Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Road Trip with X - mixed feelings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's normal for an ICE SUV not to charge at a supercharger. It's a really smart trip planner :rolleyes:

But seriously...the only time I've ever seen that is when adding a charging stop manually. If it's not needed it might look like that. Post the link to the trip (or the starting and ending points).

Here you go. It's consistent over multiple tries.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180809-171822_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180809-171822_Chrome.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 59

You have down as P90 but u have P100 ...really no need to charge up to 100% IMO ...unless u are driving extremely slow a P100 won’t make 300miles on 100% anyway ...you can easily do a 80% charge with maybe a 20min stop at one supercharger or if not comfortable Initally do a 90% charge

You have down as P90 but u have P100 ...really no need to charge up to 100% IMO ...unless u are driving extremely slow a P100 won’t make 300miles on 100% anyway ...you can easily do a 80% charge with maybe a 20min stop at one supercharger or if not comfortable Initally do a 90% charge

That's the only X that they have on the pull-down menu. Ideally they have a P100D with 22s. I don't see any 22s on there either.

That's the only X that they have on the pull-down menu. Ideally they have a P100D with 22s. I don't see any 22s on there either.

Ok yah u don’t need to do a 100% charge an 80 charge and short stop is all u need ..I can’t tell how far the first supercharger is but either way 300 miles is a single short stop ...

Ok yah u don’t need to do a 100% charge an 80 charge and short stop is all u need ..I can’t tell how far the first supercharger is but either way 300 miles is a single short stop ...

That's really not bad, then. We made it in a little under 4 hours without stopping for gas for the Yukon. This says that it would be 37 minutes additional for the charging. I expected worse.

That's really not bad, then. We made it in a little under 4 hours without stopping for gas for the Yukon. This says that it would be 37 minutes additional for the charging. I expected worse.

Once you get comfortable with car you won’t put as much buffer ..that will keep stops short ..with 80% charges on my P100D (22s) going ~75 I can do 210 miles .....I do have range leftover but issue always is if u want max range you need to end up near a charger so in practice you can’t do that but I never had need to go 100% charge

Reactions: Anzir
I did 1100 miles trip last week with my X75D.

Went from SoCal to Lake Tahoe. Stopped 5 times - 25-40 minutes. The last supercharge stop was 1.5hours stop because I wanted the car has enough juice for a day driving around Lake Tahoe.

I'm fine with the car except for the AC refrigerant was leaked when I arrived the lake. Had to go back to Sacramento Rocklin, CA in next day morning to get it fixed. So 2 hours driving under 100F outside with no AC. But the good thing is the Rocklin SC was put me in front of their queue and my problem was fixed in an hour.

Another bad thing is my road trip has 2 another ICE MVP cars. Our family wanted to have breakfast, lunch, dinner together. So I couldn't go a long with them. Had to leave earlier and arrived late at any stop. Seniors have bad talk about the EV car future, which I don't like.

2 other cars need 2 drivers for switching between the stop, and they all tired after the trip while I drove the whole trip, EAP did a excellent job. So I just sat & relaxed.

So I think 100kW battery might give a better feeling for the long trip. And I see the future, where EV cars will have 200kW or 300kW battery packs.

Weird. Getting the same results. In fact sometimes it has Altamonte, St. Augustine, and Kingsland listed. But only charging at Kingsland.
Look's as if you can make it with only one stop <15 min stop in Kingsland.

I submitted a bug report to him.

Distance 281.3 miles
Driving Time 4:11
Charging Time 0:12
Total Trip Time 4:22
Total Energy Used 87.2 kWh
262 RM
Average Efficiency 310 Wh/mile
Net Elevation Change -59 feet

Reactions: P85_DA and Anzir
Weird. Getting the same results. In fact sometimes it has Altamonte, St. Augustine, and Kingsland listed. But only charging at Kingsland.
Look's as if you can make it with only one stop <15 min stop in Kingsland.

I submitted a bug report to him.

Distance 281.3 miles
Driving Time 4:11
Charging Time 0:12
Total Trip Time 4:22
Total Energy Used 87.2 kWh
262 RM
Average Efficiency 310 Wh/mile
Net Elevation Change -59 feet

Interesting thing is that the Altamonte Supercharger just became operational last week. It was held up for a few months by the city because they wanted architectural drawings stamped by a Florida firm. Surprising it's already listed on evtripplanner.

Model X vs an ICE takes more time but I'm less fatigued each way through 99% EAP usage.

To optimize supercharging, you stop at Primm headed to and leaving Vegas due to accessibility off highway and vacancy (NO LOCALS).

Supercharging slows down as you cross over 50% so marginal charging is less effective.

Going to Vegas you want to arrive at Primm with as low a charge as possible while not pushing empty.

Leaving Vegas, you charge at Primm enough to get to your choice of stop in CA.

In a nutshell, you don't have enough experience which costs you more time and frustration which has a tremendous upside.

IT ONLY GETS BETTER!

Since the P100D MS and MX use the same motors and batteris; just select the MS P100D next time. You can adjust the the temps until you get a wh/mi that's closer to yours than the MS (ie. just make it colder for exterior temp)

That's it. Everything else, elevation changes, charge times, etc. will still calculate correctly. But now it's customized for your car.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasRat and P85_DA
I wonder when FSD is a thing and more Tesla semis are on the road, that it's possible to safely draft behind one of the Tesla semis. The Tesla semi can share information including "gas" and brake, etc. so the drafting cars can do the same. That would save on lots of kWs.
Just thinking out loud and in writing.

Reactions: P85_DA
I wonder when FSD is a thing and more Tesla semis are on the road, that it's possible to safely draft behind one of the Tesla semis. The Tesla semi can share information including "gas" and brake, etc. so the drafting cars can do the same. That would save on lots of kWs.
Just thinking out loud and in writing.

Just thinking out loud (and being absurd,) what if we took it a step further? What if FSD allowed you to drive onto semi's that were car carriers? Sure it'll be a little bit of a burden on the Semi, but it's not like you're plugging into it to charge while you hitch a ride...maybe it'll even turn into a gig thing. TeslaLyft. You can drive on, hitch a ride, grab a charge and you end up paying a small fee. The truck has to keep going that direction anyway; especially for return/empty legs. Then again..maybe I just want the opportunity to pretend I'm knight rider..

Just thinking out loud (and being absurd,) what if we took it a step further? What if FSD allowed you to drive onto semi's that were car carriers? Sure it'll be a little bit of a burden on the Semi, but it's not like you're plugging into it to charge while you hitch a ride...maybe it'll even turn into a gig thing. TeslaLyft. You can drive on, hitch a ride, grab a charge and you end up paying a small fee. The truck has to keep going that direction anyway; especially for return/empty legs. Then again..maybe I just want the opportunity to pretend I'm knight rider..

Not sure I want to ride at 60 mph on a car carrier driven by a guy or gal is pissed off that they only get paid when driving, and not for the two hours they spent loading people that did not want to drive their $100,000 luxury cars.

But the Knight Rider part is cool. But didn't they have a box trailer so KITT was inside?