Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Taycan fire reported

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my stab at the odds of an ICE fire vs an EV fire.

1. Leaking Fuel System - ICE (1:0)
  2. Catalytic Converters - ICE (1:0)
  3. Poor Maintenance - ICE (1:0)
  4. Overheated Engine - ICE (1:0)
  5. Electrical Systems - TOSS UP (1:1)
  6. Accidents - ICE (11:1)
My analysis, based upon the best resources Google could find for me, say that ICE vehicles are MUCH more likely to go up in smoke when compared with an EV.

Again the average age of a vehicle can come into play and the average vehicle in the USA is over 11 years old.
The average EV age is much much lower.
We have not yet begun to see what effects age and neglect will have on their likelihood of fire, or the fires they contribute to with wiring problems in homes.

I am not saying EVs are a fire hazard.
I am saying you sycophants who want to cast ICE as rolling time bombs are just as intellectually dishonest as those who think EVs are rolling time bombs. Your need to vilify those who don't March lock step with your opinions is why you can't get others to see potential benefits.

One glaring omission I see in all the ICE vs. EV fire discussion is the average car in the USA is over 11 years old that is just average. We know nothing about the frequency that age, neglect, improper modifications or repairs etc. play in fires.

Yes there are cases of new ICE burning down in garages...........usually due to ELECTRICAL FLAWS.

The drive by the EV community to PRETEND liquid fueled vehicles are dangerous due to the liquid fuel undercuts your argument to reasonable people. About the same as algore jetting around the world to tell the rest of us to use less energy. It plays well to the sycophants but makes the reasonable people ignore you.

To the sycophants, I have to wonder if we see more EV fires as they too age and are neglected.
Like I said many ICE vehicle fires are electrical in nature anyway. Cheap materials, or worn insulation, dirty or loose connections getting hot, all those risks are possible in an EV.

Listen to many here though and you would believe gas tanks randomly blow up, they don't.

Again the average age of a vehicle can come into play and the average vehicle in the USA is over 11 years old.
The average EV age is much much lower.
We have not yet begun to see what effects age and neglect will have on their likelihood of fire, or the fires they contribute to with wiring problems in homes.

I am not saying EVs are a fire hazard.
I am saying you sycophants who want to cast ICE as rolling time bombs are just as intellectually dishonest as those who think EVs are rolling time bombs. Your need to vilify those who don't March lock step with your opinions is why you can't get others to see potential benefits.

I do believe someone learned a new word today.

I am saying you sycophants who want to cast ICE as rolling time bombs

You must read different forums than I do. I see ICE proponents spewing FUD about EVs all the time. Some of us are simply trying to point out the fallacies of their statements. I don't see any intellectual dishonesty on the part of EV fans and supporters. The statistics on fires speak for themselves.

Is see another so-called EV site (won't name it as it is clearly shameless clickbait) has published an article with several screenshots of this thread.

Talk about pathetic journalism.

Perhaps the site admin here ought to take a look if copyright has been infringed.

Is see another so-called EV site (won't name it as it is clearly shameless clickbait) has published an article with several screenshots of this thread.

Talk about pathetic journalism.

Perhaps the site admin here ought to take a look if copyright has been infringed.
That particular writer looks for anything he can to cast Tesla in a negative light.

Amazing how he could take a Taycan fire and twist into an attack on Tesla.

He doesn't seem to like EVs in general, and loathes Tesla specifically.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
“Christian Weiss, deputy director of corporate communications for Porsche, in a statement to CNBC ... said the incident is being investigated and Porsche is “ready to assist if called upon.”

They aren’t proactively investigating it themselves???

Do Taycans store onboard data logs which the company can interrogate?

i think the thing hanging over the car is the garage door opener bar, but not sure Not sure what’s at the far end.

the fire department probably pulled out the Sheetrock after extinguishing the fire to make sure no hidden hot spots.

To me it looks like the center garage door bar is still up there. Maybe even see the motor box and possibly light fixture but the video is kind of hard to see clearly at that point. Look around 0:06-0:07 near the ceiling and from what I think I see the two black cables are different from that.

I read the reddit thread last night but didn’t look for any updates on it. Kind of Interesting if the account got closed or pulled.

“Christian Weiss, deputy director of corporate communications for Porsche, in a statement to CNBC ... said the incident is being investigated and Porsche is “ready to assist if called upon.”

They aren’t proactively investigating it themselves???
Come on. This was obviously a defective garage. Don’t leave your garage near your home until investigation complete

Teslarati is reporting that Porsche is switching over to an "enhanced" battery pack in new Taycans that are being delivered. Not clear whether the change is hardware or software related. Quote: "The improved battery will optimize the electric car’s energy consumption and improve its range."

Going to be interesting to see how current owners respond if the 201 mile range gets a significant boost, and they are left holding the bag on a car that has less range. The anecdotal reports are that the 201 mile range is easily exceeded, but if thats really the case, why roll out an update with improved range?

It also seems pretty coincidental that this rollout may be happening shortly after one of the vehicles was involved in a fire.

Porsche Taycan reportedly getting enhanced battery pack to improve range

Reactions: X Fan
To me it looks like the center garage door bar is still up there. Maybe even see the motor box and possibly light fixture but the video is kind of hard to see clearly at that point. Look around 0:06-0:07 near the ceiling and from what I think I see the two black cables are different from that.

I read the reddit thread last night but didn’t look for any updates on it. Kind of Interesting if the account got closed or pulled.

So hard to tell with the quality of the video and the artifacts. To me, the black thing hanging down above the car has a “bump” up in it. Not hanging like a cable would if suspended from both ends.

The other thing hung on the ceiling maybe the garage door track.

Glad everyone was ok! Hope the issue is identified and resolved quickly. Could be caused by anything, even not related to the car.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
It's been 10 days since the fire. :rolleyes:

Any electrical fire investigators hanging around here care to opine on whether 10 days is enough time for the fire department or whomever to figure out if the wire gauge installed in the run to the charger was adequate or if "something else" might be the source of the garage fire?

Maybe the fire investigators get paid by the hour? :p

RT

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Hmmm, I wonder what the actual ratios are?

ICE: total # of vehs. on road vs # of fires

TESLA: “ “ “ “ etc.

TAYCAN: “ “ “ “ etc.

For example, how many Taycans have been delivered so far, and is this their first (or only) fire?

Again, knowing the ratio won't matter as we do know the average vehicle in the USA is over 11 years old and we know most are ICE and we don't know what part age, neglect, incompetent repair or modification plays into it.

Also a good many ICE fires are electrical in nature, one article I found suggested the Porsche Panamera fires are water causing an electrical short...............bit EVs don't have an electrical system that could fail right....

Again those of you who pretend ICE randomly burst into flames are just as dishonest as those who think EVs do, BOTH have their risks and challenges.