Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First significant problem with LR AWD after 2 years and 28k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife drove about 15 miles to her destination today and everything was fine with the car working normally. When she got in the car to head home, it displayed the following messages in order as soon as she put the car in reverse to pull out of the parking spot.

Power Reduced - Front motor temporarily disabled
Vehicle Hold feature unavailable - Keep brake pedal pressed while stopped
Traction control disabled - Drive with caution
Stability control disabled - Drive with caution
Regenerative braking disabled - Proceed with caution
Automatic Emergency Braking is disabled

She tried to drive the car but it lurched and heaved, and wouldn't go more than a few miles per hour. She never got out of the parking lot. I had her try powering the car off, sitting there for a few minutes, then trying to drive it again, and got the same results. Then she tried just walking away from the car for a few minutes so that it would lock and turn off. It gave all the same messages and driving response when she tried it again. When I got there, I repeated the off and on and tried the two button reset on the computer, but the results were the same.

I'm curious if anyone has run into this set of circumstances and what the possible causes are. The car is already on the flatbed getting hauled up to the Tesla service center, but it would be nice to know what the problem might be. Other than some cosmetic items when the car was new, this is the first time we've needed service.

I encountered the same thing last week, the car said to get out of the car then back in, thankfully all the errors went away. Problem has not reoccured. Booked an appointment for the 20th.

Attachments

• 20201102_194852.jpg
    20201102_194852.jpg
    933.1 KB · Views: 267
It turned out to be what Tesla called rodent damage. We actually think it may have been a squirrel based on where the car stopped running. I've never had rodent damage to any car over the last 40+ years of car ownership. Do Teslas have particularly tasty wiring? :) They repaired the wiring harness near the front drive unit. It cost $232.50. They initially thought they were going to have to replace the harness, but then decided to repair it.

Here's a picture.
111020TeslaRodentDamage.jpg

Last edited:
It turned out to be what Tesla called rodent damage. We actually think it may have been a squirrel based on where the car stopped running. I've never had rodent damage to any car over the last 40+ years of car ownership. Do Teslas have particularly tasty wiring? :) They repaired the wiring harness near the front drive unit. It cost $232.50. They initially thought they were going to have to replace the harness, but then decided to repair it.

Here's a picture.
View attachment 607855
The exact thing happened to my wife's new Subaru when a rat chewed into a cable. It also was not covered under warranty. The problem appears to derive from the use of soy based plasticizers in the covering plastic. Rodents for some reason love the stuff.

Anyone have any advice for those of us living in squirrel country? We're planning to put up a carport just to keep the squirrel poop off, but have been worried about possible damage. Haven't had it in the past, but we've got some nasty ones here, and any helpful hints would be appreciated.

Not looking forward to this happening to me. My other cars have had similar/different issues with birds/squirrels/mice intrusions.

Tesla has eliminated one issue I had, there's no carburetor for the creatures to nest in! I've very successfully put mouse traps in my other car, but that only handles the buggers that get inside and chew on the air filter and seat cushions. The rest of the car I think they see as a smorgasbord on wheels.

Any ideas?