Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Road Trip ABRP or Tesla Nav

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going on first Road Trip and I planned on using the car navigation (of course) and having A better route planner on my phone as a backup .
Question is which do I follow , i preplanned the trip using both and seems like the Tesla trip planner had estimated the trip to be longer than ABRP.

Any hints or suggestions?

Thank you

Reactions: Stuart Watson
I plan all long trips with ABRP since I can set departure time and state of charge. Once in the car, usually just use the car for the navigation. It is better now that we can do multiple waypoints. I have done four, over 4,000 miles road trips.
By preplanning with ABRP, you can plan meal and overnight stops. If you pay for ABRP you can see real time Supercharger status.
Make sure you have the car navigate you to whichever is your next Supercharger stop, so it will preheat the battery.
Most of all---enjoy the journey!!!

The Tesla Navigation system is more optimistic, i.e. how far you can drive between charging stops because it is based on the EPA estimated Wh/mile energy consumption. ABRP can be customized for your preferences including energy consumption, average speed, more or less frequent charging along a route. In the past Tesla's Navigation system would not take into account temperature, weather conditions, wet/dry road conditions or traffic along a trip route. The Tesla Navigation only factored in posted speed limits and elevation changes along the route. Once you start driving the Tesla Energy Screen will accurately display whether you are using more or less energy than predicted. If you are towing a trailer or when driving into strong headwinds the Energy screen consumption graph can show you that you while driving that you are not going to be able to reach the next charging stop or destination. In that case you can adjust your speed early in the trip or deviate from the planned route knowing you will need to stop for an additional charging session.

On a trip with multiple charging stops you may want to start out by entering the first charging stop that ABRP has indicated as the final destination in the Tesla Navigation system instead of the actual final destination. While charging at the first charging location you can enter the next Supercharger as the next destination. The Tesla vehicle will indicate on the screen when you have sufficient charge to reach the next destination so that you can resume your trip as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
<snip>

On a trip with multiple charging stops you may want to start out by entering the first charging stop that ABRP has indicated
as the final destination in the Tesla Navigation system instead of the actual final destination. While charging at the first charging location you can enter the next Supercharger as the next destination. The Tesla vehicle will indicate on the screen when you have sufficient charge to reach the next destination so that you can resume your trip as quickly as possible.
You can send an ABRP route to your car and it will do that. I haven't actually used this for a trip yet so I'm not sure how it works after that.

On a trip with multiple charging stops you may want to start out by entering the first charging stop that ABRP has indicated as the final destination in the Tesla Navigation system instead of the actual final destination. While charging at the first charging location you can enter the next Supercharger as the next destination. The Tesla vehicle will indicate on the screen when you have sufficient charge to reach the next destination so that you can resume your trip as quickly as possible.
Can you explain the reason and advantages of doing this?

It does send the first set. Just tried it. The cars nav goes to the first ABRP charging stop. I haven't tried to use this on a real trip so I'm not sure what happens for day 2. I went over to ABRP but can't find their tutorials/help. That is one criticism I have of ABRP. The documention is the worst. Compounded by a non-intuitive (IMHO) interface.

I plan with ABRP and navigate using the in-car nav with the next supercharger as the destination. That includes leaving when the nav says we will have 15%-20% remaining charge at the destination. ABRP has been better at selecting stops to minimize the total trip time. In-car nav tended to favor fewer but longer stops, which increased the trip time. The car charges faster at lower states of charge, so it is often faster to charge just enough to reach the next supercharger. Monitor the charge remaining at your next destination from the nav. If it drops below 10% then slow down to keep it stable. Just a few MPH will work wonders.

I haven't taken a long trip with the new multiple waypoints or ABRP route download.

You will be fine using just the in-car nav. It does not assume EPA mileage. It takes into account just about everything it can. However, you are in control of your speed, something it can't easily predict.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Can you explain the reason and advantages of doing this?
The Tesla Navigation system may want you to stop and charge at a particular Supercharger location or locations. ABRP may indicate that you should charge sooner or later depending on your ABRP preferences. You may know from experience that amenities close to the Supercharger that the Tesla Navigation System has selected are limited as compared with a different Supercharger that is a little closer or further. Also, when the Tesla Navigation system is navigating a route to a Supercharger the Tesla vehicle will start preconditioning as much as an hour before you arrive at the Supercharger. The Tesla Navigation system is optimized for the fastest Supercharging session not the most efficient use of the battery (preconditioning uses additional power from the battery.)

Reactions: 73Bruin
The Tesla Navigation system may want you to stop and charge at a particular Supercharger location or locations. ABRP may indicate that you should charge sooner or later depending on your ABRP preferences. You may know from experience that amenities close to the Supercharger that the Tesla Navigation System has selected are limited as compared with a different Supercharger that is a little closer or further. Also, when the Tesla Navigation system is navigating a route to a Supercharger the Tesla vehicle will start preconditioning as much as an hour before you arrive at the Supercharger. The Tesla Navigation system is optimized for the fastest Supercharging session not the most efficient use of the battery (preconditioning uses additional power from the battery.)
I understand, but do I need to precondition the battery even though I am driving in hot weather ?
(Fl to S. Carolina)

I understand, but do I need to precondition the battery even though I am driving in hot weather ?
(Fl to S. Carolina)
Tesla will precondition the battery for Supercharging, i.e. warm the battery to ~115F, when navigating to a Supercharger. This is the most efficient temperature for Supercharging. If you don't precondition or don't fully precondition prior to Supercharging the Tesla vehicle will display a notification message (sort of like being scolded by your vehicle.)

Reactions: EdSt