TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First residential Tesla Powerwall installed in Sydney suburb

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by S'toon, Jan 28, 2016.

1. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Full article at:
    http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/design/first-residential-tesla-powerwall-installed-in-sydney-suburb/news-story/01f781cf4e4350950e6d90464a095bc6

2. AntronX

AntronX Member

#2 AntronX, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    The article says install cost starts at $13K AUD ($9210 USD). That's $1316/KWh USD installed. At this price, it will take 27.5 years and 7147 cycles (at 70% DOD) to cost break even time shifting off-peak electricity with FP&L TOU plan. This is crazy expensive. Edit: Seems like that price may include solar panels too, making above calculation wrong.

3. CTemp222

CTemp222 Member

How many powerwalls have been installed in the US?

4. bh1783

bh1783 Member

According to this article it says an 8 year payback(without taking into account carbon tax rebates)
    The Tesla Powerwall is finally rolling out. First stop: Australia

According to Pfitzner's calculations, for his family, there should be a return on investment in less than eight years. "If [power] prices go up, or in the likely scenario we get a carbon tax back, it's going to be good."

5. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

According to the installer's website, this is likely a package that includes a 5 kW solar array, SolarEdge inverter with StorEdge, and installation on top of just the PowerWall.

6. GSP

GSP Member

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of any Powerwall installations in the US. I am in California and really want one this year. I made an email "reservation" the day after the Tesla Energy launch last year but have heard nothing since from Tesla.

8. roblab

roblab Active Member

I have an old EV friend who lives in the North Bay San Francisco area. He has been hired by Tesla to be a Powerwall Installer. As far as I know, he's still training. I had my reservation in early, also.

9. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

10. miimura

miimura Active Member

I believe Australia has a feed-in tariff system that strongly encourages self-consumption. In other words, you pay retail for everything you pull from the grid but get much less credit for anything you push into the grid. This is a good reason to use battery.

11. spentan

spentan Active Member

Having grown up in Australia and moving to SoCal (for a Tesla, I might add) a couple of years ago, I can definitely confirm that Solar Power is very popular there. Both my (rented out) and my parents' houses have a 5kW system on the roof, I have an SMA Sunnyboy with SunPower panels, and my parents have a Fronius Inverter with Renesola panels.

Yes, this is correct. So when they started, they used to have a feed-in tariff of about 60c per kWh. There is a person in Canberra that took out a mortgage in order to buy about 30kW worth of system, so that after his loan was paid off, he'd be making solid money every year. (There was no reasonable limit on how much solar you could put on the roof).

Yes, they got rid of that pretty quick, (they were grandfathered until 2020 iirc). I remember shopping around and most power companies would give you between 4-7 cents per kWh as a feed-in tariff, while still charging 19c for offpeak and 38c for peak.

So apart from maybe California, Aussie Power is extremely expensive, and there is huge dependence on Coal Power plants. Hence the push to sell powerwalls there (and in other countries) first.

12. Brunel

Brunel Member

#12 Brunel, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    UK installers are taking Powerwall pre-orders now and claim installations can happen in March, which came out of the blue. At £6k and assuming you have a Solaredge inverter already it is not cheap, but I know quite a few who will order - if you can afford to and want to add to the momentum and economies of scale then fine!