Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AKinDC

Apr 30, 2019
DC
More of a mini-road trip really, but still the first time I've taken out my LR-RWD outside of my immediate vicinity.

For starters, I couldn't believe how many other Teslas I saw on the road...my son made a game of counting all of them.
The car rode beautifully, and got almost exactly the mileage indicated out of the battery.
Only had to charge one, at a supercharger off the highway...was pleasantly surprised to get more than 620 mph for a really quick stop.
AP was wonderful, both in traffic and at highway speeds. It's a bit nerve-wracking to use at first, but it actually got relaxing pretty quickly.

The only negative was a little wind noise coming in from the driver's side front door/window. If I ever have to bring the car in for service, I might have them look at it as well, but 99% of the time I have the radio on, so it's not a really big deal.

Love this car.

Agree, my wife and I drove our SR+ M3 from Ontario to Florida over the Christmas holidays which is about 2,500KMs. Google maps says it is a 24 hour journey but the ABetterRoute Planner App Navigation said it would take 29 hours with charging stops. We decided to take 3 days to do the drive to Florida and stopped 2 nights. Our first day took 11 hours stopping 4 times to charge at Superchargers and staying at a hotel in Lexington, KY that offered 4 Tesla destination chargers to charge over night. The second day was 4 stops and took 11 hours and got us to Tifton, GA in a similar hotel. That left us 7 hours on the final day to Naples, FL with 3 stops. The superchargers were GREAT. They were close to the highway, never full and always near food or shopping. After 5 days in Florida the return home was equally as easy for a total of 5,000KMs.

The auotpilot made driving these long distances less taxing. If anyone is doubting if an EV can be used for long road trips they shouldn't worry though only Tesla has made it easy with their fast charging stations. I had 7,500KMs of free supercharging to use up but RoutePlanner said it would have cost me $97 in charging. Last time I drove this trip in a gas car I spent over $400 in fuel! And best of all I did this trip without burning any carbon!

Regrettably, some carbon was used in production of the energy, but no where as much as gas in an ICE.

I think that I could probably guess which hotels you staid in, been portions of that route and probably stayed in the same Ky hotel. Tifton, I've stopped in many times and known that there are destination chargers near the Superchargers. We've gone into the Applebees and after charging some of on the Supercharger, move it to the destination chargers for the remainder of the meal.

So, what do you think that "added charging time" was. That's the time that you sat only charging. If you are eating or sleeping, that's "free charging time"

Regrettably, some carbon was used in production of the energy, but no where as much as gas in an ICE.

I think that I could probably guess which hotels you staid in, been portions of that route and probably stayed in the same Ky hotel. Tifton, I've stopped in many times and known that there are destination chargers near the Superchargers. We've gone into the Applebees and after charging some of on the Supercharger, move it to the destination chargers for the remainder of the meal.

So, what do you think that "added charging time" was. That's the time that you sat only charging. If you are eating or sleeping, that's "free charging time"

Right, 11 superchargers at 20-30 mins a stop is an extra 5 hours of overall trip time.