Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
first update, re: first issue bluetooth disconnection every 10 seconds:

"Hi xx, our technicians have reviewed your vehicle logs and diagnosed the issue. This is due to a known firmware bug and has no permanent solution until a firmware update is released in the near future. We have provided a list of temporary fixes in the meanwhile, which you can review once the vehicle is complete and the invoice has been emailed to you!"

o_O

my phone is working without issues on my loaner though. great.

Bummer. On the bright side, they didn't say they couldn't reproduce the issue or that was "within spec" :p Hopefully they push a firmware update soon

835641EE-4A81-4A1E-BCF8-A46BDF35EA5F.jpeg
Pic: MS 75 loaner in Gila Bend.

Our Model X went in for service for its 12,500 mile checkup and to repair a broken rear package shelf bracket.. The one day planned service extended into five days. due to parts availability. I asked to be switched from an Enterprise ICE SUV loaner to a Model S after the first day and the Service Advisor quickly obliged. I received a black MS 75 and was scheduled to fly to Tucson for a quick business trip but decided to drive the nice loaner MS instead. I put 1400 miles on the loaner and loved every minute of the rountrip San Diego-Tucson drive; I always learn something new about the software/behavior from these long drives. My only complaint about the Enterprise Tesla loaner is that it doesn't come equipped with Enhanced Autopilot(EAP) so there is no autosteer or traffic aware cruise control (TACC). TACC should be standard for safety; jumping back into a standard (constant speed) cruise control Tesla can be dangerous if you are used to TACC/EAP. My opinion is that Tesla should activate EAP in all their loaners and optionally turn it off when the loaner is eventually sold or taken out of service. Loved the loaner Model S nonetheless and told the service advisor it made the repair delay tolerable and worthwhile.

Last edited:
Just curious , what is your “leisure” car?

we've had our MB ML350 for 5 years, bought it when I had my first kid. Since then it has been reliable as sh*t. Never had a creak or rattle. built sturdy as a rock (in alabama). Feels luxurious and comfortable inside. Taken it on at least ten or twleve road trips without a hiccup. Plenty of space for 4 and cargo. Daily driven to both kids' schools and wife's work every day and our family car on the weekends. No warranty issues in five years.

Since I got a new PV system and had extra energy, the MX was intended as an eventual replacement to cut gas costs and to have 7 seats for grandparents. After driving it though, it seems more like a beta test tech toy than a reliable vehicle. Yes, it is fun to hit the gas and open some falcon doors. I am not denying that. Ultra white seats? There's something to one up the joneses next door. But can I rely on it for the next 5-7 years with my family? It's already in the shop (advisor says a week) within the first week and a half of ownership with so many issues. I saw two teslas on flatbeds in my community today. What the heck what is going on with quality control in this company.

I'll be honest, I am sort of regretting the purchase, not because the car is not fun (i have my leisure car for that), but it is a reliable daily family shuttler/grocery go getter without having to be towed or having to spend hours/days at the service center over the next few years. I'm not so sure of that right now. They don't even have loaner vehicles most of the time, SC is so busy. (advisor says you have to get there 8AM otherwise you won't be getting one.) Tough to be without the kid shuttler while Tesla figures out why my passenger door is grinding.

But I already bought it, so I honestly hope that the company can change my mind with good service, quick fixes and a reliable vehicle, but after two months dealing with Tesla quirks from order to ownership, I'm not holding my breath. :(
Ah

got an update from service today: 'your vehicle is currently staged to enter the repair lane. as soon as your vehicle's repairs start we will update you.'

i dropped off the car 8 days ago. glad to see they are being efficient.
Probably a stupid question, but did you need to drop your car off right away? Is there a way to keep your car until they're ready to begin repairs immediately? It sounds awful that it sits there for so long.

Reactions: Anzir
Yeah, I’m not sure how things are run in SoCal, but in So. Florida we have something called “an appointment”. Comes in handy...

i had an appointment. 7/9 at 1:15pm. i made it when i picked up my car 6/27 and i first noticed these problems. it was the first available.

yes, appointments here are 2 weeks out. as of today 7/17, currently first available appt is 8/1.

yes even if you have an appointment they are busy so it takes time for them to get to your car.

yes, even if you have an appointment there is no guarantee of a loaner.

on the bright side, they texted me late this afternoon that my car is done. i will pick it up tomorrow. we'll see what is fixed. there are about 5 or 6 issues or so.

Reactions: Anzir
Apparently, they need to get the SC situation out there fixed.

I'm in the suburbs of Chicago, had an appointment to fix a minor scratch that was present on delivery (model X) at the Westmont service center. Pulled right up and was out the door with a S loaner within 5 minutes at the most. Keep in mind, there were other owners experiencing similar speed of service too. I believe there were 5 or 6 in front of me. So it was not completely dead.

This was a Thursday. They told me the body shop would probably need the car until Monday or Tuesday. I received a call on Friday evening saying it was ready, and to come in at my leisure to pick it up. I went in Saturday morning, picked it up. So it was done earlier than they said, the scratch was fixed, the interior was cleaned and vacuumed, looking like the day it was delivered.

I have zero complaints.

It should be more like this for you all.

so the saga continues.

i go to the SC to pick up my car, and 2 of 5 issues weren't addressed at all. 1 of 5 still broken with no fix.

1. misaligned door trim. according to the service sheet it was adjusted, but on examination of the car they didn't touch it at all. apparently they adjusted a different part of the door trim and didn't know that it was upper part that was off. oops. :mad:
2. constantly disconnecting bluetooth. still present. phone disconnects every 10 seconds and then reconnects. they state it's a 'known firmware bug.' doesn't happen with my loaner which is a 2018 with MCU2. same hardware and software. seems to work fine for other people. they have no answer, 'it's just a bug.' *sigh.*
3. left dash rattle. somehow this didn't get written down and was not addressed.
4. creaking 2nd row bench seat. appears improved. i wasn't able to replicate it while stationary, but didn't get to drive it.
5. creaking and front passenger grinding door: drive unit replaced, appears to be fixed.

so they are keeping the car again, to look at the rattle and fix the door trim. NOW they say the trim needs a body shop to fix. at delivery, they said 'oh it needs a new part so we'll order it and schedule service.' (part was not ordered and service had no idea). at service drop off, they said 'oh it just needs an adjustment no new parts needed we'll do it here' and now they say 'oh it needs a body shop.' there's no consistency here. wtf. :confused:

so anyway we are on 10 days and counting at the SC. in 22 days of ownership i have only actually had possession of the car for 12 days. nice.

oh, and as a bonus, the key is all chipped up and scratched all over. looks like someone dropped it on the asphalt or something. there are pieces of the black stuff that are chipped off and missing from the key. they said 'oh it's wear and tear.' i only had the car for less than 2 wks. *sigh* :rolleyes:

• Helpful
Reactions: GayForEllon
so the saga continues.

i go to the SC to pick up my car, and 2 of 5 issues weren't addressed at all. 1 of 5 still broken with no fix.

1. misaligned door trim. according to the service sheet it was adjusted, but on examination of the car they didn't touch it at all. apparently they adjusted a different part of the door trim and didn't know that it was upper part that was off. oops. :mad:
2. constantly disconnecting bluetooth. still present. phone disconnects every 10 seconds and then reconnects. they state it's a 'known firmware bug.' doesn't happen with my loaner which is a 2018 with MCU2. same hardware and software. seems to work fine for other people. they have no answer, 'it's just a bug.' *sigh.*
3. left dash rattle. somehow this didn't get written down and was not addressed.
4. creaking 2nd row bench seat. appears improved. i wasn't able to replicate it while stationary, but didn't get to drive it.
5. creaking and front passenger grinding door: drive unit replaced, appears to be fixed.

so they are keeping the car again, to look at the rattle and fix the door trim. NOW they say the trim needs a body shop to fix. at delivery, they said 'oh it needs a new part so we'll order it and schedule service.' (part was not ordered and service had no idea). at service drop off, they said 'oh it just needs an adjustment no new parts needed we'll do it here' and now they say 'oh it needs a body shop.' there's no consistency here. wtf. :confused:

so anyway we are on 10 days and counting at the SC. in 22 days of ownership i have only actually had possession of the car for 12 days. nice.

oh, and as a bonus, the key is all chipped up and scratched all over. looks like someone dropped it on the asphalt or something. there are pieces of the black stuff that are chipped off and missing from the key. they said 'oh it's wear and tear.' i only had the car for less than 2 wks. *sigh* :rolleyes:

How do cars keep getting through QC? In the recent discussion about eliminating the brake & roll test, Tesla reassured everyone that they do extensive QC testing including
driving every car on a test track. Do they blast the radio on full volume during the testing? Do they climb in through the windows? I don't get it.

@Barklikeadog let me ask @GayForEllon he has good info on that subject

Thanks! As I mentioned previously, my MX had a few parts missing (and I don't mean trim). Parts that made for a significant safety hazard.

I wonder what it would look like if their team tried to put together anything from IKEA. Loads of parts "left over"? Like when Homer put together that grill?

Things need to slow down over at Tesla or they need to plus up their staffing. Starting to look out of control here...

so the saga continues.

First off, I'm sorry you're going through all this Dethman... I'm taking delivery in the next few weeks and this genuinely makes me nervous...

I don't know if you're a fan of irony, but for as much as this car has been in the SC, you could have waited on your original order and probably had the car the same amount of time... :(

• Informative
Reactions: GayForEllon