TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First road trip

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mrjedistud, Feb 13, 2016.

1. mrjedistud

mrjedistud Member

Hey guys. So I took my first road trip after about 300 miles of ownership. New York to DC. just a few thoughts to share.

The drive itself was so good. Very smooth on the road with a quiet ride all the way. The car handled great. It even snowed and the car (rwd model) had no problem.

Gps was about half a step behind. Led to one or two small hiccups but we survived. Also it kept routing to a supercharger right by where I started from. One that I could have easily skipped.

Now. Range anxiety. It was real. We had to get to DC by a certain time so I didn't have too much time to charge up too many additional miles. With the recent cold wave in the northeast there was a decent amount of range loss. In fact for the first 30-45 minutes of the drive I was averaging about 1 mile for every 1Kw consumed. Because of the cold regen was very limited. Once the battery warmed up it increased to 2:1. Then ultimately needed close to 3:1. We made it into DC with a small about of range left and ultimately to the supercharger with just a handful of miles left on the range. For the last 90 minutes I have to drive much more conservatively to save on range. Thankfully everything worked out but it was nerve racking for a while.

Hopefully road trips in the summer are noticeably better. Also ones without a deadline to get to the destination by so we can take our time and charge up.

2. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

It sounds like you didn't preheat the car before departing. Do this while plugged in and you will have all or most of your regen braking, and won't waste range heating the interior.

3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

the moral to the story is to always start a road trip with a range charge. secondly turn off the trip planner it really isn't necessary and it doesn't always work well, lastly cold, snow and headwinds will always be a range affecting factor, you need to plan accordingly. I've done that trip many times and if you can destination charge wherever it is you where going in order to return, a range charge in DE is more than sufficient to get you to DC.

4. tstafford

tstafford Member

Also turn off Trip Planning function. It makes the routing to the SC near your house thing less annoying as far as I can tell.

5. mrjedistud

mrjedistud Member

I'll play around. But if you know off the top of your head. How do you turn off trip planning.

also I had to leave after work and couldn't preheat or range charge.

6. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Wait so u charged in NY then nonstop to DC?

7. mrjedistud

mrjedistud Member

No way. Didn't mean to imply that it was a one shot. Especially in 20 degree temperatures. Stopped in cranbury nj then Newark Delaware. Then limped into the Bethesda temporary supercharger.

8. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I don't understand why you needed to limp into bethesada, I've made it from Newark to Glenn Allen va on a range charge.

9. RichieTheC

RichieTheC Member

Sorry for dumb question but what is a range charge?

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

100% charge.