Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Tesla (Model X) owner and first impression on Autopilot and FSD...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery for my first Telsa two weeks ago. Waited 400+ days for the refreshed Model X. It's a beautiful car and our family all love it. Out of my curiosity I tried Autopilot and FSD (not FSD beta). The overall impression a bit disappointing in the first two days.

Autopilot does a good job following traffic. My wife said she has been using it on the highway all the time. For me I drive on local streets most of the time. My understanding is Autopilot doesn't make turns automatically. I found it causes more stress since I have to guide the car to the right lane when turning. So I decided to give it a try for FSD subscription.

The non-beta version of FSD provides lane changing capability on the highway. It doesn't seem to recognize speed limit on highway ramps. For one time, the car suddenly displayed something like "autopilot not available for the rest of the trip" and I have no idea why. Another time the car deliberately decided to go to the opposite lane on a local curvy street and I had to correct it. When passing traffic lights, FSD needs driver's confirmation by engaging the acceleration pedal otherwise the car would stop even when it's green light. It's kind of annoying when passing multiple green lights in a row.

Autopark doesn't always recognize parking spot. I can understand that since my previous Mercedes Benz did no better job. When the car does recognizes a parking spot, if I click the parking button accidentally (instead of pressing down the button until autopark is confirmed), the car won't give me a second chance even when the car stays at the same spot. Autopark didn't align my car straight for parallel parking.

I haven't had a successful smart summoning yet. When I parked the car in a spot where there are bushes close behind and tried to start smart summoning, the Tesla app said something like "vision system temporarily degraded". Need a few more tries to understand more about this feature.

I'm still in the waiting queue for FSD beta. Hopefully it could bring better experience otherwise I think the FSD subscription won't benefit much for my use.

Last edited:
Non-Beta FSD isn’t really meant for local streets, so don’t expect much. Works well on the highway. Navigate on Autopilot, Autopark, and Smart Summon have always been quirky. If you do get FSD Beta, you’ll be testing the software whenever you use it, so don’t expect to have relaxing drives on city streets.

I‘ve had non-Beta FSD in both our Teslas for almost 4 years, so I’m familiar with what it does and doesn’t do well and have set my expectations accordingly. The quirks in Navigate on Autopilot have been there pretty much from the get go, so I’m a bit disappointed by the lack of progress.

Non-Beta FSD isn’t really meant for local streets, so don’t expect much. Works well on the highway. Navigate on Autopilot, Autopark, and Smart Summon have always been quirky. If you do get FSD Beta, you’ll be testing the software whenever you use it, so don’t expect to have relaxing drives on city streets.

I‘ve had non-Beta FSD in both our Teslas for almost 4 years, so I’m familiar with what it does and doesn’t do well and have set my expectations accordingly. The quirks in Navigate on Autopilot have been there pretty much from the get go, so I’m a bit disappointed by the lack of progress.
I wouldn’t expect much if FSD is free like Autopilot. At $199 per month, FSD should have been better and more reliable IMO. Anyway I feel good that I didn’t pull the trigger to pay FSD in full.

I wouldn’t expect much if FSD is free like Autopilot. At $199 per month, FSD should have been better and more reliable IMO. Anyway I feel good that I didn’t pull the trigger to pay FSD in full.
At this point, EAP is a better option than FSD if you want some of the features that aren’t included in basic AP. FSD doesn’t provide much additional value today. When I get a new Tesla, I’ll purchase EAP rather than FSD and subscribe to FSD when it becomes worthwhile.

I haven't had a successful smart summoning yet. When I parked the car in a spot where there are bushes close behind and tried to start smart summoning, the Tesla app said something like "vision system temporarily degraded". Need a few more tries to understand more about this feature.
This is currently a bug, one I am experiencing too. There are some reports of this here on the forum, plus I brought this up to Tesla Service via the app sharing a screen recording of the issue.

Try turning off Sentry Mode and then try Smart Summon.

The bug is present on V. 2022.28.2
Non-Beta FSD isn’t really meant for local streets, so don’t expect much.
It's really only good for going straight and takes the drudgery out of surface streets stop & go traffic. Be ready to take over if you're approaching an intersection that is backed up. Non-Beta FSD will put you in the middle of an intersection if you let it.