TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First service appointment 1 month and 2 days from today???

Discussion in 'Model S' started by osama, Mar 16, 2015.

1. osama

osama Member

I called my service centre in Toronto, Canada today to book an appointment to install my summer wheels/tires and they told me the first available appointment is April 18th (today is March 16th). Are they kidding? One month and two days?!

This is not acceptable for a car that costs nearly $150K.

2. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

It isn't just Toronto. Tesla service centers are notorious for having longish backlogs for non emergency service. If it is just a tire change, that can be done many different places, you don't have to rely on Tesla.

3. osama

osama Member

But they have my wheels and tires. I don't even think four 21" wheels/tires would fit in the MS to haul somewhere else. When I bought the car I was told tire changes were a valet service from my house (I live 5 minutes away from the SC). I guess they left out the (in a month) part.

Very annoying.

4. brickfrenzy

brickfrenzy Member

Model-S-Trunk-Wheel-Tires-1024x682.jpg

You'd be quite wrong about that.

5. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

#5 AndreyATC, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    I got my appointment within less than a week, but it wasn't just a regular service
    The wiper spring broke, so it was a bit urgent

P.S. Hauling wheels should be the least of one's problem

Attached Files:

6. osama

osama Member

I stand corrected. Thank you for posting the picture!

7. eco5280

eco5280 Member

Denver is 6 weeks out.

8. Banahogg

Banahogg Member

I've had 4 service appointments (counting one scheduled for this week). It's been between 3 and 5 weeks wait, including both appointments where I had a failed door handle.

I've put "long wait for appointment" as my feedback after each appointment so far and the response has always been that they're working on it.

9. osama

osama Member

False alarm ... after complaining I got an appointment for Wednesday (2 days from now). The faith in Tesla has been restored :)

10. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Glad to hear that. Now you hope that the final massive snow storm of the year does not materialize.

11. osama

osama Member

No worries ... I will use my new winter car if it snows :)

IMG_5922.jpeg

12. tga

tga Active Member

Congrats on the new winter car. However, I can vouch that that car is somewhat sub-obtimal in winter weather... :wink:

Well, in fairness, mine's a 996. I'm sure the 991's are much better in the snow! :smile: (Well, as long as your engine stays together!)

13. Torpedo Ted

Torpedo Ted Member

#13 Torpedo Ted, Mar 16, 2015
    Haha, that's cute. In Norway there's a 6 months waiting for service. Even for defects/issues covered by warranty there's at least 4 month waiting now, unless it's a safety problem.

My P85 was delivered with 1 defective AC vent and reverse lamps with water in them, still not fixed after 1 year of ownership! :(

14. fadkar

fadkar Member

I'd rather use the Tesla in the winter! The P85D is AWD. I'd love taking the GT3 out in the summer on some windy roads!

15. Not an Ice

Not an Ice Member

Well Osama, if you are at the service centre between 2 and about 3:30 picking up say hello, I pick up my D at 2 on the same day as your tire change. 2 more sleeps!

16. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Was a decent wait for my 3G issue a while back at Devon PA. 5 weeks IIRC.

Tesla needs more service centers.

17. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#17 dsm363, Mar 16, 2015
    It appears they eliminating service center hours on Saturday now too. Hope that changes back.

18. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

I should think wheels and tires, and even alignments, could be handled by someone other than a Tesla SC. Aren't we pleased to have graduated from the clutches of dealer service centers? This may be a contrarian view, but the only way to get beyond price gouging may be to get these cars out to independent mechanics for routine automotive work. Of course it will be a long time before they are comfortable with electrical work on cars with 400V batteries in them. I've already seen that with a Lexus hybrid.

19. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Agree completely...the Saturday appointment bailed me out a few times...

20. krisg81

krisg81 Member

Out here in CA non-emergency service appointments are 1.5 months out, yet the BMW dealership is only 1 day out for any type of issues. It's actually really bad. My P85 was rattling like crazy, very annoying, but since it wasn't "critical" it took them almost 2 months to resolve. I love the car so I put up with it, but trust me- that will grow old if there are not improvements.

Its scary to think they only have the Model S (and some Roadsters). Imagine if the Model X was out already! Sometimes growing too fast is bad for a company, and they are selling so many cars that the service centers can't handle right now. A tech I spoke to said if the Model X or 3 was out right now there would be no possible way they could service all of them right now.

I personally do not ever want the Model 3 to be released and want them to continue to delay the Model X until the proper amount of service centers and supercharging stations are available. All of early adopters are going to be killed when it comes to servicing and charging our Model S's when these other vehicles are released. Tesla needs to hurry up the build out process of their service locations, like, NOW