Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road trip in your MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With energy stats....btw: getting 300kWh local driving which seems to yield 460 miles at 80 degree temps.

Also, selected EvPlanner's P 85D 21” tires to estimate trip.....and FWIW....when new, averaged 384 wh//Mi on a 116 mile highway trip from Dania Beach to Naples, FL. Vehicle now settling in with tires breaking in.

Knock on wood.....no issues with front doors, falcons, etc. on trip.....perfectly running X!

updated stats.jpg

I've been managing websites since 1995, but for the life of me I can't figure out social media including Facebook, Twitter or Forums. Where the heck to you post Tesla Road Trips on Tesla Motors Club Forums? For all the searches I have done I can't find a related forum but I do know that many people have posted their road trips here.

Anyway, I have just completed the 2nd day of my long 3600 mile road trip round trip from Southern California to St. Louis, Missouri. Today I traveled from St. George, Utah, to Glenwood Springs, Utah. If you want to see my report and photos, you can find them posted at St.George,UT to Glenwood Springs,CO by Tesla Model X P90DL . And, if you know where one is supposed to post general Tesla Road Trips and not necessarily one's first road trip in a Model X, please let me know! Thanks!
Transformed_2016-05-29%2015.19.37.jpg

I've been managing websites since 1995, but for the life of me I can't figure out social media including Facebook, Twitter or Forums. Where the heck to you post Tesla Road Trips on Tesla Motors Club Forums? For all the searches I have done I can't find a related forum but I do know that many people have posted their road trips here.

Anyway, I have just completed the 2nd day of my long 3600 mile road trip round trip from Southern California to St. Louis, Missouri. Today I traveled from St. George, Utah, to Glenwood Springs, Utah. If you want to see my report and photos, you can find them posted at St.George,UT to Glenwood Springs,CO by Tesla Model X P90DL . And, if you know where one is supposed to post general Tesla Road Trips and not necessarily one's first road trip in a Model X, please let me know! Thanks!
Transformed_2016-05-29%2015.19.37.jpg
@steve56 - I wish there was a more higher level road trip thread but I was told getting one created is going to be just one more of the thousand things on on the mods priority list. So for now, post your trip here. We would love to hear.

Based on EVTrip Planner, attached is our plan for our upcoming road trip in Model X from NorCal to Victoria BC. I used the settings for MS 90D 21" 1.2 speed multiplier, 72F in/out temp and payload 400lbs

I think there is mainly one segment that is a bit dodgy..Corning SpC to Ashland which I highlighted in pink in the attached file. It seems to be consuming way more energy than the actual miles and I am not sure if we will reach the hotel or have to use some other charger en route.
Looking forward to comments and suggestions from our experienced Tesla owners.

Attachments

• Summer2016RoadTripPlan.pdf
    47.9 KB · Views: 91
Based on EVTrip Planner, attached is our plan for our upcoming road trip in Model X from NorCal to Victoria BC. I used the settings for MS 90D 21" 1.2 speed multiplier, 72F in/out temp and payload 400lbs

I think there is mainly one segment that is a bit dodgy..Corning SpC to Ashland which I highlighted in pink in the attached file. It seems to be consuming way more energy than the actual miles and I am not sure if we will reach the hotel or have to use some other charger en route.
Looking forward to comments and suggestions from our experienced Tesla owners.
Stop for a quick sip at Shasta. Right off the freeway.

Stop for a quick sip at Shasta. Right off the freeway.
This. You'll need to stop at Shasta, to avoid some anxiety at a minimum. If they're open, and if you like Indian food, I can recommend Maruti as a surprisingly good Indian restaurant in Shasta. Sadly, it's not easy walking distance from the charger, though they will make take-out for you. Call ahead and it'll be ready to pick up prior to charging.

Reactions: vrykolas
This. You'll need to stop at Shasta, to avoid some anxiety at a minimum. If they're open, and if you like Indian food, I can recommend Maruti as a surprisingly good Indian restaurant in Shasta. Sadly, it's not easy walking distance from the charger, though they will make take-out for you. Call ahead and it'll be ready to pick up prior to charging.
@ohmman and @napabill - thanks for the tips. We are planning an overnight at the Best Western at Mt Shasta. So pretty sure we will use your tips. And we live Indian food anyways or will be craving for it after being on the road this long.

Summer is here..and I am pretty sure lots of Model X owners must be planning trips long and short. Let's share the details here..plans as well as how it went and pictures.
I am hopeful one day @doug will let me create a road trip subcategory. I know he has his hands full right now with TMC Connect etc. But till then let's use this thread as our place to share our plans and stories.

...When comparing the length of time it takes to charge the Model S and the Model X, the extra time and stops required with Model X is another reason to leave it at home for this coast to coast trip...
Glad to be back home to enjoy the Model S and X for local drives. The 2009 Escalade was driven 5854 miles roundtrip between CA and PA for two weeks. Performance was perfect with the new Michelin Defender LTX tires. Some parts of the I-40 were extremely broken up and I was pleased to not stress the Model X with a horribly maintained part arriving in Arkansas heading west. Superchargers I saw on occasion were vacant, so don't worry about overcrowding. I will weigh options to consider the X on the next LA to OKC trip, my Sooner friends want to experience Ludicrous Mode!

I will try a rough freeway local road test soon to determine if I should consider moving the 19" wheels from the S to the X for long travels. The S could get it's 21" wheels back and be original again! The original 22" X wheels and Pirelli tires could be stored for a future buyer.

I will try a rough freeway local road test soon to determine if I should consider moving the 19" wheels from the S to the X for long travels. The S could get it's 21" wheels back and be original again! The original 22" X wheels and Pirelli tires could be stored for a future buyer.
Will the X be able to figure out how to recalibrate the speed etc base on the new tire circumference of the 19's?

Will the X be able to figure out how to recalibrate the speed etc base on the new tire circumference of the 19's?
Tesla offers the 19" wheels as a winter option for Model X. However, the tire sizes are different when visiting the Tesla tire page for both Model S and X. The wheel is 8.0 wide for S and 8.5 wide for X. Looks like my idea of using the Model S 19" wheel on the X wouldn't be acceptable.

More research will be needed. The goal is to have the quietest and most comfortable ride with maximum range if Model X is driven long distances.

Last edited:
Better to drive down to 5% than to charge over 80%, you’ll spend less time supercharging.
Assign charging time double duty with eating or sleeping, you will likely charge for more than you need to.
Use destination charging and thank/tip the owners.
I like EVTO app for laying out long trips but use in car energy prediction while on the road.