Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Road trip with model 3.....really sucks.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't really need to but since I was driving right by a supercharger on the way home from picking up the car I made a brief pitstop to check it out- besides I had been waiting 2+ years to do this. 15 minutes later on my way with about 100 more miles and something to drink and only a couple of bucks out of pocket.

It's probably good advice for anyone that they should use a supercharger for the first time before you need it. First time ever on a road or trying to eek out a trip home is not the time to be unpleasantly surprised!

Reactions: hiroshiy
It's probably good advice for anyone that they should use a supercharger for the first time before you need it. First time ever on a road or trying to eek out a trip home is not the time to be unpleasantly surprised!

Same goes for those J1772 L2 networks. Before I go on a long trip I'm going to drop by the local L2 stations and double-check that my blink and ChargePoint cards work. Just In Case!

for chargepoint you can use your phone...couldn't be easier. download the app, when you get to a station just open the app and tap your phone on the machine.
I opted for the card. I figure that if my Mom is driving the car and needs to charge somewhere, there's a deck of charging cards in the center console. ChargePoint, Blink, Semaconnect, and another I can't think of at the moment.

I opted for the card. I figure that if my Mom is driving the car and needs to charge somewhere, there's a deck of charging cards in the center console. ChargePoint, Blink, Semaconnect, and another I can't think of at the moment.

well sure, but you can do both. you can use both the card and your phone...that's what i was getting at. if you happen to forget the card or can't find it, just use your phone.

we opted for the phone (even though i already have a card from when i signed up years ago when i got my volt) because it was easier to just have my wife download the app and use my login rather than have to carry a card around or worry about losing it. with the app we can always ensure we both have the ability to charge (unless we lose our phones, but if we do that's likely a bigger problem)...

well sure, but you can do both. you can use both the card and your phone...that's what i was getting at. if you happen to forget the card or can't find it, just use your phone.

we opted for the phone (even though i already have a card from when i signed up years ago when i got my volt) because it was easier to just have my wife download the app and use my login rather than have to carry a card around or worry about losing it. with the app we can always ensure we both have the ability to charge (unless we lose our phones, but if we do that's likely a bigger problem)...
Good point!

@shrspeedblade,
"I didn't really need to but since I was driving right by a supercharger on the way home from picking up the car I made a brief pitstop to check it out- besides I had been waiting 2+ years to do this. 15 minutes later on my way with about 100 more miles and something to drink and only a couple of bucks out of pocket."

I did exactly the same thing. I wanted to know what I was doing when I went on my first long trip (which I am on now).

Reactions: shrspeedblade
The only problem I had with the superchargers was my very first time at the first one, five hours into my first day's drive of my first long trip. Finally figured out that I had to park with my wheels on the line, and use the rear proximity warning to get within mere inches of the curb, in order for the cable to reach. Once I realized all that, no more problems at other superchargers.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
You might have chosen a better analogy. Life jackets on Titanic would have been worthless since people in that frigid water would have been dead of hypothermia in a few minutes.

.. and yet a few hundred survived for a few hours until help arrived.

Yes, not fighting to stay above water would help with survival odds but that's just an illustration. Tons of other examples could have been used as well for sure.

Proper preparation assumes a mindset of 2 is 1, and 1 is none.

Since you can't redundant supercharging systems, at least making sure 1 is 1 would have been good.

Between the human ability / machines they operate to make mistakes + force majure, over preparation rarely hurts you.

Glad to hear everything worked out!

Interesting that they can remotely "enable/disable" the Supercharging ability OTA at the vehicle level. It sounds like it really is a "software bug" as part of an actual internal "feature." The first use case I can think of them using it to remotely disable Supercharging is either defaulting on unpaid invoices, either purposely or by accident (i.e. expired card on file), or people who are deemed to be abusing the network. Interesting...

I have a 12-17 MS75D that had the tight charge port issue. I did in fact try the HPWC at delivery and they told me all were tight when new and it worked. But with j1772 adapter at home and first SC visit not so much. Many trial and error and yellow/orange lights with charging until finally realized thru TMC there was a six week defective batch of charge ports. And got it filed down.
So OP 1 probably did nothing wrong and recd corrupt update that disabled SC or DC circuit. Trip planner not available bc car knew it couldn’t SC.

Glad to hear everything worked out!

Interesting that they can remotely "enable/disable" the Supercharging ability OTA at the vehicle level. It sounds like it really is a "software bug" as part of an actual internal "feature." The first use case I can think of them using it to remotely disable Supercharging is either defaulting on unpaid invoices, either purposely or by accident (i.e. expired card on file), or people who are deemed to be abusing the network. Interesting...
This has been known forever. Early S 60s had optional supercharging, paid either with order or later for a higher price, like autopilot now. Cars that are totaled have supercharging disabled, unless Tesla certifies the rebuild in which case Tesla will enable it again. Both scenarios are OTA.

• Informative
Reactions: Kermee
That definitely sucks. I think Tesla should give your car free supercharging for life. It would be a nice gesture and probably wouldn’t end up costing them very much. I think it’s unreasonable to think that you should have pre-checked your car’s supercharging ability before you left on your road trip. It was charging in your garage, so why would you suspect it wouldn’t charge at a Supercharger.

Exactly. Ffs.