Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road / work trip -

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Mid March I took delivery of a LR with 19inch wheels and added FSD as an in app purchase with a cash back credit card. I work in the summer camp industry and as we prepare to reopen after mostly being closed due to COVID, I have to start taking weekly 200-400 mile round trips from the metro NY area to ”upstate” NY and PA: Adirondacks, Poconos and Catskills.

The last month and half of ownership has been mostly local errands and driving the kids to school early in the morning when it’s cold. This past week was finally my first chance to test the MY highway and rural back road performance. I’ll say from the outset that I do tend to drive a bit conservatively in these areas, +5 on back roads and +7 on the interstate.

Two efficiency examples: i did a 100 mile RT all on rural back roads where the speed limit was 45 & 55, in 38° temps and lots of hills around the PA/NY border, Delaware river area and returned 265 wh/mi. Next was the return home from the Poconos: 115 miles, mostly interstate, mostly FSD, +7 = 72 MPH around 70° and returned an amazing 247 wh/mi (there was a few miles of stop and go traffic leading up to the Mario Cuomo Bridge) but still, I’m extremely satisfied.

I also added mudflaps (which clearly aren’t impacting range here) and the rear door official ppf as I do drive on gravel and dirt roads around camp.

My most frequent trip is 200 miles one way with the longest distance between any two camps being 234. In a pinch, on a full charge, I feel very confident about the range (combined with my driving style and during the warmer months). With free charging at all camp locations, all have 240 available, the MY is a very cost effective vehicle for my job!

6103CCA9-7B5B-475A-BCC7-D252C6FF69F5.jpeg
Tesla at camp

429AC2E4-1939-4217-B43F-7FA46B2BD61A.jpeg

Last edited:
What are the charging options for the various camp locations? Are you able to use the same receptacle, i.e. NEMA 14-50 at each camp or do you have to carry multiple plug adapters (in addition to the NEMA 5-15 plug adapter.)