Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
High everyone, thanks in advance for your support.

I just received my long range Model Y a few months ago and I'm loving it so far. My family and I are planning a trip from Vegas to Disneyland. This will be our first road trip in the MY.
I'm just looking for advise on charging stations and or experience on what to be prepared for when road tripping. I will likely charge once on the way out in either Yermo or Barstow, but not sure where to charge when we get to our hotel. The hotel (walking distance to the park) doesn't offer any EV charging. My thoughts are the SC's in the area are crowded but I'm unsure, I have never even used a charger outside of my home before. Any tips or advise is appreciated, thank you!

Install the PlugShare app on your phone. PlugShare will help you to locate public charging stations close to your location. Also, Google Maps can display electric vehicle charging stations and SuperCharger locations. Be sure to bring your Tesla J1772 adapter so you can charge using public level 2 charging stations. Unless you are staying at someone's home or camping you should not need to bring the Mobile Connector.

Reactions: AZMurph
Honestly, for that length of trip the Tesla Nav routing is 100% fine and less of a hassle than running ABRP. There are enough chargers between Vegas and SoCal and *tons* in Orange County. A lot of those chargers will be overcrowded but it's manageable. Charge up to 70-80% when you get into town and you won't have to worry about charging again until you leave.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I use ABRP to get an idea before going but use the car during the trip. The car is very accurate. If you get different projections split the difference. ABRP takes weather into account.

I just took a road trip and ABRP was very conservative until I adjusted the reference consumption to 250 wh/mi. Be careful with that though to get the setting on something that works for you. For me, that works.

If you can stay at a hotel with a charger it’s nice, but that’s not totally necessary.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I used ABRP planner to build my "flight plan" but since it doesn't provide "turn by turn" directions it didn't provide all the answers to my route questions. I wanted to try to avoid some big cities along my route that it kept outing me through and there were other options looking at the location of SuperChargers. So I built "legs" using the car's nav system to get me the custom route I wanted. I now find the car system does route planning better.

Can't wait for WAYPOINTS to come to the built-in nav system.

Reactions: MBx4
Log into your account on Tesla.com and add a credit card/payment method for Supercharging, if you haven't already. Locate and go to your local Supercharger and try charging so you understand how everything works. It's simple (park, grab the charger handle and hit the button on top to open your charge port, plug in) and it's the same at all Superchargers. Try a couple different Superchargers (L2 and L3) so you understand what to expect.

- To get the best charging rate you need to have a relatively hot battery (this is isn't easy) and low state of charge (<10%).
- The battery will preheat a bit when you navigate to it, but you can also heat it up by driving fast and/or yo-yoing (accelerate hard, let off to regen, accelerate hard, let off to reg, ...etc...).
- L2/150kW chargers share so you should space out to get max charging.
- L1 and L3 chargers don't share so you can park beside others.
- Teslas are everywhere, especially in Cali. You can probably follow other Teslas when getting near Superchargers.

High everyone, thanks in advance for your support.

I just received my long range Model Y a few months ago and I'm loving it so far. My family and I are planning a trip from Vegas to Disneyland. This will be our first road trip in the MY.
I'm just looking for advise on charging stations and or experience on what to be prepared for when road tripping. I will likely charge once on the way out in either Yermo or Barstow, but not sure where to charge when we get to our hotel. The hotel (walking distance to the park) doesn't offer any EV charging. My thoughts are the SC's in the area are crowded but I'm unsure, I have never even used a charger outside of my home before. Any tips or advise is appreciated, thank you!

Reactions: PackMan730 and MBx4
Log into your account on Tesla.com and add a credit card/payment method for Supercharging, if you haven't already. Locate and go to your local Supercharger and try charging so you understand how everything works. It's simple (park, grab the charger handle and hit the button on top to open your charge port, plug in) and it's the same at all Superchargers. Try a couple different Superchargers (L2 and L3) so you understand what to expect.
Thats "v2" and "v3". For "version". L2 vs L3 is entirely different. That refers to Level 2 charging (240 V AC charging in the US), like you might install at home, versus Level 3 (direct current fast charging), which means Superchargers for Tesla and CCS or CHAdeMO chargers for other cars.
- To get the best charging rate you need to have a relatively hot battery (this is isn't easy) and low state of charge (<10%).
It's actually pretty easy to get the battery up to very close to optimal temperature in the summer. That last tiny bit you might get by really optimizing the battery temperature won't make a noticeable difference to your charging time.

- The battery will preheat a bit when you navigate to it, but you can also heat it up by driving fast and/or yo-yoing (accelerate hard, let off to regen, accelerate hard, let off to reg, ...etc...).
Please don't ever do this on a public road.

Also, you'll waste more time doing this stunt than you'll save charging. Just don't.

- L2/150kW chargers share so you should space out to get max charging.
- L1 and L3 chargers don't share so you can park beside others.
Again, Version, not Level.

Basically, if they are numbered with A and B, pick one without someone on the other half of the A-B pair. If they're numbered A,B,C,D, park anywhere. The A-B pairs are usually side by side, but I think in some cases they're arranged oddly. It's the number of the stall that matters.

Install the PlugShare app on your phone. PlugShare will help you to locate public charging stations close to your location. Also, Google Maps can display electric vehicle charging stations and SuperCharger locations. Be sure to bring your Tesla J1772 adapter so you can charge using public level 2 charging stations. Unless you are staying at someone's home or camping you should not need to bring the Mobile Connector.
I would never leave my home area without the charging adapter and J1772 adapter which came from the car. If for whatever reason you get in a bind, you can at least plug in to a wall outlet. Sinee I installed a wall charger adapter, the mobile adapter and a couple of AC plugs (the most popular RV plug).

I would never leave my home area without the charging adapter and J1772 adapter which came from the car. If for whatever reason you get in a bind, you can at least plug in to a wall outlet. Sinee I installed a wall charger adapter, the mobile adapter and a couple of AC plugs (the most popular RV plug).
Left off the ending...
Since I installed a wall charger adapter, the mobile adapter and a couple of AC plugs (including the most popular RV plug) stay in the car. The bag fits nicely in the frunk with the tire repair kit and jack adapters.
Kind of like a pistol. You really don't need one until you need one. Then you really really need one.