Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen various threads of how the Y will do in the snow.
Today I got my first experience with it.
AWD, 19" Gemini wheels.
Stock tires, Continental ProContact RX (I believe) rated 400 A A

Overall, it was fine.
The roads were mostly slushy with back roads having more chance to pile up.
The car felt solid and handled very nicely.
After I accelerated and then backed off the accelerator to let the regen kick in, a very brief, very slight shimmy in the rear.
TACC and AutoSteer appeared to work fine, although I didn't leave it in Autosteer for much of the trip.
Mostly because this is the first snow of the season, I don't trust other drivers.
Usually we hear of plenty of accidents for the first storm or two until people finally realize to slow down.

What I did notice was pulling into the garage was all of the proximity sensors were not functioning.
Took 2 pictures to show the build up.

2020 10 30 snow (1).JPG

2020 10 30 snow (2).JPG

I also noticed that my average Wh/Mi went from 210 to about 295. I did turn on the cabin heat about 15 minutes before starting, mainly to warm up the batteries and reduce any regen limitations. The car was plugged in, while that was happening. While driving, Same cabin temp, seats heated at level 1 (of 3), plus had to turn on front defroster.

We got a good round of snow last week in Denver. As it would happen, that same morning was also the day when the MY was due to the detail shop to get the clear and tint done. The MY long range handled just fine on snow and ice packed roads, and we found the traction control to be quite impressive. Previously my wife had a honda civic with standard all-seasons for the last 8 colorado winters, so she is used to not running snow tires, so the jury is still out on if snow tires will be needed. This is not our winter mountain vehicle, so I will probably hold off on snow tires for this season.

BTW, does anyone have a diagram of where the sensors are in the MY?
Assume you mean the cameras, radar, and park distance sensors.

The cameras are easy to find: behind rearview mirror (3 cameras), side cameras (2, under side view mirrors), b-pillar cameras (2, one on each side), rear view camera (right above license plate).

As for the park distance sensors, the owners manual shows the locations on the front and rear bumpers.

For radar, it's a small square in the center of the front bumper.

Screenshot from owner's manual:
Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 12.27.29 PM.png

Reactions: HeyEph
Reactions: HeyEph
Assume you mean the cameras, radar, and park distance sensors.

The cameras are easy to find: behind rearview mirror (3 cameras), side cameras (2, under side view mirrors), b-pillar cameras (2, one on each side), rear view camera (right above license plate).

As for the park distance sensors, the owners manual shows the locations on the front and rear bumpers.

For radar, it's a small square in the center of the front bumper.

Screenshot from owner's manual:
View attachment 604471

Interesting that #6 is where the radar is, and now I wonder if the registration plate bracket is mounted on the center of the front bumper where it’s supposed to go, does it affect the radar? I would HOPE NOT?!?

Interesting that #6 is where the radar is, and now I wonder if the registration plate bracket is mounted on the center of the front bumper where it’s supposed to go, does it affect the radar? I would HOPE NOT?!?
It doesn’t since AP works!

I’m betting it’s mounted above the license plate. Besides, Sandy Munro said the radar can penetrate everything except mud in one of his MY tear down vids where he shows the radar unit (it’s a lot smaller than I expected).

• Informative
Reactions: NASASpaceXlove
Watched the video. It was interesting. However, it didn't reflect real world conditions. As it was so cold, you'll notice that the front of the cars (and truck) were clear. No buildup. On the day I was driving, the temps were closer to freezing, so we had snow and slush and it was the splash back of the cars in front that coated the front of my car. Plus they were salting/sanding the roads which caused even more slush.

Well, I drove through some patches of wet snow last week Friday. Not snowing heavily, but it was wet snow. AP shut down, no TACC either. Pulled over to wipe the front bumper off, it was fine from there on out, but the snow was ending at that point. This is the third time I’ve had this happen since I took delivery in March. I do have xpel ppf on the front bumper, but no other coatings.

Kinda sucks, since my last two Volvo’s had the radar behind the windshield in the Intellisafe box with the forward looking camera, so weather never was an issue. My 16 V60 had the radar mounted right on the grill, and that was always an issue with certain winter conditions.

So, what’s the best option for a coating on the front bumper?

Well, I drove through some patches of wet snow last week Friday. Not snowing heavily, but it was wet snow. AP shut down, no TACC either. Pulled over to wipe the front bumper off, it was fine from there on out, but the snow was ending at that point. This is the third time I’ve had this happen since I took delivery in March.

These weather transitions are part of the reason why Tesla should have dumb cruise control available.

Reactions: HarleyW
Not to sound too judgemental, but if there is inclement weather (especially snow) the driver should take control. I get it you want to drive the future today, but the system isn't meant to be used then. It needs to see road lines, which are covered by snow and frankly, the number of variables, is better suited for a human driver.