $. Get the car--that's a good deal!

I would buy that Model S as fast as I could fill out the paperwork! In my opinion, at today's new prices, that's a deal! As far as the HPWC the big expense other than the charger itself is paying a qualified electrician to hook it up as a 14-50 and then change it over to the HPWC, you could probably save a few bucks by running the larger wire now when you put in the 14-50, that way if you upgrade to a HPWC the larger wire is already in place and all the electrician will have to do is connect the HPWC instead of going back into your breaker box, pulling wires, blah blah blah. Tell the electrician what your planing so he or she can leave enough extra wire or whatever he might need to do.

Last edited:
Not exactly. They will fix all your door handles and replace them over and over again, but they don't give you the new style. Had three different service visits for door handles, and a few too many self opening door incidences to my liking.

Door handles are a free retrofit at the service center. I wouldn't let this influence my purchase decision much at all.

- - - Updated - - -

For the price listed, with all the Options and the car being a Performance: JUST DO IT.
Sounds like an awesome car.
Do you get the $7,500 tax credit?

Yes, we still get the $7,500 tax credit because it's a service loaner. Plus, it's been governed to 80 mph its entire life thus far, which gives some comfort that it hasn't been Ferris Bueller'd too much.

We are waiting on some additional details and some photos but we are leaning very, very strongly towards getting it. Our current thinking is that it seems too good a deal to pass up.

The next few days are going to be interesting…

Last edited:
I would go with the loaner. I'm VIN 9555 and have had zero issues, only been to the service center to have my tires rotated. To me, the fewer moving parts with an electric motor make buying used a much less risky deal. And since it will carry the warranty.. you get a deal!

I'm a bit... erm... conservative with my dollars and have had no problems at all buying dealer demonstrators (and twice I've purchased cars previously in service as rental cars). I wouldn't worry at all about the car's age; Tesla will take care of you. Sounds like a great deal, I'd jump on it.

I'm a bit... erm... conservative with my dollars and have had no problems at all buying dealer demonstrators (and twice I've purchased cars previously in service as rental cars). I wouldn't worry at all about the car's age; Tesla will take care of you. Sounds like a great deal, I'd jump on it.

So are we. In the past 20+ years, we've only bought one car new (an M Roadster). The rest have been purchased gently used. We love the cost savings. I joke (perhaps not so jokingly) that buying a gently used car, with its inherent slight flaws and signs of wear, eliminates the anxiety over the first scratch, swirl, or ding, because they've already happened.

Not exactly. They will fix all your door handles and replace them over and over again, but they don't give you the new style. Had three different service visits for door handles, and a few too many self opening door incidences to my liking.

- - - Updated - - -

I had one very intermittent door that would not open sometimes. They replaced all mine with the new style no problem. They all work great. I guess its to the discretion of the SC.

Given the post right before this one, I'm compelled to ask: which service center?

There is a long thread on this. Stanford wanted the property, and they basically split it into the Burlingame Center and the new one in Palo Alto. Palo Alto opened in October. Its only a few miles down El Camino.

If I remember correctly (which I at times do not because I am not great with details), the new door handles can't be swapped in the older cars as it is not just the door handle but the mechanism in the door. And it isn't a policy thing?

I'm not compelled to ask another question due to the word "closed" - when, roughly?

My reason for asking: perhaps this was relatively early in the "handles research" phase before the technology and policy had evolved.

On the negative:
  • the 21" tires are pricier (that's actually a significant concern, considering the decreased wear and increased price of the 21" tires); Would it be possible (and not stupid?) to see if they'd swap the wheels to 19" if that turns out to be a factor in our decision?

• Definitely ask. They probably won't do so for free (used vs. new) but it's worth asking. Tesla might take the 21" wheels back and give you 19" wheels (or aeros) at extra cost. You may be able to make a private trade. You want the 19"s.
    [*]there's no wall charger; that would be $1200 more (the ability to charge in a few hours at home is a nice feature for us); we could live with a NEMA but eventually, we'd feel compelled to buy a wall charger for faster charging at home.
    Unless you have a really unusual driving habit and drive a *hell* of a lot around town, you probably won't actually need it. NEMA 10-50 gets you 0 to full in 10 hours, aka overnight. Do you drive more than 265 miles per day while stopping at home in the middle of the day? I suppose perhaps you do, and if so the wall charger is worth it. Otherwise not.

One big thing I'm wondering is, this appears to be an older car (the enhanced stereo is priced at $950 on the sticker instead of $2500 and apparently this was back when the premium interior lighting, nappa, alcantara, smart air, and spoiler were included in the price). Does this mean there might early production issues that might compel me to get a lesser equipped, new model instead?
    No, it's not that early a model. (I'd be wary of a Signature, but this is well into production.)

But be aware that parking sensors are available as an option on new models, and not on this old model (well, not without a retrofit charge of $8000 or something). That may make a large difference. (Same issue with the winter weather package, but that won't matter to you in Dallas.)

- - - Updated - - -

brianman, she puts about 100 miles per day, on average, on her car. She's going to drive it like she stole it, though, so figure higher than average drain for those 100 miles.

Eh, call it 120, leaving you with 145. You need, say, 220 to get to Austin. 220 - 145 = 75 miles of charge. Drive to the Supercharger in Waco (which you should reach easily with 145 miles of charge) and refill there on your way to Austin. No fast home charging needed. But if you feel more comfortable with the home 72 amps, go for it.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a long thread on this. Stanford wanted the property, and they basically split it into the Burlingame Center and the new one in Palo Alto. Palo Alto opened in October. Its only a few miles down El Camino.

If I remember correctly (which I at times do not because I am not great with details), the new door handles can't be swapped in the older cars as it is not just the door handle but the mechanism in the door. And it isn't a policy thing?
    It is the mechanism. The mechanism can also be swapped out, and this was done for some people's cars. Apparently your sevice center is now refusing to do it. That's kind of... uncool on the part of Tesla, at least if you bought the service contract which promised "hardware upgrades".

Would you classify a 700 range U.S. Sig as "older"? They replaced all four of my handles.

I wonder if the factory would consider adding the parking sensors?
They have the hole punching machine there in Fremont.

And /or maybe the motorized retractable mirrors?

Be prepared to pay a bit more for both if you really want those Options as a retrofit/ further upgrade.