TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

First Supercharge

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by chezedog, Oct 26, 2018.

1. chezedog

chezedog Member

IMG_1349.jpeg
    We're going to take our new Model 3 on a 1400 mile journey soon, and realized we've never used a Supercharger. So we gave it a whirl, just to learn how before the trip. Turns out it was a very simple procedure. People would pull up and ask questions about the process. Anyway, I think we're ready for the trip.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. Tslrsx

Tslrsx Member

It's indeed Very simple. Remember that there are paired chargers and enjoy your trip!

• Like x 2
  3. chezedog

chezedog Member

I didn't know that. I also didn't notice any "labels" indicating which pair I was using.
    From reading a few bits of info, I think it's like this:

1. First car in the pair is not affected by second car hooking up, but second car gets a slower charge.

2. The paired chargers are not always next to each other, and so y'gotta check the labels.

is that right?

• Like x 1
  4. Petrlol

Petrlol Member

I think the best rule I've read and I hope I'm correct... "Don't pick the same number as someone else". So if there is 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b - and someone is on 2b, you want to take a #1.

• Like x 1
  5. Helmuth

Helmuth Member

That’s correct!
    I guess you’re ready for your trip!

Despite some other stories: the first car is indeed NOT effected by the second car plugging in to a paired slot!
    And IF you have to plug in as a second car try to check if can can share it with a Tesla with a slow flashing green light at the charge port (means almost finished) or check with the owners who will leave soon...

Enjoy your upcoming trip! You will love it

• Disagree x 1
  6. chezedog

chezedog Member

It always pays to ask the experts. Thanks, everybody! :)

7. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Well, almost--close enough for practical purposes.
    No. That is false for you to state it so absolutely. The primary car can be slowed down a little in some cases by the secondary car plugging in, because there is a minimum power level it will always give to the secondary car.

A lot of the newer Supercharger installations are 145kW total power level, so the 30kW minimum for the secondary car isn't going to affect the primary much, but there are still a lot of the 120kW locations. So if primary car is really low, and plugs in, they normally would be able to get about 115kW unpaired. But if a secondary car plugs in a few seconds later, it will get 30kW, leaving only 90kW, so the primary car will get reduced a little bit. Now in practical purposes, a car would be tapering down to 90kW or less anyway, by about 30-ish % or something, so only about the first 5 minutes could be affected, so it's not a big deal. And it would only come up if someone plugged in right afterward during that few minutes, so odds are pretty rare that you would have a chance to see it, which is why a lot of people think it doesn't happen.

• Informative x 1
  8. Helmuth

Helmuth Member

Wasn’t aware of the 120kW Supercharger situation! Thanks for clarifying!
    But like you mentioned probably only in rare cases for interest...

And I’m still surprised how many (even first generation Model S owner) never heard about the sharing and paired Superchargers! Always happy if I can help them to use the location in the most efficient way.