Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First "real" Powerwall test...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ah
got it
We had our first test last week during PG&E rolling blackouts. Didn't know it happened until I got text notice on phone

I never got a notice. Is that a setting somewhere?

I found the notification setting in the phone app, but it was already set ON. I wonder if notifications rely on internet service. If it relies on AT&T cell service, well, we don't have that. :D

We live in a remote area of Arizona and rely on microwave antennas for internet. When the power goes out the repeater stations only have about 15 minutes of backup power before they go down. The repeater we use is about 2 miles LOS from our house and the entire community lost power, so it did too.

You can also lose internet for a few minutes if your modem or router restarts when the PW takes over. This can happen even if the change appears instantaneous. My home network restarted about half the time, so now I have a small UPS for my router and modem.

The repeater we use is about 2 miles LOS from our house and the entire community lost power, so it did too.
You should ask your WISP to put in a bigger battery and solar power for it. That is the way our WISP has it set. The battery they installed can run the repeater for days since we often get multiple days of fog in the winter with no sun for the solar panels to charge them. Since they upgraded with this capability 10 years ago we have not been out of inet since.

Reactions: SSonnentag
i really need to install a ups in our network panel to keep the modem and router going. I totally forgot about the ONT, and need to check to see if it has a battery installed in it for backup... i was really hoping the turnaround for the PW's would be fast enough, but it appears that it can cause sensitive equipment to restart which i'd rather not happen...

Yes - important to backup the ONT, router, and also any repeaters/network extenders, if and as needed.

Of course, none of that helps with a situation like today where the idiots doing road work apparently cut through a line, and now we have no service. I wanted PWs because we had had some issues with power, but no problems at all with FiOS. Now I guess I need to wait for SpaceX to get Starlink up and running to address that risk.

i really need to install a ups in our network panel to keep the modem and router going. I totally forgot about the ONT, and need to check to see if it has a battery installed in it for backup... i was really hoping the turnaround for the PW's would be fast enough, but it appears that it can cause sensitive equipment to restart which i'd rather not happen...

I know where I am (Verizon FiOS) the ONT battery backup explicitly states that it only works to keep the phone working during an outage - it will not help with internet/TV.