Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Roof installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No not me, Elon and JB of course. Not sure others mentioned it

Tesla Finishes First Solar Roofs—Including Elon’s House

Anyhow, wish the NY plant was up and going so I could maybe get one. In other solar roof news:

go check out Forward Labs that is building a solar roof and installs are open for 2018 in the bay area, they look like metal roofs which would be a good fit for me in horse country.

and always check out the local grid. People here get a thumbs up, do the work, then get hit with huge charges.

Philly.com
Kevin Dunleavy, an environmentally conscious roofing contractor, was anxious to start installing a new solar array on a hill in his Chester County yard.

He meticulously researched solar panels, took an online certification course, and, with an electrician, crafted detailed plans, down to the font size of lettering on the electrical service panel.

But there was one thing he didn’t anticipate: a $45,000 estimate from Peco to hook into the utility grid. That connection is crucial, because on sunny days, the system could generate excess power that would go to the grid. Conversely, on cloudy days, Dunleavy might need power from the grid.

In essence, the power company told him the distribution system near his home was too small to handle the amount of energy his backyard array might kick back into the grid. Equipment would have to be upgraded not only along the rolling road he lives off in the Marshallton section of West Bradford Township, but farther down the road as well.

“I never expected that they would not be able to take my energy,” Dunleavy said. “I was blown away by that. I invested a lot of time and passion.” In fact, he is hoping to make solar part of his business, if he can succeed with his own setup.

Besides, he said, he simply can’t afford it. He’s already sunk more than $6,000 into planning his array, tree work, the online course, permitting, and deposits. That doesn’t include an additional $18,000 for the solar panels themselves.

Peco gave him until mid-September to come up with a $4,500 nonrefundable deposit. He’s scrambling now for an answer. Dunleavy said that he believes the utility has tried to work with him, but that he’s being asked to shoulder a burden for upgrades that will benefit other customers who might install solar in the future.

and always check out the local grid. People here get a thumbs up, do the work, then get hit with huge charges.

Philly.com
Kevin Dunleavy, an environmentally conscious roofing contractor, was anxious to start installing a new solar array on a hill in his Chester County yard.

He meticulously researched solar panels, took an online certification course, and, with an electrician, crafted detailed plans, down to the font size of lettering on the electrical service panel.

But there was one thing he didn’t anticipate: a $45,000 estimate from Peco to hook into the utility grid. That connection is crucial, because on sunny days, the system could generate excess power that would go to the grid. Conversely, on cloudy days, Dunleavy might need power from the grid.

In essence, the power company told him the distribution system near his home was too small to handle the amount of energy his backyard array might kick back into the grid. Equipment would have to be upgraded not only along the rolling road he lives off in the Marshallton section of West Bradford Township, but farther down the road as well.

“I never expected that they would not be able to take my energy,” Dunleavy said. “I was blown away by that. I invested a lot of time and passion.” In fact, he is hoping to make solar part of his business, if he can succeed with his own setup.

Besides, he said, he simply can’t afford it. He’s already sunk more than $6,000 into planning his array, tree work, the online course, permitting, and deposits. That doesn’t include an additional $18,000 for the solar panels themselves.

Peco gave him until mid-September to come up with a $4,500 nonrefundable deposit. He’s scrambling now for an answer. Dunleavy said that he believes the utility has tried to work with him, but that he’s being asked to shoulder a burden for upgrades that will benefit other customers who might install solar in the future.

Philly.com

How did he not know about the charge?

That kind of utility response is going to lead to load departure. That customer should reduce the solar size and put the difference into batteries so they never have to sell back to the grid. Keep everything behind the meter and you don't need permission from the utility.

Reactions: robertvg
PECO pulled this in southestern PA when a group of installs went through last summer. They're basically trying to say the first individual who installs solar in a an area with an old-school crappy transformer needs to pay the entire cost to upgrade that transformer. LOL!

Needless to say, some folks took issue with that. From what I'm hearing this type of nonsense is rapidly waning. Philadelphia is on the cusp of installing a LOT of residential solar and the city actually has the consumers back here, so I can't imagine PECO's going to be able to do this for much longer. It's all just stalling tactics.

PECO is an Exelon company who I thought was showing at least some foresight and grasp of reality, but stories like this have me worried. Perhaps Exelon can simply be booted from the Philly metro area and we can bring in Tesla Energy to run the grid?

PECO pulled this in southestern PA when a group of installs went through last summer. They're basically trying to say the first individual who installs solar in a an area with an old-school crappy transformer needs to pay the entire cost to upgrade that transformer. LOL!

Just have a neighborhood meeting and have everyone agree to turn on their largest electric load (air conditioner, stove, clothes drier, ...) in the house all at the same time. Blow the undersized transformers as many times as it takes to force the power company to upgrade their supposedly undersized gear for themselves.