Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road trip with AP2 - wow!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. Like you I think a lot of the "smoothness" can be improved by looking further down the road with the camera or perhaps using mapping data. At times I think the camera is simply focused too close to the nose of the car. Also, the "look ahead" doesn't seem to increase with higher speeds, as it should. A good human driver will naturally look farther down the road as speed increases.

I assume the cameras are wide angle, so they should be able to see a fair distance, albeit with decreasing resolution with distance.

GPS/maps could be very useful is to tell the car which way the road goes after the crest of a hill.

I also did a longer road trip with FW 17.17.17 last weekend. Nordic autobahns (Oslo-Gothenburg), speed limits 110-130 km/h but suitable for higher speeds. Autosteer and TACC works fine on straights and easy bends, but in more tighter turns, it was uncomfortable and jerky, oscillating. In these speeds, 130+ km/h, that does not feel safe especially for passengers.

It also suddenly swerwed on straights a number of times, and I do believe this was when there were bigger bumps or undulations in the surface. I guess this tricks the camera, like the opposite to an fake speed bump.

In general, mixed feelings. On some strecthes it works fine, on others it is uncomfortable, not even usable.

I also did a longer road trip with FW 17.17.17 last weekend. Nordic autobahns (Oslo-Gothenburg), speed limits 110-130 km/h but suitable for higher speeds. Autosteer and TACC works fine on straights and easy bends, but in more tighter turns, it was uncomfortable and jerky, oscillating. In these speeds, 130+ km/h, that does not feel safe especially for passengers.

It also suddenly swerwed on straights a number of times, and I do believe this was when there were bigger bumps or undulations in the surface. I guess this tricks the camera, like the opposite to an fake speed bump.

In general, mixed feelings. On some strecthes it works fine, on others it is uncomfortable, not even usable.

Do not rely on it, it can lull you into a false sense of security and result in an accident. Tesla's L2 autopilot is best avoided entirely unless you are truly aware it can bite you at any time due to numerous software bugs and limitations. Best to wait for a L3 system which I doubt Tesla will achieve anytime soon.

AP2 minor accident

Do not rely on it, it can lull you into a false sense of security and result in an accident. Tesla's L2 autopilot is best avoided entirely unless you are truly aware it can bite you at any time due to numerous software bugs and limitations. Best to wait for a L3 system which I doubt Tesla will achieve anytime soon.

Agree, you need to pay attention to the road, traffic and also be ready for the systems unpredictable behaviour.