Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Tesla - Model 3 SR+ Multiple problems since pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could go buy a Bentley and it won’t be perfect. Most people stretch their Honda/Toyota budget for a Tesla and expect to get the luxury red carpet treatment. People coming from a Porsche, Mercedes, BMW understand that even luxury cars have issues and treating the service people with decency and respect go a long way. People need to manage their expectations.
Yeah I guess so, its just kind of annoying taking my car into the service center every other week, especially when one of their biggest selling points is less service appointments.

People coming from a Porsche, Mercedes, BMW understand that even luxury cars have issues and treating the service people with decency and respect go a long way. People need to manage their expectations.
Actually, I hated my Audi dealer because of their snotty ass 'tude. They were all just as rude as their customer base. I was an import because I drove 75 miles to that dealer to get the car and you would have thought I was from the farm with hay in my hair. So it's not just Tesla with service issues. Some of the best service I've had was from my local Chrysler dealer of all places. Didnt care for my BMW dealer either.. my 525 was "rich enough" to get their respect apparently :/

But to a point, when you pay 60, 80, 100K for a car, any car, that sets a certain level of expectation. This is not a throw away smart car or a cheap Toyota ( is there such a thing anymore?). Up to now, Tesla has gotten away with what they do because they were the only game in town for a real EV. Thats not true today and will be less true tomorrow. Mercedes, Porsche,Ford and some of the newbies will eat their lunch if they dont step up their game.

My mobile rangers have all been top flight guys.. I wish the other manufacturers would copy that type of service. Having to go to a dealer for something like a tire rotation or a 12 volt battery replacement just sucks.. getting it done in my driveway is paradise :D. Just saying..

Actually, I hated my Audi dealer because of their snotty ass 'tude. They were all just as rude as their customer base. I was an import because I drove 75 miles to that dealer to get the car and you would have thought I was from the farm with hay in my hair. So it's not just Tesla with service issues. Some of the best service I've had was from my local Chrysler dealer of all places. Didnt care for my BMW dealer either.. my 525 was "rich enough" to get their respect apparently :/

But to a point, when you pay 60, 80, 100K for a car, any car, that sets a certain level of expectation. This is not a throw away smart car or a cheap Toyota ( is there such a thing anymore?). Up to now, Tesla has gotten away with what they do because they were the only game in town for a real EV. Thats not true today and will be less true tomorrow. Mercedes, Porsche,Ford and some of the newbies will eat their lunch if they dont step up their game.

My mobile rangers have all been top flight guys.. I wish the other manufacturers would copy that type of service. Having to go to a dealer for something like a tire rotation or a 12 volt battery replacement just sucks.. getting it done in my driveway is paradise :D. Just saying..
That was my point. People coming from the non luxury vehicles up to a luxury type vehicle in Tesla expected a major upgrade in service like a red carpet experience. It just depends on the person you're working with, like you said. A service tech at Chrysler could treat you like a king versus an Audi service tech could look down their nose at you. All of the service guys I've worked with at the Service Center in St. Louis have been great but you hear of other places being not so great. Just depends on the people.

Also, people saying "just wait until the other OEMs start releasing their EV's. They're gonna eat Tesla's lunch." Tesla will be on top for the next 10 years at least. They're years ahead of the competition with manufacturing, software, EV technology, and charging network. And I don't see anyone catching up any time soon.

Sorry, but a Tesla Model 3 is not a luxury car. It's cool and fast and full of new technology, but it's definitely not luxury.
1643993674823.png

Your opinion goes against most car experts but ok.

Source: Best Luxury Cars - Top Rated Luxury Car Models

#10 on KBB's list. And I'm not downplaying the car, but to call it luxury is a overstatement no matter how the interweb classifies it. My 2013 VW Beetle TDi was more luxurious than my Model 3, is is our A4 and Q5.

But I digress.
It could be the worst luxury car in the world. It's still in the luxury category according to most car experts like KBB or Motortrend who have both been around longer than the "interweb." KBB founded in 1926. Motortrend founded in 1949. It's ok to have a contrarian opinion. Lots of people do.

Reactions: XPsionic
View attachment 764841

Your opinion goes against most car experts but ok.

Source: Best Luxury Cars - Top Rated Luxury Car Models

If it’s a luxury car, then it’s interior materials are that of a $20K car. Sorry to burst your bubble.

The exterior is another matter. Bad panel gaps, misaligned panels, paint choices that should be on a sub $20K car.

Yeah, yeah I know what you fanboys always say - ‘go buy another car, Tesla is not for you’. To those, I say - look at my signature. 😏

To the OP: I feel your pain. When I took delivery of my 2013 Model S, on the drive home there were issues, already. (Sounds familiar?)

Rear view camera was not working. When I got home, I had an impromptu gathering of my friends who all came to see this new toy I had bought. I had plugged in my S to charge it a bit. But I could not unplug! No matter what I tried. my friends were wondering when they would get a test ride, but I was too embarrassed to tel, them I could not unplug my car!

A call to Tesla, and the rep said to press the release charging cable button from the main screen, not the Tesla charging connector. Oh, I see! But why would it not work? No answer. A reboot fixed the rear view camera issue. These are things not immediately apparent to a new owner. Later, rebooting becomes part of every day life. Sigh. 😏

these might seem like small issues, but they spoil the new car experience. If you couple that with surly customer service people (back then they were super nice, though) it creates a bad taste in your mouth.

If it’s a luxury car, then it’s interior materials are that of a $20K car. Sorry to burst your bubble.

The exterior is another matter. Bad panel gaps, misaligned panels, paint choices that should be on a sub $20K car.

Yeah, yeah I know what you fanboys always say - ‘go buy another car, Tesla is not for you’. To those, I say - look at my signature. 😏

To the OP: I feel your pain. When I took delivery of my 2013 Model S, on the drive home there were issues, already. (Sounds familiar?)

Rear view camera was not working. When I got home, I had an impromptu gathering of my friends who all came to see this new toy I had bought. I had plugged in my S to charge it a bit. But I could not unplug! No matter what I tried. my friends were wondering when they would get a test ride, but I was too embarrassed to tel, them I could not unplug my car!

A call to Tesla, and the rep said to press the release charging cable button from the main screen, not the Tesla charging connector. Oh, I see! But why would it not work? No answer. A reboot fixed the rear view camera issue. These are things not immediately apparent to a new owner. Later, rebooting becomes part of every day life. Sigh. 😏

these might seem like small issues, but they spoil the new car experience. If you couple that with surly customer service people (back then they were super nice, though) it creates a bad taste in your mouth.
If I'm in a fanboy bubble, the bubble includes KBB and Motortrend. I'm sorry you had a poor experience. My experience has been great so far. See how anecdotal evidence works?

10 years is optimistic.. I see a "sea change" in less than 5 for Tesla. in the next two, there will many new players and give it two to three to sort out. By year 5, people will be more on board with EVs, manufacturers will have their legs under them for building EVs and sourcing batteries. Get out the popcorn.. it will be quite the ride :)

10 years is optimistic.. I see a "sea change" in less than 5 for Tesla. in the next two, there will many new players and give it two to three to sort out. By year 5, people will be more on board with EVs, manufacturers will have their legs under them for building EVs and sourcing batteries. Get out the popcorn.. it will be quite the ride :)

From Morgan Stanley. I'll have my popcorn ready.

Reactions: ODWms

You couldn't have said it better my friend. Thanks for the input.

If I'm in a fanboy bubble, the bubble includes KBB and Motortrend. I'm sorry you had a poor experience. My experience has been great so far. See how anecdotal evidence works?
I’ve had way more. Way, way more. Not uncommon, with early Teslas. I’ve known many, met many, as an enthusiast and early adopter. Not one will tell you they had zero issues, not one. Anyway, go live your life. You’ll learn what it means to have Tesla throttle your supercharging speeds one day.

Right now, life’s good,enjoy it. Why not. After all you’ve worked hard to earn the money to get what you wanted.

I was like you, only much more of a rabid fanboy, until.. well only six months ago. One day, the light bulb went off. The S charging rate is so slow, it takes 1:5 hours to charge to 195 miles. Unusable for any travel outside its single charge range. Not just me, even 2017 100Ds are reporting some throttling.

I have tolerated very bad issues in my S. 2 drive train units (again a common issue in early Teslas), rear window glass that fell down inside the door, a rear hatch window that was replaced, sunroof that was replaced, and many other small and medium size issues.

On my 3, lesser number of issues, but they are there. Front door check straps that make a horrible creaking noise (search YT, another common issue) that have been replaced a year back, and have started making the same sound again, windshield with multiple pits visible upon delivery and Tesla never fixed them as they said they could have happened afterwards 😕🤦🏻‍♂️.

As a cherry on top, they gave us the V11.

Come on. Enough already. If they can’t get their $hit together, I’m just gonna drop em. Simple. My hard earned money goes else where.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP, I feel your pain. coming into a new brand, receiving a brand new car with issues right off the bat, would leave a bad taste in my mouth as well. Tesla is pumping out thousands of cars and unfortunately, some, if not all will have varying degrees of issues. my wife and I are coming from owning mulitiple Lexus', a couple of VW's, an Infiniti and a Porsche. before buying my 3P, I essentially lowered my expectations in terms of paint/build quality. the car came w/ a bunch of small issues, (multiple surface scratches, wonky trim pieces, a rear door that doesn't close 'perfectly' like the other 3, etc.) but I let the issues go bc I was buying an incredibly quick EV w/ way more tech than anything else I had owned. we have a MYP on order for my wife and I told her, forget the luxury of your current Lexus, you won't find it w/ the Tesla, regardless of the $75k we're paying for it. hopefully your issue will be sorted and you'll be able to enjoy your new car.

Reactions: FatNate
That’s just one, fanboy. I’ve had way more. Way, way more. Not uncommon, with early Teslas. I’ve known many, met many, as an enthusiast and early adopter. Not one will tell you they had zero issues, not one. Anyway, go live your life. You’ll learn what it means to have Tesla throttle your supercharging speeds one day.

Right now, life’s good,enjoy it. Why not. After all you’ve worked hard to earn the money to get what you wanted.

I was like you, only much more of a rabid fanboy, until.. well only six months ago. One day, the light bulb went off. The S charging rate is so slow, it takes 1:5 hours to charge to 195 miles. Unusable for any travel outside its single charge range. Not just me, even 2017 100Ds are reporting some throttling.

I have tolerated very bad issues in my S. 2 drive train units (again a common issue in early Teslas), rear window glass that fell down inside the door, a rear hatch window that was replaced, sunroof that was replaced, and many other small and medium size issues.

On my 3, lesser number of issues, but they are there. Front door check straps that make a horrible creaking noise (search YT, another common issue) that have been replaced a year back, and have started making the same sound again, windshield with multiple pits visible upon delivery and Tesla never fixed them as they said they could have happened afterwards 😕🤦🏻‍♂️.

As a cherry on top, they gave us the V11.

Come on. Enough already. If they can’t get their $hit together, I’m just gonna drop em. Simple. My hard earned money goes else where.
With all of your issues, I’m not sure why you haven’t moved on yet. If I had half the issues you had I wouldn’t have bought a second Tesla. I have had nothing but great experiences so far. I could care less if anyone calls a Model 3 a luxury car or not. My point was most car experts call the Model 3 a luxury car. And that’s because of all of the technology. If you value high quality materials over technology then Tesla isn’t your type of luxury.

Reactions: XPsionic
It would not let me attach a video, but here is a link to a tweet I posted yesterday with the video.

That horrible sound seems like it's the oil pump or the coolant system on the heat exchange in the motor. That sound is not normal, certainly. When my car is pre-conditioning and the motor pumps are working at full steam, you can hear them running but they just sound like a pump doing work. Yours sounds like there's something wrong with an impeller, or like splines have machined teeth off a plastic gear inside the housing. I've heard the noise before from inexpensive water pumps.

I'd be sure to get that checked ASAP because if plastic bits are floating around inside the motor housing or inside the oil galleys, there's no telling if they've clogged the sprayers that keep the bearings lubricated, or if they've just been caught in the oil filter.

(moderator note)

Posts with the term "fanboy" that are directed at another poster here will be removed as that is considered a personal attack. I didnt do it up thread because there was other relevant information in the posts that reference it, but I suggest not using that term towards another member.

It is expected with 120 V in cold weather.

There's enough power with 120 V in summer to charge your car.

However, in winter, there is not enough power for 120 to BOTH heat your battery up AND charge your battery.

All the 120 V power would first be devoted to heat your battery up so your battery does not get any charge or even lose charge if the shore power is not enough for the heating job.

Your solution is to get 240V for cold weather.
Weird my mach-e has has zero problems charging with 120vac and sub freezing temps down to -5F. Should have my Tesla Model 3 in march. Hopefully this is not accurate information...