Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Supercharge for our Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We drove about 50 miles out of our way to try a Supercharger. Hooked up easy and charge started at 131KW and ended at 31KW. Took about 40 mins. to go from 120miles to 310miles. The charging cord was rather warm. Wish we had one near our home.

Does that sound correct that the KW decreases with length of charge? Probably due to heat I suspect.

M

IMG_4025 copy.jpg

Perfect supercharger performance. Last 10-20% goes pretty slow compared to the low and mid state of charge area. Most dont bother to top off unless it’s really needed for you trip. The cable does get pretty warm and you’ll notice your car uses the Freon cooling system to cool the battery during charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
Does that sound correct that the KW decreases with length of charge? Probably due to heat I suspect.
View attachment 535469

No, not due to cable heat. The vehicle's charger regulates KWs to safely charge battery. Unless you absolutely need the last 10% of charge, don't waste time to charge over 90%. Set charge limit to 85- 90% or equivalent miles if you are waiting in vehicle.

However, when delayed in a nearby restaurant set it to 100% to avoid idle fees. Learn the criteria for idle fee because several owners have been stung by it. If all stalls are occupied, be courteous and vacate the stall when reaching your necessary charge limit.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
Thanks for the information. I was talking about battery heat. Funny thing I have seen Superchargers a couple of times even before we owned a Tesla. Never seen anyone charging at one. I am taking it that when I purchased the MSP that cost of Supercharging is free but you can get charged fee as you described?

M

• Informative
Reactions: Jabbahop
Be careful relying on that DeFuniak Springs supercharger. I was there in March, and two of the five chargers were malfunctioning. It is an anomaly on the network. You will find that up and down the gulf coast, nearly all the charging stalls at the other chargers are working OK.

We drove about 50 miles out of our way to try a Supercharger. Hooked up easy and charge started at 131KW and ended at 31KW. Took about 40 mins. to go from 120miles to 310miles. The charging cord was rather warm. Wish we had one near our home.

M

View attachment 535469

Why did you charge that much at a supercharger? Did you need the 300+ miles of range to make it to the next supercharger? If you only charge enough to reach your next supercharger destination, then you'll spend a lot less time per mile of charge and a whole lot less time overall charging.

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy
We were at 120 miles left? Had 50 miles to drive back home. Not following you. Last time I looked at charging on the Tesla app it recommended to charge daily if less than 170 miles... and charge to 309 miles (90 %).

M

First, doesn't apply to supercharging. Never has.

Secondly, 90% ONLY if you need the 90%. If you can get away with charging to 70% your battery will last a lot longer.

First, doesn't apply to supercharging. Never has.

Secondly, 90% ONLY if you need the 90%. If you can get away with charging to 70% your battery will last a lot longer.

I was only trying out a supercharger. Probably never use again unless we take a trip. The vehicle decided on 90% and it knew it was on a supercharger. At home I run down to 160 miles and charge to 309 miles. Mined you I only have 600 miles on MSP.

M

I was only trying out a supercharger. Probably never use again unless we take a trip. The vehicle decided on 90% and it knew it was on a supercharger. At home I run down to 160 miles and charge to 309 miles. Mined you I only have 600 miles on MSP.

M

Sure. Try not to store your car at high SOCs. i.e. don't leave it sitting around at 90% if you can avoid it. Charge right before you leave and only charge enough to handle your daily driving needs.

• Informative
I sure that your advise is sound. I plan to buy new every 3 years or so or if something new comes along I just have to have...

Also this is what the manual says... See attachment. So I will follow the manual. Maybe the MSP is different?

M

View attachment 536436

Not mutually exclusive. Leaving it plugged in doesn't mean mean leave it charged at 90%. But if you're not going to use the scheduler don't leave it plugged in all the time with the slider set 90%.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I understand that the MSP decides how much charge is needed. It set the vehicle at 309 miles, I did not. It says to put back on charger and leave in when returning from driving. Not going to second guess "the most sophisticated battery systems in the world".

M

I hope you figure it out before you cause premature degradation which is not covered under warranty unless you lose 30% of your capacity.