Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road-trip with snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really sure about I5, but in places in CA where you could get chain restrictions you have to carry chains with you if there is any chain requirement level, even though with R1/R2 restrictions you don't have to mount them with AWD and A/S (technically marked M+S) tires.

Note that the regulation refers to 'snow tires' but the definition of those is M+S, not the 'snowflake' symbol as required in some other states.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Not sure about your route, but those tires kinda suck in snow from what I've seen on YouTube. Last winter there were a bunch of videos showing people getting stuck in parking lots with just a very tiny grade and like four inches of snow. Either these are horrible youtube reviewers trying to dis on Tesla (they seem to love the car, but these videos didn't go well) or those tires really don't do well below freezing temps and with snowy roads.

It snowed a few years back - yes. I wouldn't bother changing your tires. When it snows, they're initially so unprepared that they just close it entirely until they can get a plow in there. Once it's plowed, you'll be fine with those tires. Worst case scenario, if it's closed, you can detour around Tehachpi pass... Different tires and/or chains aren't going to help when they've simply closed the road.

Reactions: Belowjobs