Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I'm planning to take my first road trip with the family from Staten Island NY to Altamont NY its about 320 miles.
I'm trying to plan it correctly, please give me a few tips

Sorry for being corny, when I drove a gas car I did not worry .

Thank you

Reactions: EdSt
Real world range is about 275mi if you keep it under 70 in a MYP. The route planner is real good at telling you where to recharge so use that first. ABRP (an app) is also very good at helping you plan out your route. It’s fine to charge your car to 95 or even 100% just before hitting the road for a long trip. Good luck and don’t stress out about the charging. Also try PlugShare which is helpful at showing various charging options.

Reactions: EdSt and MIM1
Real world range is about 275mi if you keep it under 70 in a MYP. The route planner is real good at telling you where to recharge so use that first. ABRP (an app) is also very good at helping you plan out your route. It’s fine to charge your car to 95 or even 100% just before hitting the road for a long trip. Good luck and don’t stress out about the charging. Also try PlugShare which is helpful at showing various charging options.
yup, good points. I like ABRP, but for a trip that short, I just use the in-car suggestion on where I need to charge.

Anything planned the day before wouldn't be the route chosen during the drive because of traffic and construction slow downs - especially in NY.

The days of AAA Trip Ticks from the same "summer" doesn't exist anymore. NAV is supposed to update based on Traffic.

Obviously the route chosen will depend on traffic and construction conditions in NY as well on that same day.

My longest trip yet was 100 miles on Tuesday, and the built in NAV and Waze were identical taking into account NY rush hour traffic. I still like WAZE on my wife's phone to see speed traps - but followed the built in NAV. I did not need to supercharge, but similarly the built in NAV updates based on how many stall are free and time. I would probably take a longer "leg stretch break" and charge a larger amount and choose fewer stops. But it would depend on where I would be traveling and anticipated rush hour or vacation traffic (like avoiding GW bridge for "get out of the NYC traffic")

Reactions: MIM1