Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First SF-Tahoe trip in P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to try to confirm this with Tesla, but the information from this image makes some sense, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Zero Mile protection differs by model type.

Saving 9kWh for bricking and zero mile seems quite excessive to me, but going with that for a second, that would mean that the rated miles are based off of 76kWh instead of 85kWh. Bighorn suggested this is 74kWh for a P, so maybe the performance version needs a little bit of extra reserve. Using 74kWh as the capacity for rated miles with 242 being the max, would result in a rated mile baseline of ~306Wh/m. So the numbers I derived from Marc's trip would be:

- SF to Roseville: 400Wh/m
- Roseville to SugarBowl: 628Wh/m
- SugarBowl to Roseville: 176Wh/m
- Roseville to SF: 383Wh/m
- Total: 396Wh/m

This is closer to what I have been getting with my D which has also been averaging around 395Wh/m or so, so this actually makes more sense. It still means that the effective range of a fully charged battery with these efficiency calculations would be 187miles. To get to the 275 miles of charge at 65mph originally claimed for the D, we'd need to average 269Wh/m on the freeway.

My only comparison to this so far was driving home from the factory - I was at a flat/consistent 350Wh/m @ 65 on 880 and 237 which are both pretty flat.

I think this is the chart you're referring to:

View attachment 66802

I'm not sure what "zero-mile" protection means but it looks like at least 75.9 of the 85 kWh are available if charged to 100%.
If the "zero-mile" portion is also made available for emergencies, that's a full 81.1 kWh. Not bad.

Thanks, Marc--that's it. I don't agree with the numbers exactly as the 8.5kWh Range Charge figure should be closer to 7.5 because it's 10% of what's available for rated range. I saw a photo of the dash from a 2012 car showing over 80kWh used "Since last charge", so the firmware originally did not hold anything in reserve for driving "beyond zero" ie zero mile protection.