Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road trip in your MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are all sorts of really great falls in the park. A few need a bit of hiking. There is two upper and one lower Multnomah Falls and be sure to get a picture of the Tesla at Vista Point. The building is cool and the view up river is to die for.
There is also a great piece of road about 45 minutes or so to the East. Get off of 84 at exit 69 in Mosier and drive the Historic Columbia River Hwy to Rowena Crest and then on to The Dalles for a Supercharge. Gorgeous views (no pun intended)!

Cheers!

• Informative
Reactions: xkwizit
That's so stupid to have that site with ALL of that data and not be able to filter it. I has a sadz

Actually, you can filter by plug type.

upload_2016-4-25_2-4-36.png

View attachment 173858 Just completed a 3,00+ mile trip from Central PA to Key West and return. We used nothing but superchargers

View attachment 173859
and destination charging. The valets here at Charleston Place presented us with a fully charged car each morning.
FarmerDave: That was quite a long trip you did. And it's a beautiful car. Would you mind sharing tips on managing the Wh/Mile and avoiding range anxiety. Also, any tips on breaks at the SCs you used.

W're planning to do a major trip in August, and it will be our first in a Tesla. Can't wait for the adventure to begin:

Our current route will be able to use almost all Superchargers except for a few spots.

Here's where we plan to stop for 1+ nights:
Portland, OR
Boise, ID
Moab, UT
Boulder, CO
Kansas City, MO
Indianapolis, IN
Berlin Center, OH
Washington, DC
Boston, MA
Montreal, QC
Toronto, ON
Ann Arbor, MI
Onalaska, WI
Keystone, SD
Bozeman, MT
Whitefish, MT
Canmore, AB
Hope, BC
Portland, OR

We expect to take about 4 weeks!

I typically do the O.C to SF road trip? Where do you typically stop? I plan on just doing Buttonwillow and Harris Ranch
If you can travel from Harris Ranch to your destination and charge, great.

For those who want power to enjoy driving around the SF area, then enjoy powering up at a Supercharger closer to your destination:

Gilroy - In-N-Out, Denny's or the Outlet Stores
Fremont - Tesla merchandise at the factory (try to schedule a tour)
Mountain View - Starbucks and Computer History Museum, a great place to visit
San Mateo - Chipotle, Habit Burger, Starbucks or Whole Foods

If you can travel from Harris Ranch to your destination and charge, great.

For those who want power to enjoy driving around the SF area, then enjoy powering up at a Supercharger closer to your destination:

Gilroy - In-N-Out, Denny's or the Outlet Stores
Fremont - Tesla merchandise at the factory (try to schedule a tour)
Mountain View - Starbucks and Computer History Museum, a great place to visit
San Mateo - Chipotle, Habit Burger, Starbucks or Whole Foods
Visiting SF from Sacramento, I usually charge up at Vacaville but after a whole day of driving around in SF, I have to watch the charge and make sure I will have enough to reach Vacaville again otherwise I have to go around to San Mateo before making the trip home. Having a SC in downtown SF or near Embarcadero/CalTrain station area would be so awesome.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark Z
Thank you Dalia. I read the entire thread on Knoxville charger and I am getting more firm in my mind about getting the CHAdeMO adapter.

Also, from the trips in our MS thus far, I have learnt that speed, temperature and headwinds make a huge difference to the Wh/mile. Did you use the trip planner on the MX? I find it to be pretty useful in knowing how good/bad I am doing.

I think in couple of threads I have read thus far, the recommended method is to charge about 20% more than what the car tells you is needed to reach the next SC or destination and not wait for the slow drip to charge up to 100%. The SCs definitely start slowing down when the charge is about 50%.

Yes we used the navigation. Yeah it's good to charge more than what they recommend. It would have been a fine trip, but just that issue in Knoxville put a huge damper on the trip. I think if you follow the navigation and stop at the stations, it's fine. There's an app called Teslarati. You can check in to the different SCs and get tips from users. That was fun because we were one of the first users :) have fun and let us know how it goes!

W're planning to do a major trip in August, and it will be our first in a Tesla. Can't wait for the adventure to begin:

Our current route will be able to use almost all Superchargers except for a few spots.

Here's where we plan to stop for 1+ nights:
Portland, OR
Boise, ID
Moab, UT
Boulder, CO
Kansas City, MO
Indianapolis, IN
Berlin Center, OH
Washington, DC
Boston, MA
Montreal, QC
Toronto, ON
Ann Arbor, MI
Onalaska, WI
Keystone, SD
Bozeman, MT
Whitefish, MT
Canmore, AB
Hope, BC
Portland, OR

We expect to take about 4 weeks!
That's a gigantic trip. Would love to hear how you have planned it out..SCs, destination chargers etc.

Visiting SF from Sacramento, I usually charge up at Vacaville but after a whole day of driving around in SF, I have to watch the charge and make sure I will have enough to reach Vacaville again otherwise I have to go around to San Mateo before making the trip home. Having a SC in downtown SF or near Embarcadero/CalTrain station area would be so awesome.
Once the Napa Supercharger is online (May/June at this point), you can always come 101 to 37 through Napa and then head over to 80 that way.

Once the Napa Supercharger is online (May/June at this point), you can always come 101 to 37 through Napa and then head over to 80 that way.
Oh I wasn't aware that a SC is coming up in Napa. That will make wine country trips so much more convenient.

Not sure though if it will be helpful for SF trips as Vacaville SC is right off 80 on my route. And the problem I face is that after a day driving around in SF, sometimes I have to cut short as I won't have enough juice left to reach Vacaville. I hate re-routing through San Mateo just to charge up.

That's a gigantic trip. Would love to hear how you have planned it out..SCs, destination chargers etc.
Yeah, it's definitely going to be a helluva way to break in the Model X (praying it doesn't get delayed!). I have not completed planning yet, however I have been using a combination of Google Maps, Plugshare, and Tesla's supercharger/destination charger map page.

We've selected a route that is primarily supported by Superchargers the whole way. I'd rather not get stuck charging for 3 days at some farmer house! Tesla's site shows new superchargers connecting Montana to Calgary this year, we'll see if they're up and running before August or not. If not, that will probably be the most "off grid" section. We plan to stay the night in Bozeman, MT where there's good charging options, we will not be taking the shortest route to Whitefish, but not too bad, so we can charge at the Missoula SC. Then there's a couple options in Whitefish with destination chargers so we can leave there full.

From there, we will be going to Canmore, AB, and we haven't decided whether to go via the East or West, both will require a stop at non-Tesla chargers, possibly for a couple hours or more. Plugshare shows options in Cranbrook and Invermere (If we get some foldable Oruk Kayaks for the trip we can walk down to the lake from the charger and paddle around while the car charges) on the Western route. On the Eastern Route, I think we would go up to Fernie, BC, then Calgary, then Canmore.

I wonder how they are going to support superchargers? Probably only inside for their own purposes.

Generally speaking, Tesla does not put Superchargers at Gallery or Showroom stores. Those usually have HPWC.

There are some service centers with Superchargers.

I did notice from the picture in that article (LINK) there does seem to be parking on the roof. Is that a public lot? Hard to tell what the 2nd floor is from that picture. Could Tesla use that space and make it a service center also, like the Brooklyn NY new store/service center.