Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road trip in your MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
Has anyone else considered what might be the first serious road trip they'll take in their MX (assuming that's something that's interesting to you)? For some reason, the longer the X takes to reach me, the longer my trip seems to stretch. It'll be work convincing the family of this duration, but here's a loose itinerary of an "ideal" trip for me. Some of this takes advantage of a supercharger infrastructure that doesn't yet exist, so obviously it's just a thought.

Drive 1: NorCal to Las Vegas (not a huge Vegas person but it's a good stretch and location).
Some time in Vegas
Drive 2: Vegas to Flagstaff SCharger to Grand Canyon to Phoenix.
Some time in Phoenix, visit friends and family
Drive 3-6: Phoenix to various stops throughout Texas
Visit more friends and family over multiple days
Drive 7: Texas to New Orleans
Big Easy time
Drive 8: New Orleans to Cape Canaveral, FL
Planned perfectly for the test launch of Falcon Heavy. That's right.
Then Disneyworld and Orlando theme parkishness
Drive 9-?: Up the East Coast and multiple stops for friends and family.

At this point, my family will fly home, surely, and I'll be left to make the trip back across the country on the northern route alone. I'm fortunate to have a good number of friends and family scattered along that route as well, so for me it sounds plenty entertaining.

Anyone else?

Has anyone else considered what might be the first serious road trip they'll take in their MX (assuming that's something that's interesting to you)? For some reason, the longer the X takes to reach me, the longer my trip seems to stretch. It'll be work convincing the family of this duration, but here's a loose itinerary of an "ideal" trip for me. Some of this takes advantage of a supercharger infrastructure that doesn't yet exist, so obviously it's just a thought.

Drive 1: NorCal to Las Vegas (not a huge Vegas person but it's a good stretch and location).
Some time in Vegas
Drive 2: Vegas to Flagstaff SCharger to Grand Canyon to Phoenix.
Some time in Phoenix, visit friends and family
Drive 3-6: Phoenix to various stops throughout Texas
Visit more friends and family over multiple days
Drive 7: Texas to New Orleans
Big Easy time
Drive 8: New Orleans to Cape Canaveral, FL
Planned perfectly for the test launch of Falcon Heavy. That's right.
Then Disneyworld and Orlando theme parkishness
Drive 9-?: Up the East Coast and multiple stops for friends and family.

At this point, my family will fly home, surely, and I'll be left to make the trip back across the country on the northern route alone. I'm fortunate to have a good number of friends and family scattered along that route as well, so for me it sounds plenty entertaining.

Anyone else?

Let me know if you need a charge in Phoenix in case you family/friends don't have a suitable outlet.

Hope to take the family from Toronto to Quebec City (actually Mont Ste Anne) and back for March break 2016. I might just get it in time. The Chateau Mont Ste Anne has 2 Tesla HPWC installed about a year ago!

Been talking ad nauseum about this mystery BEV SUV I'll be getting. I don't think they really believe me that it exists (or soon to exist). Everyone just smiles and nods their heads for the past 3 years whenever I talk about it. It better come soon because I just noticed the mental hospital phone number on speed dial.

Last edited: