Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Road Trip - SF Bay Area <-> LA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my car this past Friday. I was originally going to fly to LA from San Jose but decided that it would be a fun opportunity to get familiarized with the car so I drove instead!

It was a lot of fun. I left at 4pm and so there was a lot of traffic. I think it took me around 3 hours to go 40 miles. Since it was my first time driving, I made a few more supercharger stop than necessary.

I stopped at Gilroy, Harris Ranch, and Tejon Ranch. When I got to LA I had to pick up a friend at the airport so I went to Culver City and supercharged there for a short time while waiting for him.

The experience was awesome! I will admit that I was a little skeptical thinking that stopping every 2-3 hours or so to charge seems like a drag but it was nice getting out to stretch my legs and take a break.

I also played around with autopilot. Like most folks, I was really nervous at first and really untrusting and I'm still not comfortable with it but I thought it was great to play around with it. I mostly turned it on in 2 situations - when it was bumper to bumper stop and go traffic (this is usually when I get really drowsy so AP helped energize me) and when I was on the freeway but not driving too fast (around 70 mph) and there were clear road lines but few cars.

I had a few times when the car didn't really stay in the middle and veered a bit too much for my comfort so I overrode it. I ran some tests on a windy road with no cars and it veered over past the edge a few times as well.

My next road trip is to drive the car home so I'll be driving from the bay area up to Seattle!

...a bit too much for my comfort so I overrode it...

My practice is to manually brake if the Autopilot doesn't do so at my normal safe distance and I would manually steer if the Autopilot doesn't steer as I would.

By doing so, the system would be disengaged each time.

And if the system is AI--Artificial Intelligence, it will learn from those disengagements and will do a better job at braking and steering at subsequent firmware updates.

If it's not AI, engineers could still review those disengagements and adjust Autopilot performance as needed.

AP in traffic is a thing of beauty. AP at freeway speeds on the 5 makes me super drowsy. The supercharger stops are nice, but I wish they didn't change the YogurtLand to a sandwich place at Tejon Ranch. Can't wait for the supercharger to open at Kettleman City so I can have In N Out on the way down.

...YogurtLand...

As a consolation prize, there's a Baskin Robins ice cream across the street from Tesla Supercharger--Tejon in the Petro Stopping Center building.

There are only 2 yogurt flavors though:

Fat-Free Vanilla Frozen Yogurt:
Flavor_WhiteBG_vanillafroyo.jpg

and

Maui Brownie Madness® Frozen Yogurt:

flavors-mauibrowniemadness-whiteBG-w111.jpg

My practice is to manually brake if the Autopilot doesn't do so at my normal safe distance and I would manually steer if the Autopilot doesn't steer as I would.

By doing so, the system would be disengaged each time.

And if the system is AI--Artificial Intelligence, it will learn from those disengagements and will do a better job at braking and steering at subsequent firmware updates.

If it's not AI, engineers could still review those disengagements and adjust Autopilot performance as needed.

Interesting. I usually don't use the brakes that much (especially at highway speeds) so I just use the stalk to decrease speed if I see a slowdown coming up although I would use the brake if it was more sudden.

I use the steering wheel override if it veers too much (since i have my hands at the wheel anyway).

I think one time I was in AP, used the turn signal to automatically turn, and then halfway into the lane I turned off the turn signal and the car went crazy and abruptly moved back to my original lane. I guess I wasn't thinking...sometimes when I drive normally I use the turn signal to change lane but turn it off when I'm halfway into the new lane.