TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First supercapacitor only tram set to open

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by RubberToe, Jun 18, 2014.

1. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

A 7.7 km long circular route in Guangzhou, China. 10 stops along the 7.7km route. And the claim is that the tram can go 4km per charge. The charge takes between 10 and 30 seconds. Very cool, wireless streetcars are on the way...

Guangzhou supercapacitor tram unveiled - Railway Gazette

2. Electric700

Electric700 Member

I think next generation supercapacitors could be the successor to batteries. Capacitors already last at least 25 years. Now if we could just get the energy density up to par or better than that of lithium-ion batteries.

I wonder how much energy they are transferring to the supercapacitors on board the tram within 10-30 seconds? It's probably at least 50 kW.

You may be interested to know there's already a car out by Mazda that uses a supercapacitor to recover energy. More here: Mazda introduces supercapacitor-type regenerative braking - SAE International