Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot alone is the main reason I took my Tesla to road trip. without Autopilot, Supercharger network, no matter how much battery you put into an EV, it's still a glorified commute tool, that's what I saw I-Pace, Mission-e, I.D...

Reactions: morrisdl
Yeah, I agree with @outdoors, but my wife shares your concerns. I was thinking I would have mine before our spring break road trip, but it's not going to make it in time. I guess she's worried that something might go wrong and she doesn't want to put rock chips on it so quickly (it is officially HER car lol). I think it'd be fun to really learn about the car, get comfortable with it, and have a good basis for comparison with the S.

Either way, enjoy your road trip and your 3 @Cnasty!!

Took our S, and then our 3, on long road trips to the winter/spring Mammoth Mountain snows within the first few weeks of ownership.

Why take an inferior car?

I went from San Jose to San Diego, and back, just under 2 weeks after I got the car - long weekend road trip. I wanted to see how super charging went (it's nice and quick) and in general see how the car was on such a trip. It was really comfortable and I'm glad I didn't chicken out and take the ICE car.. car performed well and I'd do it again as soon as I can find a worthy trip
Man, I'm hoping to do a trip like this is May. Crossing my fingers that it'll get delivered before then (no invite yet).

Thanks for all the feedback and reality slaps in the face that I needed.

After taking delivery today I cannot see taking this road trip in this car. It has blown me away just driving it around all night and putting 50 miles on it already!!! ;)

Great info and looking forward to many memories and stories with our little ones in our first major road trip in the 3.

I appreciate all the input

Going to give a counter point.

Two advantages to a rental.
1. Nationwide support if there is a break down or accident. Swap for new rental, keep going.
2. You can cut the drive time way down. A 3 is better range than an X, so your mileage will definatly vary, but planning the trip from MI to FL would have been 3 days in an X (90 via Turo) vs 2 days in a gas-mobile. Impact depends on if the drive is part of the trip, or the means to get to/from the trip.

That said, if we owned an X100D (or anything reliable), we would have taken it.

• Informative
Reactions: Cnasty
Going to give a counter point.

Two advantages to a rental.
1. Nationwide support if there is a break down or accident. Swap for new rental, keep going.
2. You can cut the drive time way down. A 3 is better range than an X, so your mileage will definatly vary, but planning the trip from MI to FL would have been 3 days in an X (90 via Turo) vs 2 days in a gas-mobile. Impact depends on if the drive is part of the trip, or the means to get to/from the trip.

That said, if we owned an X100D (or anything reliable), we would have taken it.
Driving a Tesla does not add any to "drive time". It adds to the total time IF you never stop in a gas car. No eating. No potty breaks. No stopping for gas.

Implying that it takes 50% longer to make the average trip in a Tesla is just bunk.

Driving a Tesla does not add any to "drive time". It adds to the total time IF you never stop in a gas car. No eating. No potty breaks. No stopping for gas.

Implying that it takes 33% longer to make the average trip in a Tesla is just bunk.

I get what you are saying, but it is true in this case. I can even dig up the spreadsheet I made to try to cost justify the Turo X if you want. We really wanted to take a Tesla, but the numbers didn't support it.

Using an ICE with 340+ mile range, we only needed 2 day to get from Michigan to Cocoa Beach/ Canaveral (full days of driving). The extra 3+ hours of charging required per day with the Tesla would have made the travel time too long for safety and would have pushed us into a 3 day trip. Not three full days, but more than two, requiring an extra night of hotel on the way. Due to itinerary, we would have had to leave a day earlier.
And yeah, we ate lunch in the car after hitting the drive through (10 minutes) breakfast and dinner were at the destinations. No kids, only two gas stops each day (one timed with lunch)

Per Tesla's route planner. Ann Arbor to Cocoa Beach, FL X100D
Duration: 24 h 29 min (1,195 mi)

Evtripplanner.com X90P
Distance 1,250.6 miles
Driving Time 19:41
Charging Time 4:33
Total Trip Time 24:14
Total Energy Used 427.1 kWh
1,283 RM
Average Efficiency 342 Wh/mile
Net Elevation Change -853 feet

Per Google maps
17 h 46 min

1,163 miles

via I-77 S and I-95 S

6.75 hours difference each way. With chargers at the hotel, one stop's worth of time could be eliminated dropping it to 6 extra hours call it 5 hours if gas stops were 30 minutes a day. So 2.5 hours extra a day on the road. 9am-9pm driving is too much for me, 9 am to 6 pm was bad enough. And that does not take into account the monsoon in Georgia, or actual driving speed.

Again, if we owned one, we would have taken it and made the trip longer (due to weather in Michigan, we made the return trip 3 days anyway)

One more tip:

All supercharger stalls are not the same. When you show up to a supercharger location, watch the charger speed after a few minutes and make sure the speed doesn't get too slow. Even at the same supercharger location, some stalls are faster than others (by a lot).
Does this change day-to-day or are there just some "slow" stalls? Has there been any fruitful discussion about why this may be?

One more tip:

All supercharger stalls are not the same. When you show up to a supercharger location, watch the charger speed after a few minutes and make sure the speed doesn't get too slow. Even at the same supercharger location, some stalls are faster than others (by a lot).

This is good to know. I rarely supercharged in my S and never saw this.

What should i be looking for ideally? 120Kwh? A certain per mile amount?

I was reading a bit into this and it looks as though the rated range is 170 miles per half hour at optimum for the LR 3 but havent really researched too much into it yet.

I get what you are saying, but it is true in this case. I can even dig up the spreadsheet I made to try to cost justify the Turo X if you want. We really wanted to take a Tesla, but the numbers didn't support it.

Using an ICE with 340+ mile range, we only needed 2 day to get from Michigan to Cocoa Beach/ Canaveral (full days of driving). The extra 3+ hours of charging required per day with the Tesla would have made the travel time too long for safety and would have pushed us into a 3 day trip. Not three full days, but more than two, requiring an extra night of hotel on the way. Due to itinerary, we would have had to leave a day earlier.
And yeah, we ate lunch in the car after hitting the drive through (10 minutes) breakfast and dinner were at the destinations. No kids, only two gas stops each day (one timed with lunch)

Per Tesla's route planner. Ann Arbor to Cocoa Beach, FL X100D
Duration: 24 h 29 min (1,195 mi)

Evtripplanner.com X90P
Distance 1,250.6 miles
Driving Time 19:41
Charging Time 4:33
Total Trip Time 24:14
Total Energy Used 427.1 kWh
1,283 RM
Average Efficiency 342 Wh/mile
Net Elevation Change -853 feet

Per Google maps
17 h 46 min

1,163 miles

via I-77 S and I-95 S

6.75 hours difference each way. With chargers at the hotel, one stop's worth of time could be eliminated dropping it to 6 extra hours call it 5 hours if gas stops were 30 minutes a day. So 2.5 hours extra a day on the road. 9am-9pm driving is too much for me, 9 am to 6 pm was bad enough. And that does not take into account the monsoon in Georgia, or actual driving speed.

Again, if we owned one, we would have taken it and made the trip longer (due to weather in Michigan, we made the return trip 3 days anyway)
That is definitely a pretty hardcore road trip schedule! I actually like the pace more of trips in a Tesla where it forces you to get out and stretch and relax a bit, which is also healthier overall. It's also hard to truly describe the difference in how you feel when you arrive after 12hrs of driving on AP vs. 12hrs of driving my ICE on road trips. BUT that's very subjective and everybody has their preference for a road trip! I think Tesla allows you to enjoy the actual road trip itself, versus making it a punishing race to get to the destination itself as quickly as possible(may as well take a plane and rent then IMO)

Reactions: Cnasty
That is definitely a pretty hardcore road trip schedule! I actually like the pace more of trips in a Tesla where it forces you to get out and stretch and relax a bit, which is also healthier overall. It's also hard to truly describe the difference in how you feel when you arrive after 12hrs of driving on AP vs. 12hrs of driving my ICE on road trips. BUT that's very subjective and everybody has their preference for a road trip! I think Tesla allows you to enjoy the actual road trip itself, versus making it a punishing race to get to the destination itself as quickly as possible(may as well take a plane and rent then IMO)

Plane would have been faster and cheaper. The trip was for the Falcon Heavy launch, so return timing was very not stable (potential scrub(s)). I also don't fold into airline seats well. We combined the trip with a visit to family on the way down, and dawdled on the way back since launch happened on schedule (the enjoyment section). Given our current fleet of 14+year old cars, the rental we did use was a pure joy to drive.

Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
Only if you call multiple threads with hundred of posts with speculation “fruitful”.
This forum does have a search function. You could try slow superchargers.
Well that's what I was looking for, help cuttinng through the cruft of hundreds of not-fruitful posts. :)

The only thing I've seen that seems solid is that sharing a double-headed stand means you'll be sharing the 120kW (135kW at stealth-upgraded locations). Which makes sense electrically, 1/2 the cost of running wire to the stalls and you can have a lot more stalls for the same overall size of site electrical service.

P.S. I'd also wouldn't be surprised if all the stalls got limited when it was really busy, if the stall count was high enough that cumulative load allowing near max of 120kW/double stall was more than the site's main service.

Last edited: