Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road trip in your MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The game plan is to drive from Boston to Montreal for the Jazz festival at the end of June. We are definitely going to the festival andd are hoping to have the X to drive us there. Otherwise it's old school in the Subaru. I am optimistic but think it will be tight as I ordered a 90D on 1/4. Original reservation number was 12xxx. Fingers crossed.

Now that we have our X, we're going to sort out any remaining issues, wait for the due bill items to be resolved, and hit the road. I'm hoping for a medium-range trip in May, perhaps to Kings Canyon NP. Sometime this summer we'll do a bit further - Grand Canyon to Zion to Canyonlands to Grand Teton and Yellowstone. Maybe. Hopefully.

We are starting to think that the Model X coupled with a tent and staying at nicer RV parks where we can get a place for our tent away from the generators and plug in on a 15/50 at night, might be the way to go. Maybe a hotel periodically just to return to normalcy from the tent, but with showers at RV parks along with the power for charging, what more could you ask for? :)

Reactions: MrBoylan
Now that we have our X, we're going to sort out any remaining issues, wait for the due bill items to be resolved, and hit the road. I'm hoping for a medium-range trip in May, perhaps to Kings Canyon NP. Sometime this summer we'll do a bit further - Grand Canyon to Zion to Canyonlands to Grand Teton and Yellowstone. Maybe. Hopefully.

No Yosemite? We are toying with the idea of picking up our Model X this summer out West and doing a tour of the parks before driving straight back east. I look forward to pics of the Model X in national parks. The experience of just driving around them with the panoramic windshield has to be great alone.

Heading back to Seattle from Fremont today. Last week we drove down Hwy 101 from WA to CA. Due lack of superchargers on the road we had to decide whether to zig zag back and forth or use DC chargers. In the end we did the zig zag method for most of the trip. Loads of fun. Highly recommended. However I really hope that Tesla will add SCs along the 101 in WA and OR.

Reactions: goneskiian
Assuming our Sig X is here by then, probably our first large trip will be the Custer, SD Tesla Rally, on May 20-22, 2016. Last year, there were, what, 36 Teslas there, and this year maybe 100!! What Tesla fun! Mac
Pick up my new X in NorCal on April 25, and plan on driving to Custer for the Rally. So we now know there will be at least 2 X's!

No Yosemite? We are toying with the idea of picking up our Model X this summer out West and doing a tour of the parks before driving straight back east. I look forward to pics of the Model X in national parks. The experience of just driving around them with the panoramic windshield has to be great alone.
We just visited Yosemite a couple of months ago. Since we're (relatively) close to that park, I prefer to avoid it in the more congested summer period. Not that Zion or Grand Teton will be much better - they just require more time to visit, and we have that time in the summer.

We picked up our X at the factory and drove straight to Palm Springs. The trip was planned with a rental Suv, much before the X came. Cancelled the rental just as soon as we started driving. What a wonderful ride!

Planning a trip to Canadian Rockies in the summer.

Reactions: ModelX
We are planning a 10-day trip from NorCal to Victoria BC, Vancouver, Seattle and the Washington National Forest in July with our Model X.

I have seen a few threads from members who made their first trips already. Would like to hear more about the trips every one is planning or have taken with the Model X.

I am not familiar with the Washington National Forest or are you just referring in general to all of the national forests in the Washington/Seattle area, which there are many.

Note if you get much off of I5 you will have to use destination chargers (maybe HPWC at 50 amps or perhaps 80 if you are lucky) or RV parks to use your UMC adapter at 50 amps.

I find it odd that Tesla does not provide supercharging at major cities, at least in the North West. They could restrict it to non locals.

It kind of reminds me of the fact that there is no rest stop on I5 just North of Sacramento. You see all of these trucks parked on the side of the road at the 99 underpass who have made a pseudo rest stop.

I am not familiar with the Washington National Forest or are you just referring in general to all of the national forests in the Washington/Seattle area, which there are many.

Note if you get much off of I5 you will have to use destination chargers (maybe HPWC at 50 amps or perhaps 80 if you are lucky) or RV parks to use your UMC adapter at 50 amps.

I find it odd that Tesla does not provide supercharging at major cities, at least in the North West. They could restrict it to non locals.

It kind of reminds me of the fact that there is no rest stop on I5 just North of Sacramento. You see all of these trucks parked on the side of the road at the 99 underpass who have made a pseudo rest stop.
Our plan is to go to Multnomah Falls from Seattle. EVTripplanner estimated 3hrs of drive with about 0.5hr supercharging. Then we spend couple of nights at the Skamania Lodge which has a destination charger.

And I agree with you. I also don't understand why there are no superchargers in SF or Seattle downtown. They can limit the use to 45min per vehicle. But yeah I agree, lack of superchargers in major downtown areas is a bummer.

Two major road trips are planned. One through OKC to PA. Another to WA and ID through Park City.

I've enjoyed the ID and OKC trips with Model S when the CHAdeMO adapter was needed. Met some of the great people on this forum. Hope to see some of you as well. Drive safely and enjoy the ride.
I have seen other posts too that mention using CHAdeMO adapter. So far other than destination and superchargers, I've only used Chargepoint with the supplied J1772 adapter. Since it seems we are more on the road after becoming a Tesla family, I'm wondering if I should invest in a CHAdeMO adapter. Where would these come useful while traveling?