Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Winter driving reminder! Disable regen if the roads are slippery. If regen is activated, the vehicle will start to slide as you attempt to slow down. Similar to driving a manual transmission in the slippery conditions. Hold in the clutch or shift in to neutral and pump the brakes slowly. Automatic transmission, shift into "N". Remember those days?

Winter driving reminder! Disable regen if the roads are slippery. If regen is activated, the vehicle will start to slide as you attempt to slow down. Similar to driving a manual transmission in the slippery conditions. Hold in the clutch or shift in to neutral and pump the brakes slowly. Automatic transmission, shift into "N". Remember those days?

From reports...all new Model Y's don't have the option to disable Regen.

Reactions: rxlawdude
What? No one shifts to neutral and applies the brakes. You only put in the clutch to prevent stalling when stopping. I’ve driven stick for 19 years.

You also do not pump the brakes when a car has ABS.

The transmission is unrelated to ABS and your brakes. You need to give yourself adequate stopping distance, apply small measured inputs to the brake pedal to prevent lock up and sliding. Also, winter tires make a huge difference.

Reducing regen would only be necessary if the driver is unable to adequately modulate their right foot enough to prevent abrupt weight distribution changes from lifting off the accelerator pedal.

As stated, that feature is gone for 2021. Just learn to drive the car.

Not to sound too judgemental, but if there is inclement weather (especially snow) the driver should take control. I get it you want to drive the future today, but the system isn't meant to be used then. It needs to see road lines, which are covered by snow and frankly, the number of variables, is better suited for a human driver.

Yes and no. I remember driving my V60 in a straight up whiteout with adaptive cruise on. There was a car in front of me, and it helped a ton in keeping my bearings. Mind, I always have snow tires on all four corners, so I know how the car will handle in sketchy situations.

*edit: I wouldn’t use AutoSteer in situations like this, but I think radar cruise might help.

Yes and no. I remember driving my V60 in a straight up whiteout with adaptive cruise on. There was a car in front of me, and it helped a ton in keeping my bearings. Mind, I always have snow tires on all four corners, so I know how the car will handle in sketchy situations.

*edit: I wouldn’t use AutoSteer in situations like this, but I think radar cruise might help.
Isn't adaptive cruise control based on your car locking onto a lead car? So it is not based on looking at road lines. That is a lot easier.