Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First RHD delivery in UK March 2014 - Elon Musk to delivery himself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prince William.

UK still has a system that allows manufacturers to put a royal crest on the packaging or marketing for a product: "By Appointment To His Majesty Price William" would be a killer move for the UK. The real money in the UK is still the old money and William is de-facto the UK's highest ranking celebrity with the possible exception of QEII. Charles is not as popular. It would make a lot of sense for Musk to show up for a handing over ceremony to Royalty, much more so than to an ordinary celeb. Pretty sure the recipient was described as important. Royalty is important. Celebrity is merely famous.

Brandson is no PR coup, too well known as Musk's buddy. Does not say enough to hand a car to a mate and as pointed out above, Brandson basically lives in the British Virgin Islands, not England.

The reason I think PW is possible is because the UK government has appointed Musk to consult on EV rollout. If I was Musk I would both suggest and trade the royal appointment with Price William as the best possible way to kick off the deal.

Prince William.

UK still has a system that allows manufacturers to put a royal crest on the packaging or marketing for a product: "By Appointment To His Majesty Price William" would be a killer move for the UK. The real money in the UK is still the old money and William is de-facto the UK's highest ranking celebrity with the possible exception of QEII. Charles is not as popular. It would make a lot of sense for Musk to show up for a handing over ceremony to Royalty, much more so than to an ordinary celeb. Pretty sure the recipient was described as important. Royalty is important. Celebrity is merely famous.

Brandson is no PR coup, too well known as Musk's buddy. Does not say enough to hand a car to a mate and as pointed out above, Brandson basically lives in the British Virgin Islands, not England.

The reason I think PW is possible is because the UK government has appointed Musk to consult on EV rollout. If I was Musk I would both suggest and trade the royal appointment with Price William as the best possible way to kick off the deal.
That would be brilliant if it were to happen!

.. however, as far as I am aware, only the Queen, DofE and Prince Charles have the Royal power to issue a Royal Warrant. The supplying company must have 5 yrs of history with the Royals to be eligible for consideration. Very occasionally, a Royal warrant is awarded to a non British company .. so I am hoping that the eco-minded Prince Charles bought a Roadster in 2009, or that there is an ancient act of parliament from 1492 AD that allows one-off rule changes championed by the Queen :smile:

That would be brilliant if it were to happen!

.. however, as far as I am aware, only the Queen, DofE and Prince Charles have the Royal power to issue a Royal Warrant. The supplying company must have 5 yrs of history with the Royals to be eligible for consideration. Very occasionally, a Royal warrant is awarded to a non British company .. so I am hoping that the eco-minded Prince Charles bought a Roadster in 2009, or that there is an ancient act of parliament from 1492 AD that allows one-off rule changes championed by the Queen :smile:

The 5 year thing is true...I was going to also mention that Prince Philip has the option as well, thinking that DofE meant Dept of the Environment. It's been a long week :)

So it could still be PW, but probably not By Appointment. Would be an amazing PR coup though, think of all the photos the S would suddenly start appearing in.

Just curious, are the RHD cars destined to UK also sent over the Atlantic as "spare parts" and then built in Tilburg (like mainland Europe cars), or will these come directly from USA?

If it takes around 4 weeks for the container ship travel, RHD cars for UK should already be on the boat if they would go to UK via Tilburg and still have a chance to arrive in April, I would think..

Anyone know?

Pate

Driving home today, 16.30, with the sun low in the sky, this gleaming white cat was heading towards Bloxham from Adderbury. At first I thought it was a Jag, until it for closer and I realised it hatch a hatch. Once it went past I clocked the rear light clusters and it was a Model S. But I didn't spot the plate on it, it or was stunning, much nicer than the white P85+ that Mark from Tesla was using for test drives earlier in the year.

- - - Updated - - -

Driving home today, 16.30, with the sun low in the sky, this gleaming white cat was heading towards Bloxham from Adderbury. At first I thought it was a Jag, until it for closer and I realised it hatch a hatch. Once it went past I clocked the rear light clusters and it was a Model S. But I didn't spot the plate on it, it or was stunning, much nicer than the white P85+ that Mark from Tesla was using for test drives earlier in the year.

Cat should have been car! Auto correct is a real pain

- - - Updated - - -

Cat should have been car! Auto correct is a real pain

You know the rule, photo or it didn't happen :)

That would explain it! Did look nice in white.

I reckon you should fit a 1080P dash cam in your car ...

Just think about it, we're in the middle of March and that 1st delivery might be any day, and you could have grabbed an amazing photo of Elon driving a RHD Model S through the English countryside on this nice sunny afternoon, possibly showing the car off to the mystery celeb owner of the first UK car ...

Now that would be quite a photo ... !!!

Anyone seeing a VIN pop up in their dashboard?

Over on this thread http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/28242-HK-Deposit-date-confirmation-Sequence-expected-delivery?p=604904&viewfull=1#post604904 Hong Kong signature reservations seem to be getting VINs assigned.

This suggests that Hong Kong sigs are getting built before UK general production (not unreasonable, but I hadn't expected it given the much later release of pricing there). But UK sigs ought to have them by now in that case - anybody here got a sig reservation?