TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

First road trip Eugene to Tacoma

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Nbryce, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Nbryce

Nbryce Member

Took our first road trip last week in our MS60. Hit up the Superchargers in Woodburn and Centralia both going to Tacoma and coming back home. Superchargers worked great and was much faster then my wife and I were expecting. One thing that was a little bit of an issue was the .40/minute idle charge always being in the back of my head as we were eating during the Supercharger visits. Since neither station was never busy I am looking forward to Tesla removing that fee at less popular Superchargers.

The autopilot was awesome, I almost felt like a passenger, still paying attention to the road but able to also look around at the surroundings as well. It also worked really well when we hit stop and go traffic at the woodburn exit (took 45 minutes to drive 6 miles) due to the post Christmas shopping traffic. I was able to just sit back and let the car do its thing. I felt more refreshed and less irritated at the end of the trip then I ever have.

Just wanted to share my experience. Looking forward to the next trip.

• Like x 6
  2. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

With your 60 did you need to charge at your destination in Tacoma? Did you drive much in Tacoma? I'll be doing the PDX-Seattle run and trying to figure out if I need destination charging.

Thanks

3. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Member

Just depends what type of Tesla you have and how much you will be driving while in Seattle. Centralia to Seattle and back is about 170 real miles which is at least 200 rated miles in the winter so I think it wouldn't be advisable in a 60 and could be tight in a higher model if you do much driving while in Seattle.

• Like x 1
  4. pdxrajiv

pdxrajiv Member

In a pinch, you can use Level 2/3 chargers at Tahoma Market in Fife.

• Like x 1
  5. Nbryce

Nbryce Member

I was staying with in laws and did a decent amount of driving while there. There was a free charger in a library parking garage I used a couple times while I was there. I got about 18 mph while charging there. While parked at the in laws I kept plugged into their standard outlet. Just use Plug Share to find a place you can charge up while you are in town and you should be fine.

6. N8DGR8

N8DGR8 Member

We have a 60, yes you will need destination charging on the PDX-SEA run. Wind and cold weather, would make a Centralia / Seattle roundtrip in a 60 very tight if not impossible.

Destination charging is much nicer than sitting at the super charging waiting to top off the car.

7. N8DGR8

N8DGR8 Member

Forgot to mention I have a log of my road trips at the bottom of the page here: Tessa the Tesla
    Should give you an idea of how much actual energy it takes to make trips based out of Seattle.

8. josher32

josher32 Member

I believe Elon did say no idle fees if less than half the SC stalls are in use. I think this makes sense.