Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Service call...Dashcam/USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put up with this for a couple days. Dashcam just isn't recording all the time and when I remember to check I have error messages telling me:

USB "stick" not inserted
Use a USB greater than 32gb - it is 128gb installed by Tesla picked up 2 weeks ago
And then this error....
Re-Insert USB into glovebox for higher speed

Any thoughts or has anyone experienced this?

IMG_7458.JPG

I have seen a few threads here about that (and experienced it myself with my wifes model Y). I swapped out the provided USB because I was going to do that anyway, and put in the same combo I have in my model 3, which is a samsung endurance microSD card and usb adapter.

No errors in her car since I did that.

I figure its a firmware issue and they will iron it out at some point but in the short term I would suggest you re format it using the car interface and try again. The service center is likely to tell you:

"Oh yeah we have seen / heard about that, it should be fixed in the next firmware update, if not, put in another service request and we will give you a new USB at that time".

Or

"Oh yeah we have seen that, here is a replacement USB" (the thread I remember reading about this here had someone say that the SC told them its because the USB had a "virus" but I am chalking that up to "telephone game".

Reactions: android04
I have seen a few threads here about that (and experienced it myself with my wifes model Y). I swapped out the provided USB because I was going to do that anyway, and put in the same combo I have in my model 3, which is a samsung endurance microSD card and usb adapter.

No errors in her car since I did that.

I figure its a firmware issue and they will iron it out at some point but in the short term I would suggest you re format it using the car interface and try again. The service center is likely to tell you:

"Oh yeah we have seen / heard about that, it should be fixed in the next firmware update, if not, put in another service request and we will give you a new USB at that time".

Or

"Oh yeah we have seen that, here is a replacement USB" (the thread I remember reading about this here had someone say that the SC told them its because the USB had a "virus" but I am chalking that up to "telephone game".

Ah ok...Thanks.
I have reformatted it twice...no luck. I was driving around thinking it was working b/c I didn't pay attention. I'll let them have a look.
I was surprised that I got an appointment as quick as I did. Coming to my work Wednesday 830a-1230p. We shall see!

I have the same error about reinserting for higher speed, I have had a Samsung t7 SSD installed ever since picking up the model Y in January. I think this error started with the latest Tesla update 2022.8.2, but as far as I know dashcam and sentry have still been working. How much "recent" dashcam is saved? Mine currently autosaves the last 20 minutes, but I heard it should be the last 60 min?

I have the same error about reinserting for higher speed, I have had a Samsung t7 SSD installed ever since picking up the model Y in January. I think this error started with the latest Tesla update 2022.8.2, but as far as I know dashcam and sentry have still been working. How much "recent" dashcam is saved? Mine currently autosaves the last 20 minutes, but I heard it should be the last 60 min?

Just got a message from Service that they bumped out my appointment to April 4. They are looking at "logs" pulled from the car and said "in hopes of fixing this issue over the air and actual service visit might not be needed".

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
The dashcam saves the last 60 minutes of footage, but if you explicitly save footage it keeps the last minutes in the SavedClips folder. Similarly, a Sentry Mode event saves the last 10 minutes in the SentryClips folder. The saved Sentry clips are moved, not copied, from the RecentClips folder. I don’t recall if manually saved clips work the same way.

I have switched over from Samsung usb stick (that is the same that Tesla rebranded) to an adapter plus SD. No difference: I am still getting moments where dashcam doesn't show the video from the last 60 mins yet I see sentry events video from that day. Dashcam is a great idea suffering from a poor implementation.

Reactions: BMWM3Man