Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Service Appointment - Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my car was booked in for a few niggles via the app. The original date I was given was 6th December (booked it in the third week of Oct). Niggles were as follows:
  • Bumper on driver side misaligned
  • Excessive wind noise on passenger side front window
  • Creaking on driver side door on uneven roads
Having submitted these i think the team reviewed the issues and decided that they would need to see the car sooner as they needed to take it out to hear the creaking and wind. This brought my appointment date to today - great news :)

In the mean time I noticed a couple of other things: 1) the wheel well lining on the driver side was quite loose so my mudflap wouldn't adhere correctly; 2) a scratch on the driver side of the windscreen close to the dash (this was between the laminate of the glass so not sure how it got there - I must have missed it in the excitement of delivery).

First impressions:
The chap I spoke to when I got there was friendly, but seemed distant at the same time (hard to explain). He listed the original issues and I then asked him if they could look at the other two things I noticed also. His first reaction was a straight "no, you'll need to book another appointment for that" - although this was frustrating and his instant "no" nearly got me going, I took a deep breath and looked at it from their perspective, i.e. thats fine, I will if I need to.
I then took him to the car to show him the issues along with the two extra ones and he then realised that it wouldn't make sense to book a separate appointment if they can deal with it all in one go (win!).

The Technicals:
I then went out with one of the technicians, who was head and shoulders above the first chap in terms of customer-focus. I explained everything to him (repeating myself - what was the point in the first chap?) and he was attentive to everything and told me he would look at each issue.
We then took the car out to hear the creak. Lo and behold the machine decided to turn shy and not make a sound o_O However, the technician sympathised and said he would still look into it as a precaution - he didn't want to not check it and then it happen after I left the place, and then me go back again (see what I mean by good service?).

The Loaner:
With the issues listed it was going to take them a day to get through it all so I asked for a loaner when I initially booked the appointment.
I got a 2015 S 85 (nose cone included) - what a step down that is from my M3P+! I get that technology has moved on and the M3 is the leading edge at the moment. I have driven a more recent MS (100D if i remember correctly) and this one felt really old :confused:
I got into the car and the windscreen was misty - or so I thought! It was actually soaking in condensation INSIDE! I should have gone back into the centre and asked for a rag or a replacement but I was running late for a meeting so had to dig out a tissue from my laptop bag and make do (The tissue was so wet that I could squeeze it and it would trickle water :confused:)

Really grateful for my car and what it can do - made me even more impressed after driving this thing. The acceleration in mine is even more impressive than I first appreciated.

Outcome:
I got a call from the SC earlier this afternoon to say they have resolved all of the issues with the exception of the windscreen as they couldn't fathom how it had appeared and, as it is between the laminate layers, it will need replacing. They don't currently have any in stock so an order will be placed and they will call me back in once it arrives.
I will be picking my machine up tomorrow morning.

Overall:
Pleased with the outcomes but I will hold off making a final verdict until I have seen the fixes in person.

:)

Reactions: Durzel
I had my first visit to MK SC today

minor paint defect on left sil
Larger paint defect on front bumper
No frunk mat on delivery
Creaking drivers door panel (not on original appointment)

Staff were great, sorted all except the larger paint defect while I waited, and they are tackling the remaining defect next week with a loan car

overall very good service I thought

Reactions: Durzel and TM3PTN
Niggles were as follows:
  • Bumper on driver side misaligned
  • Excessive wind noise on passenger side front window
  • Creaking on driver side door on uneven roads

I think those issues are quite common. I've got all three too. The MK SC have had a go at better aligning the bumper, but it's still not right. I think I'm just going to live with it. It's not a deal breaker. I might have a go at doing it myself come the summer. The other two I fixed myself already:

- Wind noise - see Wind noise above 50mph - pass door area, is this the issue?

- Creaking - I put a small amount of silicone grease on the door rubbers where the window mates against it when closed.

Reactions: TM3PTN
I think those issues are quite common. I've got all three too. The MK SC have had a go at better aligning the bumper, but it's still not right. I think I'm just going to live with it. It's not a deal breaker. I might have a go at doing it myself come the summer. The other two I fixed myself already:

- Wind noise - see Wind noise above 50mph - pass door area, is this the issue?

- Creaking - I put a small amount of silicone grease on the door rubbers where the window mates against it when closed.

Yeah, none of them make me think "wow, I made a huge mistake", I hadn't even noticed the bumper until a friend pointed it out. But me having a perfectionist personality can't now unseen it o_O they have said it is fixed so hopefully all properly aligned now. The misalignment was then causing an issue near the headlight too, so it was two places that were affected.
Wind noise isn't something that annoyed me really - it was the passengers (I'm in the main seat in the cockpit :cool:), but thought i'd get it checked anyway. The creaking is annoying but isn't something that happens all of the time and it isn't loud - but I know it is there so it bugs me. It comes from lower down the door rather than near window height. But apparently they re-lubed the seal so it should be sorted now :)

The proof will be in the pudding tomorrow morning! Cant wait to have it back. This old S feels like how an ICE car now feels to me! I'm used to the "Pocket Rocket" that is my M3P+ !

One of my rear lights has moisture in it that doesnt clear (its worse than the usual bit of misting you get in the lights) and the first appointment I can get in Bristol SC is early December.
They all seem to be ridiculously busy. i think they're dealing with the issues from the cars that they have delivered over the past few months - it was always going to happen. It's just come as a bit of a tidal wave.
Hopefully you'll get a notification to say they can bring it forward.

Good luck :)

Ive had a couple of text messages, one of them said they expect to have the car for the morning and will take care fo the paint issues, this must be the ones i pointed out when i collected the car.

Wondering if ill get a loan car if they are having it for the morning..

Update!

So, I picked my machine up this morning (thank god - I appreciate it a whole lot more after driving that old S).

Collection experience:
Non-existent.
I got there and told them I was here to pick my car up. A lady then asked if I knew where my car was - no ma'am, it's your job to know the whereabouts of my car whilst it is in your possession :confused: I said I didn't know so the went to get it and brought it to the front. She then came into the centre and handed me my key card and said it was good to go.

I didn't get any walk around to explain what they had done, and to ensure I was happy with the outcomes.
I was told over the phone yesterday that the windscreen issue hasn't been fixed as they need to order a new windscreen. This again wasn't mentioned when I picked it up - I had to ask myself in order to get any reaction. Doesn't fill me with confidence and I have a funny feeling I will need to contact them again to chase this up.

Overall:
They seem to have fixed the bumper - not perfect but better than before.
It seems that the door has been fixed but I haven't yet taken it on uneven roads.
The passenger door wind noise will be tested the next time i'm on the motorway.
Mudguard on driver's side looks perfect. They basically drilled another screw into it o_O seems to have solved it so not complaining!

Not massively impressed with customer service but my issues have been sorted in the main so...onwards and upwards :)

Update!

It seems that the [creaking] door has been fixed but I haven't yet taken it on uneven roads.

Is your creaking drivers door fixed?

My drivers door creaks but only when its cold. It sounds like the creak is coming from a loose panel at the RHS of the dash and is driving me a bit potty, does anybody who has had this resolved at the SC have a proper diagnosis and cure?

Is your creaking drivers door fixed?

My drivers door creaks but only when its cold. It sounds like the creak is coming from a loose panel at the RHS of the dash and is driving me a bit potty, does anybody who has had this resolved at the SC have a proper diagnosis and cure?
Seems like it! I haven't noticed it - even in this single-digit weather :)