Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Tesla Experience - Highs and Lows

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I knew going into buying this car the experience would be different. I was aware of the issues, and service complaints. However It really was worst at times and better at times. Ultimately we decided to give the car back to Tesla. I figured I'd share this in hopes that it helps people going into the 4th quarter of the year expecting a car.

-Purchasing Experience-

We ordered our SR+ Model 3 in September. At the time we were told the car would be ready in 2-4 weeks. I'll keep this brief but our SA communicated to us that we were close multiple times, even gave us dates. After those dates kept passing into December we escalated the issue to someone above this sales person since we had mentioned we'd cancel the order because we needed a 2nd car. With texts in hand we showed the team we had been given dates of when we'd have a car. They ignored it and said it wasn't concrete. We were gaslit to hang on for the car.

To me the staff is amazing in these stores. They have to deal with so many people and so many demands from everywhere. However our experience was just a situation we didn't have a great memory of. However we got our car before end of year and were pretty happy.

Upon inspecting the car we noticed there were doors out of place, like 2-4 cm in places. But we were assured we could get it into service.

-Ownership Experience-

We set up an appointment to get the doors squared away. After waiting 2-3 weeks we finally got the car in and they fixed the doors. However now they stuck out from the car. So we had to wait another 2-3 weeks. Within this period of time we found the car to have a ton of wind noise, and it was actually getting in the door, door panel noise, autopilot failure, and rain getting.

The next few appointments most things other than the visually spotted issues were ignored or checked off as nothing to see here. We set up one more appointment where the car sat for about a week with nothing worked on it. The Advisor had taken notes of things observed on a test ride, but somehow had misplaced them or maybe never took them. When we picked up the car nothing was addressed so we took the car and set up another appointment where they couldn't find the issues.

Fast forward a few months after a few more service misses we finally see things being addressed that were missed like water getting in and the autopilot cameras having issues. At this point we're in SIP.

-Summary-

After 5 plus months of ownership we sold the car. In a lot of ways the best car we've ever owned. Our kiddo and family loved it. But the price is tough to swallow with what we went through. We are excited to own a Tesla down the line. Bummed this was our first experience. Tons of good folks in service and sales. We're looking forward to the day we decide to jump back into a Tesla. For anyone buying do your homework. Read the highs and lows. Ours felt like a 1 in 1000 case.

I just wanted to share/vent a bit about the experience.

That was not a good situation. I wonder if that is an isolated situation or how common that is. I am considering purchasing a Tesla and definitely don’t want to go through that and would not even know what to look for when picking it up.

Sorry to hear your car has issues with the build, it definitely is rare now.

for others ; always assume delivery will be middle to end of the quarter. March/June/Sept/Dec
If you place an order early in those months or the end of the end of the previous month you likely can get it very quickly (3 weeks or so). If not assume the quarter marks as noted, Telsa has done a piss poor job of being transparent about this. Has been going on for over a year.

Issues at delivery are now rare but think is important to not accept if there is something fit and finish that really bothers you. Unfortunately in this example Telsa sales said the service department could fix it after but they couldn’t.

On this forum there are many checklists of things to check at delivery if you are nervous about knowing what to look for. Most of us have flawless experiences.

Sorry to hear your car has issues with the build, it definitely is rare now.

for others ; always assume delivery will be middle to end of the quarter. March/June/Sept/Dec
If you place an order early in those months or the end of the end of the previous month you likely can get it very quickly (3 weeks or so). If not assume the quarter marks as noted, Telsa has done a piss poor job of being transparent about this. Has been going on for over a year.

Issues at delivery are now rare but think is important to not accept if there is something fit and finish that really bothers you. Unfortunately in this example Telsa sales said the service department could fix it after but they couldn’t.

On this forum there are many checklists of things to check at delivery if you are nervous about knowing what to look for. Most of us have flawless experiences.
Yup be aware of the timeline. We ordered at the end of Q3 and still had this issue and got pushed into the end of Q4.

Alot of the issues weren't just fit and finish. There was water ingress in multiple portions of the car. Including the cameras in the Pillars.

There were other issues I don't need to dive into, but alot of the issues weren't 1 week finds, or even first inspection finds. Whatever the guy is saying about custard vs cream you lost me there. I like a basic donut that does it's thing.