Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Iceland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KarenRei

ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ
Jul 18, 2017
Iceland
The first Supercharger in Iceland arrived yesterday at the Tesla store/service centre at Krókháls 13 in Reykjavík:

EMOFUDzXUAABAgg.jpeg

Power has now been connected, and it's scheduled to open on Monday!

EMOEkp_XsAAyeDi.jpeg

(Image credits: Top: Sigurður Ástgeirson. Bottom: Emil Kári Ólafsson)

Google Maps

Appears to be V2. Anything special that needs to be done to get this to show up on supercharge.info?

Way sooner than I expected! And at a location not on their map. I imagine they're setting it up there to aid in deliveries. Bright sign for deliveries starting in Q1? :)

Last edited:
This appears to be the standard Tesla portable installation. These tend to be in locations that require a large temporary need, typically holiday/event locations that have major Tesla influx expected. This is the first I personally have heard about that has gone in a totally new location, although I'm sure there are some of those that do not become publicly discussed.

I speculate that Tesla want Supercharging available now, before they have time to install a permanent network. If that is a valid notion I suspect there will be some others also.

Obviously this is intended to keep Karen happy!

This appears to be the standard Tesla portable installation. These tend to be in locations that require a large temporary need, typically holiday/event locations that have major Tesla influx expected

There's were only a hundred or so Teslas in the whole country last I checked, so it doesn't make much sense for a "temporary holiday need". Which is why I assume it must be in anticipation of Q1 deliveries starting. I certainly hope so! :)

I speculate that Tesla want Supercharging available now, before they have time to install a permanent network. If that is a valid notion I suspect there will be some others also.

Note that the current location is not very useful for travel.
  • The Reykjavík area has over 70% of the country's population. So the vast majority of trips start and/or end in Reykjavík
  • The location is only adjacent to the Tesla store and some car dealerships. Nothing else to do there (I guess if you walked far enough you could get to a golf driving range ;) ). Restaurants are like a 20 minute walk away. The nearest residence is maybe 15 minutes walk away, so not good for serving local charging needs either.
Putting it there only really seems to make sense for deliveries.

• Informative
Reactions: gnavi and jbcarioca
The first Supercharger in Iceland arrived yesterday at the Tesla store/service centre at Krókháls 13 in Reykjavík:

View attachment 490554

Power has now been connected, and it's scheduled to open on Monday!

View attachment 490553

(Image credits: Top: Sigurður Ástgeirson. Bottom: Emil Kári Ólafsson)

Google Maps

Appears to be V2. Anything special that needs to be done to get this to show up on supercharge.info?

Way sooner than I expected! And at a location not on their map. I imagine they're setting it up there to aid in deliveries. Bright sign for deliveries starting in Q1? :)

O.k., let me walk you through the process.

- Visit supercharge.info
- On the top, click the "About" tab.
- Read to the 3rd sentence, which says "To contribute news regarding supercharger construction or updates create an account and visit the forum (forum.supercharge.info)."
- Do just that.
- Once your arrived at the forum, choose the section "Supercharger Updates" (it is subtitled Report new supercharger sites or updates to existing sites.", which is what we came here for in the first place!).
- Click "+ Add new topic
- Call it "First supercharger in Iceland"
- Link to your post here (copy the permalink in the top right corner of your TMC post) and paste into the "Type here..." field.
- When you´re done, click the "+ Create topic" button below the text field.
- Done! Wait until one of the editors reads your post and adds it to the database.

Can´t be so hard! Want me to do it for you ;)?!

Couldn´t miss that opportunity :D!

- Visit supercharge.info
- Read to the 3rd sentence, which says "To contribute news regarding supercharger construction or updates create an account and visit the forum (forum.supercharge.info)."
- Do just that.
- Once your arrived at the forum, choose the section "Supercharger Updates" (it is subtitled Report new supercharger sites or updates to existing sites.", which is what we came here for in the first place!).
- Click "+ Add new topic
- Link to your post here (copy the permalink in the top right corner of your TMC post) and paste into the "Type here..." field.
- Done! Wait until one of the editors reads your post and adds it to the database.

I did this before, in early September. I got "Account temporarily on hold", and my first post got stuck in an approval queue. I checked back regularly for two weeks; nothing ever happened.

I just checked again (before I read your post). Apparently they finally unlocked my account on 2 October. So I went ahead and posted a thread.

- Visit supercharge.info
- Do just that.
- Click "+ Add new topic

Or you could’ve done this: @MarcoRP , plain and simple :eek:

Supercharge Info has been updated.

As a side-note, the country of Iceland doesn’t appear on the countries list for Supercharge Info, (while Uzbekistan is on that list for whatever reason) so I have put the location as being in Ireland. I know, that’s not where it’s located, but think about it, The names are only 1 letter apart!

Last edited by a moderator:
This appears to be the standard Tesla portable installation. These tend to be in locations that require a large temporary need, typically holiday/event locations that have major Tesla influx expected. This is the first I personally have heard about that has gone in a totally new location, although I'm sure there are some of those that do not become publicly discussed.

Obviously this is intended to keep Karen happy!

Electricity is cheap and new vehicle PEV share is over 20% now, with BEV 11.4% in 2019Q3.
However, that was with a total market of 2544 new vehicles in 2019Q3.

There is an existing network of CCS chargers in a ring around the island.

Maybe they can get enough sales to warrant a Reykjavik Supercharger, and some outside, but I can't see them ringing the island.

Electricity is cheap and new vehicle PEV share is over 20% now, with BEV 11.4% in 2019Q3.
However, that was with a total market of 2544 new vehicles in 2019Q3.

There is an existing network of CCS chargers in a ring around the island.

Maybe they can get enough sales to warrant a Reykjavik Supercharger, and some outside, but I can't see them ringing the island.

2544 *without Tesla*, and with plenty of people waiting on Tesla. Tesla reservations have been going gangbusters here (overwhelmingly LR AWD - also, we reportedly have the highest per-capita rate of Cybertruck reservations on Earth).

Cheap electricity isn't the big incentive, nor the fact that we're right near the top of the list on most expensive gasoline, nor the fact that we have clean power and an environmentally-conscious populace, or that we're pretty high on the list of per-capita incomes, alongside relatively low income inequality. It's that we have Norway style incentives, and even more things on the horizon (such as potential congestion charges with EV exemptions).

The "existing network of CCS chargers" is awful. 50kW, poorly maintained, really expensive, generally a single charger per location.

Reykjavík is the place that needs superchargers the *least*. That's where you start and end your trips.

People are fully expecting Tesla to at least circle the Ring Road (which FYI really isn't enough, but it'll be a start). If they don't, sales will drop heavily after the initial burst.

The reason that PHEVs are 2x BEVs is because existing (non-Tesla) BEVs, and our existing CCS network, simply aren't up to the task of getting around the island. For that, we must have Teslas and a Supercharger network. Without high power road-trippable EVs and an appropriate charging network, we fail at our goals of banning new ICE sales by 2030.

(Also, re: PHEVs - as they get ready to renew our Norway-style VAT exemption (which should pass without problems), they're not going to renew it for PHEVs. So PHEV sales should crash a year from now).

Last edited:
Looks more like they built up soil or asphalt around it. Since it is more or less in the middle of the parking lot, they had to cover the electrical cables too. This is definitely not a permanent installation.
I guess I wasn't that clear. Look at the second picture in the thread, you can see the hole is already there. The pallet and people are standing in it. Then new surface was poured to bring it back up to level.

I guess I wasn't that clear. Look at the second picture in the thread, you can see the hole is already there. The pallet and people are standing in it. Then new surface was poured to bring it back up to level.
I see what you mean. However, the last picture in Post #12 still makes it look like there is a mound formed around the station. It could be a lighting illusion though.

This is a temporary supercharger pallet, however I suspect that it might be a fairly permanent installation. With such a small population, it's hard to justify the construction of a full supercharger. I suspect shipping one of these and hooking it up is much cheaper than constructing a full supercharger. I also suspect the primary purpose is for use of the service center, but since there are currently so few Teslas in the country, the demand for the supercharger should be low enough that they would happily allow owners to drive up and use it as well.

It should be noted that Puerto Rico just got a 2-stall temporary supercharger pallet as well. It's possible that this is a new strategy to get basic supercharger coverage in far-flung places with low Tesla population. There has been some precedent for this in the US. The original supercharger in Wausau, WI and one other in the Chicago area were 2-stall temporary pallet superchargers. Eventually they built larger permanent superchargers elsewhere in the same city and then decommissioned the pallet superchargers.

If they were to build out the network in Iceland, I would guess they would put about 8 superchargers total on the ring road around the country and at least at first, they would probably be something like this 2-stall temporary variety. Of course there are places that are not on the ring road, but I would suspect they would expect you to find destination chargers for those trips. Possibly way down the line, they might need to build up to full superchargers with more stalls, but they would need to have a huge market share in such a small country to justify the expense, something like 5-10% of all cars would have to be Teslas.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Hurray, it's a start. I agree that Reykjavik is the last place in Iceland that needs a SC. Are the 50kw DCFCs strewn around the ring road truly unreliable? I see no bad reports on PlugShare (though not everyone checks in on PlugShare). @KarenRei you once whimsically mentioned on some other forum the idea of starting a business to rent Model 3s; do you know if any of the car rental companies in Iceland plan to have Teslas? (My wife would love to rent the Cybertruck for a trip around Iceland :))

Reactions: VValleyEV and gnavi