Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road trip - notes and a couple quirks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doanster1

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
First road trip this weekend (~200mi one way) and was pleased overall. Used the sole Super Charger along the way and was amazed at the shear speed.

Public charging throughout the trip worked fine, but def took much planning and more walking than usual. Used EVgo, ChargePoint, and Blink. All worked fine with the J1772 adapter. A couple times I did wish I had the Chademo adapter, which would’ve saved a lot of time, but not sure if the ROI is there for $400 (or whatever they cost now).

Experienced two quirks. First one was when charging in a parking garage, I was next to a very big air handler/fan that was going full bore. The key fob acted like it was out of battery. Couldn’t unlock doors or open the trunk, etc. When I got it to open finally, the car wouldn’t start, giving me the “Key is not present” msg. I remember a post about putting the fob next to the USB and 12V outlets and sure enough, the car started. Fob and car acted 100% normally when I arrived at the hotel parking structure. I can only conjecture that the the air handler caused interference?
Second - on the trip home, the screen went black/rebooted itself four times within a span of 30 miles. Wasn’t doing anything specific or out of the ordinary. No further reboots after the fourth time. Just took delivery of the car last week so I’m on the latest F/W version.
All-in-all, loving the car and my decision to go Zero Em vs getting the M3 (Bimmer! :)).

The fan motor could have definitely been putting out a large EMF field that caused interference. Good for you remembering the failsafe spot for starting. There’s one for unlocking the car, also, that’s good to know (I believe windshield for S, below driver’s B pillar for X, check manual!).

What software are you running? 2018.6.1 is known for the MCU reboots, and 10.4 should help with that. Note you said new last week, so prob 6.1: tap on the T on the MCU to check (or the app at the bottom).

Congrats on the road trip! Did our first to a SuC today and it was astonishing to watch the power/speed of the charging!

Reactions: Doanster1
The fan motor could have definitely been putting out a large EMF field that caused interference. Good for you remembering the failsafe spot for starting. There’s one for unlocking the car, also, that’s good to know (I believe windshield for S, below driver’s B pillar for X, check manual!).

What software are you running? 2018.6.1 is known for the MCU reboots, and 10.4 should help with that. Note you said new last week, so prob 6.1: tap on the T on the MCU to check (or the app at the bottom).

Congrats on the road trip! Did our first to a SuC today and it was astonishing to watch the power/speed of the charging!
Yep, 6.1 641efac. Was just strange that nothing the entire trip then four reboots within a short span.
Also experienced more 3G lag/reloads than normal. Perhaps time to upgrade to LTE (if my local SC has the lower price of $343 that a recent post mentioned).

ps passed a transport filled with MSes on the way up to Seattle and another on the way back, so you peeps in Olympia/Tacoma/Bellevue/Seattle waiting for your new cars should be quite happy the next couple days

Last edited:
CPO P85D+ (heh heh)
Lol... oops; no 10.4 for you! :D

Yeah, hopefully a new real general release coming for other issues! You might try turning the car off and on from the menu (wait five minutes in between). If there’s any issues starting it up, try from the app. I’ve had that work when it wouldn’t start from the menu/brake pedal.

A complete shutdown (as much as we can do) may help. Four reboots are definitely weird. Might want to call Tesla Support at a quiet time (Saturday AM before west coast Tesla owner wake up?) and have them access the car and check things out?