Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Road Trip - Am I Doing It Right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made it to first stop - Brattleboro. Used the Nav like you guys said. Estimated I would have 6% left when I got here. Was very nervous as that’s cutting it very fine - but you said it was accurate so....

F93C39E6-F0BD-48A3-B87B-28361D6E1826.jpeg

Reactions: P85_DA
You're doing it right. Stop at West Lebanon, Magog, and Drumondville. More stops doesn't take longer when they are right on the route like that. Quick charge at each place; charging until you have 10% on arrival is plenty. Magog is right on the road and has a nice little market.

With a 100D You would have charged in Brattleboro and Magog, and saved a little time - and had two slightly longer stops instead of four shorter ones.

That is cutting it close. What did you start your trip with? I always start at 100% and charge more at superchargers than the system says I need just in case something happens that's not planned. Especially in the winter, don't risk getting stuck somewhere and need to charge

Started with 100% charge. Set speed at 70mph. No traffic. 41F temp here. Did 160 miles from 100% down to 6%. Nav says next stop is West Lebanon

Wow 41 is cold. What’s your efficiency so far. If you get nervous stopping down to 65 will help as will following traffic. If you have EAP that’s super easy

While you will save some time at the first supercharger stop if you charge above 90%, it's likely you won't really save that much time.

This is because charging is faster when the battery has a lower charge. So the extra 10% charge you add by going above 90%, will likely save you only a few minutes - probably not enough to have much impact on your trip.

And, when you stop at a supercharger, you'll lose time if you "top off" your battery, by waiting until you have much more charge than you need to get to your destination or next charging stop, because charging slows down considerably above 80%, and increasingly slower above 90%.

We don't trust the onboard navigation app 100%, and will double check them with our own estimates on how much charge we believe we'll need to reach the next destination or how long we should stay at a supercharger.

I always start at 100% too. No reason not to. Seat heaters and lower cabin temperatures help a lot. Also a blanket for your legs works better than a coat. I like to have a 15% buffer over what the Nav indicates—sometimes stuff happens.

Reactions: ToddS
Hi Ek993,

You have probably been there by now, but we found Magog to be a nice stop on our way to Sherbrooke.

Shawn
Yes Magog had a great little market.

Nav was pretty accurate for the most part. Scariest was Brattleboro to West Lebanon. When I left it said I would arrive with 24% charge. There was a LOT of elevation changes on my way through VT and the estimate started dropping rapidly. Ended up getting there with less than 10% in reserve. This is definitely a very different driving prospect to an ICE car where you know you can stop anywhere for a fill up.

Nav said I could get all the way from from Magog to QC but I was nervous by this point so stopped at Drummondville for a 10 minute charge.

EAP was perfect all the way down barring one incident where it made a dangerous mistake.

Ek993,

Looking at your consumption, I am surprised it is not flatter if you are using EAP most of the way. Mine always flatlines when I am on highways using EAP.

As mentioned, there was a lot of elevation changes (enough to make your ears pop) on the journey through VT which caused the extreme peaks and troughs in usage and ate a lot of battery very very rapidly. The rest of the journey was pretty flatlined in terms of power consumption and the Nav estimate was accurate for those parts.

Reactions: ToddS
Thanks for the read. We are doing a multi-leg from Chicago to Houston to Austin to Chicago in early December. Seems fine, the only annoying part is our Houston to Austin as its Onalaska (1.5 hours or so North of Houston to Austin) which doesn't have any SCs between just yet (just planned ones). In a 90D here, so kinda like a 75 it seems. Should rack up about 3000 miles over a couple weeks it seems or so.

Thanks for the read. We are doing a multi-leg from Chicago to Houston to Austin to Chicago in early December. Seems fine, the only annoying part is our Houston to Austin as its Onalaska (1.5 hours or so North of Houston to Austin) which doesn't have any SCs between just yet (just planned ones). In a 90D here, so kinda like a 75 it seems. Should rack up about 3000 miles over a couple weeks it seems or so.
I have made that leg you are concerned about, North Houston to Austin. Specifically, I travelled from Huntsville to Austin. If you top-off at Huntsville supercharger. Then, route through College Station on to Austin. It is 156 miles. You should make it easily on a 90% charge leaving Huntsville. The roads are clear and easy to travel.