Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Road Trip with X - mixed feelings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thinking out loud (and being absurd,) what if we took it a step further? What if FSD allowed you to drive onto semi's that were car carriers? Sure it'll be a little bit of a burden on the Semi, but it's not like you're plugging into it to charge while you hitch a ride...maybe it'll even turn into a gig thing. TeslaLyft. You can drive on, hitch a ride, grab a charge and you end up paying a small fee. The truck has to keep going that direction anyway; especially for return/empty legs. Then again..maybe I just want the opportunity to pretend I'm knight rider..

I loooooved Knight Rider as a kid. Episodes are available on CBS All Access so I pulled up my favorites. Wow, that was some horrible acting/scripting/ production. But still cool!

I did 1100 miles trip last week with my X75D.

Another bad thing is my road trip has 2 another ICE MVP cars. Our family wanted to have breakfast, lunch, dinner together. So I couldn't go a long with them. Had to leave earlier and arrived late at any stop. Seniors have bad talk about the EV car future, which I don't like.

there's an interesting point. if you are caravan-ing with family, you can't keep up because of the charging requirements.

Reactions: r0xx0r
Living in Phoenix we go on several road trips a year with kids on tow to So. Cal. and Colorado. It's one of the reasons why I'm still on the fence about buying a Tesla when you add a new element what to do with the entertainment of children in the middle of heat or cold while the battery is
I have used:
iPad
Cloud game through glass roof
Conversation
Snack time
Sing along
Drawing on screen

OP here. First of all - thanks to everyone who chimed in - your posts definitely helped in resetting my expectations and adjusting my Vegas comeback planning. Left Sin City with about 80%...enough to get me to Yermo at about 10% - provided I drove like my mom (65 MPH). I don't think so. Baker was just at the right point on the trip to make a pit-stop. By the time the kids went potty and we bought some snacks at the Shell next to the Supercharger - the 10 minutes at the "electron pump" gave me enough juice to last to Yermo with a nice 25% reserve - that allowed me to hit the road pushing 80-90 on the uphills. Yay for instant acceleration.
In the meantime I found out that Yermo supercharger is right at the Eddy World - a candy emporium! Not stopping there would be just good parenting...but that's not me either so we stopped to refuel with ice-cream and gummy bears. By the time the kiddos finished their cherries on top of the sundaes, Moneypenny (yes, that's her name) was again ready to hit the road. Got home at about 6% battery. A much better experience than going to Vegas - perhaps because of weather being a much much cooler 103 (instead of 118). Good thing for them seat warmers, am I right?