Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Supercharger-Only Coast to Coast Road Trip in a Tesla Model S 60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Go Sam!

I didn't think a 60 could do it in winter, so I hope you prove everyone wrong!
Who will be the first to xcountry in a degraded 60? maybe all those range charges will bring those out-of-balance miles back. but that's another thread...

Go Sam!

I didn't think a 60 could do it in winter, so I hope you prove everyone wrong!
Who will be the first to xcountry in a degraded 60? maybe all those range charges will bring those out-of-balance miles back. but that's another thread...

I'm not counting any chickens (as they say) but so far so good. Looks like the only tough leg that's left is Macedonia to Somerset. But I'll just run a bit slower and draft and I really think it'll be fine. Hoping the weather cooperates. At least I'm unlikely to run into any rain like the $hit-show in Flagstaff.

I tried to get my walk hours per mile down lower but my right foot kept wanting to drive back so I ended up rolling into the supercharger in Rapid City with -1 mile that you can check it out on twitter picture of it it's pretty near disastrous.

WOW, you must have been having some fun. I'd be interested to know how you ended up cutting it that close. Closest I've been is rolling into Mt. Shasta with 1 mile from Corning, but I knew measured my speeding and rated miles accordingly so that I could at least drive the speed limit the last 20 or so miles up the hill.

But what I don't understand is that your destination was a net elevation loss so I'm assuming you either had a very heavy right foot or something else must have happened.

I'm not counting any chickens (as they say) but so far so good. Looks like the only tough leg that's left is Macedonia to Somerset. But I'll just run a bit slower and draft and I really think it'll be fine. Hoping the weather cooperates.

EVTripPlanner says that if you go 85% or 90% of the speed limit (I know it's hard), and the weather is not too horrific, you should make it. Good Luck!!! :cool:

EVTripPlanner says that if you go 85% or 90% of the speed limit (I know it's hard), and the weather is not too horrific, you should make it. Good Luck!!! :cool:

Interesting. EVTripPlanner should still give estimates for head wind / tail wind adjustments too? Wonder if the West -> East Supercharger route ultimately is lower Wh/m than the East -> West direction (I would assume so, given all other variables the same)

EVTripPlanner has a "sensitivity chart" that shows what happens with head/tail wind or if temperature is different than what you enter.
Also note that the default speed used (speed factor = 1) is based on Google's estimate of actual speed on the road at the time the route is planned.
You can also try the soon-to-be-released version at http://EVTripPlanner/planner/1-1 with Algorithm B that is slightly more accurate if you're in cold weather or at altitude.

EVTripPlanner has a "sensitivity chart" that shows what happens with head/tail wind or if temperature is different than what you enter.
Also note that the default speed used (speed factor = 1) is based on Google's estimate of actual speed on the road at the time the route is planned.
You can also try the soon-to-be-released version at http://EVTripPlanner/planner/1-1 with Algorithm B that is slightly more accurate if you're in cold weather or at altitude.

Link is dead :/

Was just missing the .com :D

Last edited:
Everyone is asleep but arrived in Worthington MN for a quick charge before heading off to Albert Lea, MN. IT's even colder @ 7F. On the computer at the Holiday Inn next door.

Wh/m jumped to over 400 on the last leg. I'm guessing that the colder temps, liberal use of heat and heavy right foot are contributing factors. Arrived with 4 miles of range remaining.

Supercharging currently at Hagerstown outlet malls. Have a few more minutes before I leave. I'll skip Bethesda supercharger, and head all the way to Glen Allen Virginia supercharger. That should be about 160 miles with a downward elevation change.