Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did my first software update last night (yay!) and made the mistake of sitting in the car for some of it and hearing the variety of sounds which were a bit unnerving. I’m guessing all is normal, but what is the pretty loud “clank” you can hear multiple times throughout the update coming from the front? Is it the battery connectors opening and shutting?

Ya it's disconnecting different things throughout the process. Completely normal.

While on the topic of loud noises, you'll hear the floorpan make weird bangs and clanks while driving. More common when changing temps (like supercharging in the cold) and changing elevations. When I drove up Pikes Peak, the temp dropped and elevation changed a lot. A couple loud bangs, almost like running over something big. Completely normal. More common on older Model 3s but still happens on the newer ones, just less often.

Reactions: kx2top
Did my first software update last night (yay!)
Nearly every time we do an update, our bluetooth connectivity to our phones dies. The only 100% solution is to restart the car by holding the scroll wheels in and the brake at the same time for 10+secs. ... and don't do it while sitting at a red light, sometimes the reboot takes a minute or two. How do I know this? My wife called me frantic that our Tesla was dead and won't come back on. She tried to reboot it at a traffic light while waiting for it to turn green because her bluetooth connectivity to her phone was disconnected though the security key connected and let her in the car and drive away.

Nearly every time we do an update, our bluetooth connectivity to our phones dies. The only 100% solution is to restart the car by holding the scroll wheels in and the brake at the same time for 10+secs. ... and don't do it while sitting at a red light, sometimes the reboot takes a minute or two. How do I know this? My wife called me frantic that our Tesla was dead and won't come back on. She tried to reboot it at a traffic light while waiting for it to turn green because her bluetooth connectivity to her phone was disconnected though the security key connected and let her in the car and drive away.
Ya never a good idea to do a software reset while at a traffic light. You can do a software update while driving, car will keep moving with the screen off. Not the best decision, but it is a way.

And you don't have to hold down the brake to do the restart. Just put and hold both of the steering wheel buttons for a few seconds

The break peddle is not used in a restaet
It is even in the manual

Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black. Pressing the brake pedal while holding down the scroll buttons does not have any impact and is not required

...restart the car by holding the scroll wheels in and the brake at the same time for 10+secs...
Putting your foot on the brake pedal while doing a Touchscreen Reset (the official name of the double thumbwheel reset) does nothing extra and is absolutely not required. It is an urban myth that seems to never go away.

So, there are three levels of "rebooting". The first two are in the NA Tesla Model 3 Manual.
  1. Restarting the Touchscreen - Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black. Despite what the manual says, can be done while driving. This is commonly referred to as a soft reset. ALSO, adding holding down of the brake pedal does NOTHING - it's a myth.
  2. Power Cycling the Vehicle - See manual for details - involves sitting in the car for a couple of minutes. I guess this one could be called a "medium reset."
  3. Tesla Model 3 Hard Reset - as described on the Mountain Pass Performance web site. Not for everyone.

Reactions: rpiotro
Putting your foot on the brake pedal while doing a Touchscreen Reset (the official name of the double thumbwheel reset) does nothing extra and is absolutely not required. It is an urban myth that seems to never go away.

So, there are three levels of "rebooting". The first two are in the NA Tesla Model 3 Manual.
  1. Restarting the Touchscreen - Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black. Despite what the manual says, can be done while driving. This is commonly referred to as a soft reset. ALSO, adding holding down of the brake pedal does NOTHING - it's a myth.
  2. Power Cycling the Vehicle - See manual for details - involves sitting in the car for a couple of minutes. I guess this one could be called a "medium reset."
  3. Tesla Model 3 Hard Reset - as described on the Mountain Pass Performance web site. Not for everyone.
Hey Kev,
Are there specific situations where the hard reset is needed?
And is there a way to do it on my 2015 MS 70D?

Hey Kev,
Are there specific situations where the hard reset is needed?
And is there a way to do it on my 2015 MS 70D?
I have only done it once a couple of years ago when I had some issue where it was suggested. But I apologize, I don't remember what specifically it was for.

Not sure how to do it on your MS - the MPP site only has the procedure for the M3.

So, basically, I am of no help to you - sorry!

Reactions: ChooseFreedom