Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Supercharger Experience Since Sept Update on our 2014 P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this "dog"/topic has been beat to death already...... didn't see it in a search.....!

The screen experience on our 2014 P85 was updated back in Sept along with everyone else. In Dec we did our first "road trip" since the update, just from Seattle to Portland. Stopped midway at Centralia Supercharger to top off and stretch legs. With this "new" screen it appears that charging is now displayed on both the dash and the center console screen. However.....the display on the center console screen looks squirrelly?? The center number (the MPH charging rate??) kept flickering and was not consistent with the kW info. Is this how everyone's screen looks now?? We moved to another charger at first thinking that it was the charger, but it occurred on other chargers in the lot on both stops (going down/coming back). It was pretty much useless. Do we need to call Tesla, or is this our new "normal?" Good thing our dash is still reflecting the correct info!

IMG_7784.jpgIMG_7783.jpg IMG_7784.jpgIMG_7783.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7782.jpg
    IMG_7782.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_7781.jpg
    IMG_7781.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 138
Ahhh....a KNOWN issue! Thanks for the tip Jan! I love this forum! Now that we're home and back to our "same ol'" charge-at-home-at-night routine, it's not really a concern. Will jot down for the next road trip though. Do you know of any (hopefully) permanent fixes coming for us "oldies"?

Reactions: 1375mlm
You are welcome.

You'll probably notice similar or other weird behavior of the charging screen even when charging at home. Like missing text, weird fonts, freezing MCU for 30-60 seconds and so on. Thats how Tesla thanks their "oldies".

Reactions: croman
You are welcome.

You'll probably notice similar or other weird behavior of the charging screen even when charging at home. Like missing text, weird fonts, freezing MCU for 30-60 seconds and so on. Thats how Tesla thanks their "oldies".

Has there been any discussion of a fix for us oldies? I have noticed this supercharger screen behavior as well as random words becoming illegible/scrambled.

My 2017 car had the issue with missing letters. At first it wasn't a big deal but eventually it got bad enough to make important information illegible. I rebooted while driving, which was a bit concerning to my husband who hadn't experienced that before. It hasn't happened since then.

My 2017 car had the issue with missing letters. At first it wasn't a big deal but eventually it got bad enough to make important information illegible. I rebooted while driving, which was a bit concerning to my husband who hadn't experienced that before. It hasn't happened since then.
I did the same with my 2014 car two days ago, to fix illegible text, first noticed on the charge screen. First time I've had to reboot the screen in months.

Never had that illegible text problem before -- I've been running V9 since it first came out.

Did anyone figure out why MCU with latest update V9.0 freeze in those occasions:

1. Leaving car in zones where LTE internet is week
2. Accessing car with key and phone app simultaneously.
3. Accessing Spotify and typing something in SEARCH, and when you click on any Album
4. Crossing country border where Spotify is not supported (from CROATIA to HUNGARY), MCU freeze while changing network
5. When try to open browser, it is blank whatever i try to open, any web site.

Anyone still notices the missing letters/numbers on MCU1 or this is supposed to be fixed by now?

I'm @2018.50.6 and continue to see the missing parts of texts, like reported by the OP. And, yes, the reboots fixes it for a day or two till the issue comes back again.

Anyone still notices the missing letters/numbers on MCU1 or this is supposed to be fixed by now?

I'm @2018.50.6 and continue to see the missing parts of texts, like reported by the OP. And, yes, the reboots fixes it for a day or two till the issue comes back again.
I've been seeing it again the last few days. First time in months. No idea why.

I'm also on 2018.50.6 and my replacement MCU1 is the newer LTE version.

I've been seeing it again the last few days. First time in months. No idea why.

I'm also on 2018.50.6 and my replacement MCU1 is the newer LTE version.

Thanks. My MCU1 is the original one (w/3G). In addition to the Charging app, I also notice the temperature meter at the bottom of the main screen goes blank also, i.e., instead of showing, let's say, 72F, it just shows white space till I reboot. Very frustrating.