Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road trip tomorrow! Family is excited to be using the 3, not the ICE van

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a close call though, so much stuff to pack but using the frunk and all the pockets in the trunk to max it out. I really didn't want to use the Sienna now that I have the car. The kids are totally on my side too with being able to pick songs they like, the great air in the back and view!

Charging to 90% tonight, 100% in the morning once I know when we're leaving. Looking forward to autopilot helping with all the highway driving.

It's just 3 days camping but the numbers look like we won't even have to charge on the way but I might just to try out a supercharger, loving the range for the peace of mind.

Only concern is the 2 times now we've started the car and 4 errors show up. It's driveable but sucks without regenerative breaking!

Happy Canada Day long weekend.

It's okay to charge the car to 100%, even if you don't go camping. You just don't want to do it every day.
When doing a range charge (i.e. at or near 100%) you need to remember the regenerative braking will not work. It also sometimes will not work immediately if the car is started from a very cold temperature. With range charge regenerative braking returns after you've used 2-3% or the capacity. With very cold startup regenerative braking appears once teh battery ahs warmed up. The latter case can be eliminated by preheating the cabin or charging a bit prior to driving.

The first time either of these happens it is very disconcerting. Frankly, after >60,000 km of Tesla driving I still forget about that, especially the 100% because i so rarely do a range charge. The temperature side is easier to remember because , for me, nothing works very well when it's that cold unless I am preparing to ski.:cool:

So we made it back, very hot the whole time but we made the most of it. The car was great other than one time my wife got in and was just going to go drive when it said could not charge and then the whole car wasn't working right, she couldn't even get out of the car! I had to remind her about the manual way to open the door. Scroll wheel reboot didn't work and powering off the car didn't seem to either until it just did after trying a few more times. Called Tesla and while on the phone the car recovered again showing no issue.

They were supposed to push the latest update to help fix some of these false errors today but nothing yet.

Another more physical problem is that after using the manual release and trying not to let all the mosquitos into the car, the window banged into the chrome and now it's scratched! Wasn't happy about that...I was told to take a picture and I'll get an email from service to see what can be done, no email of course either yet. Has anyone tried the release? What happens with the window when it works? I need to test it myself but assumed it would stay lowered and only raise once the door closed but in my case, it went up right away and would never be able to close, only finding out the hard way.

I'll end on a good note, went to the supercharger for the first time, just 10 mins to see how it would go. I'm happy, I didn't catch it but I saw 118 kW and around 800 km/h!

Edit: I forgot to say in 10 mins I added 22% back in range! The family is totally ready for the next car trip :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180702_140827.jpg
    IMG_20180702_140827.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20180702_163905.jpg
    IMG_20180702_163905.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 110
It was a close call though, so much stuff to pack but using the frunk and all the pockets in the trunk to max it out. I really didn't want to use the Sienna now that I have the car. The kids are totally on my side too with being able to pick songs they like, the great air in the back and view!

Charging to 90% tonight, 100% in the morning once I know when we're leaving. Looking forward to autopilot helping with all the highway driving.

It's just 3 days camping but the numbers look like we won't even have to charge on the way but I might just to try out a supercharger, loving the range for the peace of mind.

Only concern is the 2 times now we've started the car and 4 errors show up. It's driveable but sucks without regenerative breaking!

Happy Canada Day long weekend.
Family of 4?

So we made it back, very hot the whole time but we made the most of it. The car was great other than one time my wife got in and was just going to go drive when it said could not charge and then the whole car wasn't working right, she couldn't even get out of the car! I had to remind her about the manual way to open the door. Scroll wheel reboot didn't work and powering off the car didn't seem to either until it just did after trying a few more times. Called Tesla and while on the phone the car recovered again showing no issue.

They were supposed to push the latest update to help fix some of these false errors today but nothing yet.

Another more physical problem is that after using the manual release and trying not to let all the mosquitos into the car, the window banged into the chrome and now it's scratched! Wasn't happy about that...I was told to take a picture and I'll get an email from service to see what can be done, no email of course either yet. Has anyone tried the release? What happens with the window when it works? I need to test it myself but assumed it would stay lowered and only raise once the door closed but in my case, it went up right away and would never be able to close, only finding out the hard way.

I'll end on a good note, went to the supercharger for the first time, just 10 mins to see how it would go. I'm happy, I didn't catch it but I saw 118 kW and around 800 km/h!

Edit: I forgot to say in 10 mins I added 22% back in range! The family is totally ready for the next car trip :)
I'm doing my first road trip from SF to LA tomorrow. Going to check out the supercharger in Kettleman City.

Canada wasn't a sovereign nation until 1982? Interesting.

I'm not sure I see the scratch on the chrome or just some reflection...

What type of error messages are you getting when your car acts up? And when did you receive your car (if that even makes a difference with these software issues)?

Aside: It also became a sovereign nation in 1867, 1931, and 1947. Plus WWII is widely seen as a de facto defining point, as Canada really entered it on it's own accord as opposed to the officially separate but obvious mimicry declaration of war for WW I. It's a long and winding story.

Aside: It also became a sovereign nation in 1867, 1931, and 1947. Plus WWII is widely seen as a de facto defining point, as Canada really entered it on it's own accord as opposed to the officially separate but obvious mimicry declaration of war for WW I. It's a long and winding story.

From what I read, Canada didn't have complete control over its own Constitution until 1982. Hence my sovereign remark. I understand it may have been mostly autonomous prior to then.

Aside from those issues, how was the trip? Autopilot impressions?
How is the Supercharger coverage in Ontario? We’re you going north to cottage country?

The trip was great so hot though! Autopilot worked as expected, I'm getting used to it and it was on for 99% of the highway driving. Only times I needed to cancel it were when doing lane changes in busier traffic, it just won't engage with too much going on. It was awesome in the stop and go traffic on the 401 eastbound going to the Peterborough area but worked on all conditions of roads as well. The only funny thing now is I hate it if there's no car in front of me at a light or stop sign, I actually need to take over again! ha

We're well covered for superchargers in southern Ontario along the 401 but could expand north from there, of course, would be welcomed.

Reactions: Arpe and e-FTW
Family of 4?

Yes with 2 under 10-year-old kids. I don't know if it's the Tesla or not but my daughter isn't great in the car usually and takes a Gravol to help but this time we didn't and after almost 3 hours she realized she didn't and felt fine, basically she just yelled out "Hey I didn't throw up yet!" haha We're all happy for that I'll tell you.

I'm not sure I see the scratch on the chrome or just some reflection...

What type of error messages are you getting when your car acts up? And when did you receive your car (if that even makes a difference with these software issues)?

The chrome is physically damaged now, it's been scraped by the window and I have worked out an appointment with the service centre on Friday. They already said will replace it if needed. The errors are also a concern usually, they come in batches like no ABS, emergency braking disabled, no regenerative braking. I've also seen no the airbags error and unable to charge.

The interesting thing was my car got delayed one week to early June because of a software issue, I'm wondering if these errors have been showing up since then.

From what I read, Canada didn't have complete control over its own Constitution until 1982. Hence my sovereign remark. I understand it may have been mostly autonomous prior to then.
But then there's still the matter of the Governor General, an appointment by the Queen that can screw with the government (role required for setting up and dissolving Parliament/governments. Except that, same as long, long before 1982, if the Monarchy (via the Governor General, or even in selection of who the GG is) ever said 'no' to something it'd be a short, quick "buh-bye" and that'd be that.

Sovereignty in practice is where's it at or Canada still isn't if you want to get into details.

But then there's still the matter of the Governor General, an appointment by the Queen that can screw with the government (role required for setting up and dissolving Parliament/governments. Except that, same as long, long before 1982, if the Monarchy (via the Governor General, or even in selection of who the GG is) ever said 'no' to something it'd be a short, quick "buh-bye" and that'd be that.

Sovereignty in practice is where's it at or Canada still isn't if you want to get into details.

I obvi don't know the intricacies of Canadian law or its constitution. Just found it interesting when I did a quick search for this "Canada Day" and realized it wasn't quite "independence" as I thought of it for the US.

If another country can intercede in your governing - even if they never choose to do so - I'm not sure I can call that an independent and sovereign state. Jmo. Why not just make it official and kick this GG out? Dump the Queen's tea into the harbor and burn an effigy of one of her poofy hats. That should do the trick.

Why are you living in TX? Not asking for anything too personal, just something like "job", "spouse", "Canada sucks", etc. haha

The chrome is physically damaged now, it's been scraped by the window and I have worked out an appointment with the service centre on Friday. They already said will replace it if needed. The errors are also a concern usually, they come in batches like no ABS, emergency braking disabled, no regenerative braking. I've also seen no the airbags error and unable to charge.

The interesting thing was my car got delayed one week to early June because of a software issue, I'm wondering if these errors have been showing up since then.

I've seen others mention those types of error messages. I think they were all fixed by software updates. I think. I can never seem to find anything I'm looking for when I try to search the forum, otherwise I'd try to find those threads for you.